Tuesday, December 14, 2010

heavenly hosts

Why, thanks for the complements on the new header. That is in my front yard--we had 4 candy canes in the front garden but now we're down to three--either the wind or snow knocked one over and it is buried beneath a drift. My decorating skills are paltry at best, our lights are crooked and falling down. At night we have nothing on our neighbors who evidently read the tutorial on Hanging Christmas Lights 101. Our lights look so pathetic that I'm kind of embarrassed to turn them on, but it's too frigid to go stand on a ladder and try to fix them. And we're so far back from the road that only our few neighbors can really see the lights, they're mostly turned on for our own benefit. But honestly, there's not an ugly spot around our property right now, except just beside the driveway where that lazy dog pees yellow splotches because he doesn't want to be troubled to jump through the drifts.

Unless I get lazy, which is what happened yesterday. You see, in Wisconsin, it's smart to pull on snow pants, boots, coat, hat and mittens if you're heading outdoors for any length of time. Common sense--keeps you dry and warm in the snow. But I presumed Mr. Furry-Lazy-Bones (AKA "Jax") would pull his usual Holy crap it's freakin' COLD out here--I'll just whiz a little by the edge of the drive where they plowed a path and then hurtle my body weight towards the front door so this crazy lady can let me back in the house. Naturally the little monster decided to mess with me when I eschewed snow pants and grabbed his leash.

He took a running plunge into the nearest snow drift, dragging me behind him. Within seconds I was in snow past my knees--at least a 3 foot drift--wet, cold and irritated.

Fast forward to 5:30 this morning when I got up early to watch the meteor shower. (Have you ever seen one? I never have until this morning.) I pulled on an extra fleece, snow pants, coat, hat and mittens over my pajamas. I stood on the driveway looking at the starry sky, marveling at the vast beauty and mystery of space and God and the universe. Mr. D let the dog out and he made a beeline for the edge of the driveway, peed, and sprinted straight back to the house. I had half a mind to grab him by the collar and drag him into a snow drift.

The meteor shower was a neat thing to see--I'm glad I made the effort. Granted, it felt a little spooky to stand in the silence and watch the occasional blast of light flash past in the sky. The experience gave me good time to meditate, pray and be still. The night sky is so beautiful, yet I rarely take time to give it my full attention. Imagine if you looked at it several times a week--how familiar it would become, how much more you'd notice about it.

Spill it, reader. Do you look up?

22 comments:

  1. I've never seen one, that sounds awesome. So glad you got to see it.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do look up...it's amazing what you see. Unfortunately, we were fogged in last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persied meteor shower---it's in August (warmer for sure, but at least you didn't have to deal with mosquitoes!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only been a short while since Jack Horheimer of PBS passed away after years of "Keep Looking Up" encouraged us to see what hangs above us every night and the wonders inherent in seeing. I took an Astronomy course in College and we saw the Moons of Jupiter and Saturn's rings thru some hecka huge telescopes fifteen miles up the Fl Keys where no light interfered. It was one of the five most amazing experiences of my life. Incredible and I encourage each of us to take that class and then teach our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I watched a meteor shower about 15 years ago in Arizona. Very cool.

    Our Christmas lights outdoors consist of one measly string across the front of the porch, and the decorations inside aren't much better.. LOL

    Oh well.
    Di

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've laid out on the picnic table at night and watched a meteor shower - but that was in the summer.

    Don't know that I'd be so brave to step out in Wisconsin....burrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look up, but I didn't last night. And you'd never catch me standing outside at 5:30 in frigid weather to do it. I'd be the one peeking out the windows, hoping I could catch a glimpse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a hard time of year to remember to look up - thanks for he reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do. I wish I had known about the meteor shower. I would have been right there with you this morning, albeit a few miles further north, looking up in amazement, silently praying and wishing on a star perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pets never do what you want them to. ( I have a story I might need to share on my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another blogger mentioned the meteor shower. I didn't even know it was happening.

    Standing out in the dark, looking at the sky and praying sounds like a very good idea. It's hard to see the stars through LA smog, but I'm heading to Vermont next week. The stars are brilliant there, probably like where you live. I'll be sure to look up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a meteor shower about 17years ago. My boyfriend at the time and I went out and watched on a summer night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen meteor showers and the Northern Lights. Both are amazing, but the Lights made me speechless...Space and all things with it are beyond my brain's ability to comprehend, so I just appreciate.

    On a different note, it's interesteing to read early astronomers accounts of meteors. Even in the Renaissance they hold such wonder for space phenomenon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's funny that you ask this, because last night when the girls and I got home from seeing the Nutcracker, we couldn't help but notice how bright the stars were and that Orion's Belt was right above our house.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I try. I missed this one, but I've seen them before. I remember learning that the sun can't "fall". (It's a star, right?) I'm embarrassed to tell you how old I was!

    And it was SO COLD last night!! Colder here in Florida than parts of Maine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post. And yes, I do look up. I try not to take anything for granted, even a deer after seeing hundreds of them.

    Love the new header!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have very, very tall trees, so I rarely look up here. Can't see the sky....which is weird after growing up someplace where you can see the next town 6 miles away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I have not seen a meteor shower. I do look up, and just last night the mister and I were discussing the way city light pollution steals away the magic to be seen above us. *sigh* (Like I needed another reason to want to be back in Honduras?!)It's also reassuring to look up and know that the same sky over my head is above the Boy's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, that dog certainly isn't doing much to make you fall in love with him, now is he? Little sass! You are the wrong person to knock into a snow bank for heavens sake! What a turkey!

    I didn't even know there was going to be a meteor shower. Not that I would have gotten out of bed to go and stand outside in the -6 degree weather this morning. You are brave! And I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I would love to do that sometime. Perhaps in summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, that sounds amazing. I've never seen a meteor shower but I'd love to!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ive never seen one either...but I do adore your header:)

    I need a pair of wellies!!

    Stop by and say Hello♥

    Enter my FAB Spoil Me Fashion Jewelry Giveaway!!♥

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.