Thursday, December 30, 2010

hitting the hill

We're lucky enough to live about 5 minutes from a fantastic sledding hill. Several times during the winter we'll load up the Momvan and head over to take advantage of the snowy hills. The climb up is kind of long and sometimes steep,

but the exhilaration of flying back down is worth the effort.

Sometimes kids will make jumps. Yesterday we found a whole series of them, the final hump large enough to send a sledder airborne.

Team testosterone looked like penguins, gliding over each bump like they were born to do it.

They begged me to take a turn, but this mama's no idiot. She used to sled over those jumps, and they are a lot of fun. It's the landing that gives her trouble. That bone-jarring contact with the frozen ground sends all her vertebrae into the wrong slots and has her making a phone call to a chiropractor within a few days. I steadfastly refused. I slid down the hill where I couldn't see any jumps built up in the snow.


Unfortunately, my sled had some kind of magnetic attraction to that largest bump at the bottom and I kept ending up near it. Usually I was able to correct my course by dragging one foot or the other--or I'd bail out before hitting that huge hump of snow. On one of my runs on the Flying Saucer, I had spun around so I couldn't see where I was going. Next thing I knew, I was off the ground and hurtling midair. I crashed onto my back after doing a complete flip, limbs, Flying Saucer, and my hat flying every which way.

On my next run, after my vision cleared and I'd assured myself that I had full range of motion, I chose a virgin stretch of snow far away from the child-constructed jumps. Safe, right?

Not really. The lip of the front of my sled snagged into the loose snow and halfway down the hill I got flipped ass-over-teakettle--a complete somersault with my sled before landing in a heap. As it turned out, there were no bunny hills for me to enjoy.

I didn't want to end up in traction, so I pulled out my camera and did what any good mama should have been doing in the first place. It killed time until Team Testosterone declared they were ready for hot chocolate.


When we return to the sledding hill, I'm wearing a crash helmet.

Spill it, reader. Do you sled? If not, what is your snow sport of preference?

Remember, December's FABULOUS is a trio of handmade things: raspberry jam (homemade and homegrown), wool hand mitts and good-for-you granola. Each comment in the comment box is an entry to win. I'll pick a lucky winner Monday!

19 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this one. I wrenched my neck sledding with Evan a few days before Christmas. ON a bunny hill. There's no hope for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos to you for getting back on the sled after the first spill. It looks like a ton of fun.

    My habit is to do just a little of whatever fun thing is happening--a quick ride on the JetSki, one mountain biking run down the mountain, for example--and then become the photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I do not sled, for all the reasons you mentioned in your post. In addition, a friend of mine is a nurse at a spinal cord and brain injury hospital in Denver. I'm not even going to tell you some of the stories she's told me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never sledded (slid? slode?) before, cuz we never had the snow! But this year it SNOWED (what global warming, eh?) and the entire town headed for the golf course and spent the day on boogey boards, road signs and inflatable beach toys.

    It looked mind-bogglingly dangerous. The hill was really steep and I was amazed there were no major broken bones or concussions. Me, I took pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love loveit. Karate-mom catches some LARGE air...*heeheehee!!
    & sincerely glad you were not hurt!!
    I got a BOX from you in todays mail!! It is waiting for me in the car!! We are having a blizzard!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE sledding. But I just can't do it with a saucer any more. I need more cushion or I'll break my back (or butt bone) for sure. I have to use some type of inner tube or something.
    Way to get back up and try it again after the first spill. I don't know if I would have been brave enough.
    That looks like an AWESOME sledding hill! Too bad they don't have tow ropes or something, huh? We have a great sledding hill by our house too and the walk back up it always a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was about 7 I broke my collar bone sledding... I was with Hubert Humphrey's granddaughter -- their steep hill had a jump and I didn't know you had to turn around to avoid hitting the trees... and I put my left collar bone in contact with a big tree... it won.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't sledded since I was a toddler living in Minnesota, and I don't remember it at all. It looks like so much fun though. Although...I'm the sort who'd go down twice and be ready for some hot chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a small yet steep sledding hill near our house. It's fun to watch the families dragging their sleds down the street - while I'm sitting in my den, sipping coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember sledding for hours as a kid...LOVED IT.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did that TWICE? Are you nuts?
    My snow fun of choice is sitting by a window, sipping cocoa and reading a book...says the Weather Wussy who moved to Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm such a pansy. My snowy sport of choice is, ah... observing. Perhaps, if we ever saw more than a day or two of 1/2" frosted ground, there would be some motivation to learn to love winter sports.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lot of fun. I don't sled, but I watch my family do it. I prefer to stomp around on snow shoes. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! I can't remember the last time I went sledding. I think it was some time before 1970. I remember enjoying the cold and the wind in my ears!

    I have no urge to waterski, surf, etc. because I know I'm just not that coordinated. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what is your snow sport of preference?

    Watching the little ones at ski school - if I must go outside. If not, I’m of the same school as Little Miss Sunshine State and sit by the window looking out at the athletes. I relocated a decade ago to No Cal after thirty years in So Fla.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Should only ride steerable sleds and wear helmets!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE sledding! Even though we've had snow every week this December, and it hasn't been above freezing, there hasn't been enough for sledding. Waaaah. I hate all other winter sports, but sledding is where it's at.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We went sledding on Tuesday. I didn't even go down the hills, I was content watching the boys just. I'm more of a spectator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We did go sledding with all the kids last week (kids ages 19-30). We tried Reid but it was too mild so we headed to Mount Misery. Talk about major jumps. All went well until the last trip down when Sam bruised her tailbone in a major way. Trip to the chiropractor Tuesday. Next year St. Nick is bringing everyone inflatable snow rings!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.