Monday, December 13, 2010

my skis are waiting by the back door

Apparently the blizzard we had over the weekend had a name. That tells you it was bad, right? We canceled all of our plans, including church, because no way, no how were we getting out of our driveway. The newspaper didn't even get delivered Sunday morning. Behold the view of our woods from the back window:

Relentless, that's what Blizzard Aiden was. We watched Elf, played games, made a lot of popcorn and lounged around in our pajamas mostly. I knitted, read and baked cookies. Precisely the sort of activity expected of one snowbound during a blizzard.

Then the sun came out, blinding us as it reflected off the snow, curing our cabin fever and beckoning us ...
I love how snow drifts and ripples, just like a lake or an ocean.

The children began building a snow fort and took the dog out for a much-needed romp ...


But he wanted none of it, broke loose and came to the door. They may have found this mutt wandering stray on the Keshena Reservation, but this dog's got no taste for snow.

So I did what any good dog owner would do. I knelt in front of the window and took his picture while laughing at him. Darn dog's gotta toughen up if he's going to live in this neck of the woods.

15 comments:

  1. Blizzards have names?!?!

    It's pretty damn cold here in Hotlanta - 20 this morning, supposed to be 13 tomorrow. But no blizzard, just a dusting of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed the crazy amounts of snow--enough to white out everything for a day and keep us in for the weekend. Some baking, lots of crafts..gingerbread houses today! (Too cold to let the kiddos out for long--but they keep asking!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Poor doggy. ;)

    The pictures are beautiful and getting snowed in and reading and knitting in PJ's sounds so good.

    We're having a heatwave and I'm heading to the beach. Such different weather scenarios. But both good. Enjoy the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like all the new pictures. My husband said that being snow bound was practice for the the nursing home...not able to go anywhere!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw..., poor doggy. At least I let Sandman stay indoors these days even if it means I am the one cleaning out the littlerbox on a daily basis now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I need a blizzard. Love the way you spent your day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's a lot of snow. Having lived through that kind of winter last year, I'm hoping that this year is snow-free.

    Love the new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your new header. i take it that is in your yard? {shudder} I'm with the dog - don't do snowy, cold weather very well. not my cup of tea at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our paper came late, too - and we're in the city! I was relaxing with a pot of coffee and my laptop, so I didn't mind the late paper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pictures are gorgeous, but if I lived there I'd be severely depressed. I'm not even coping with our temp going down to 27 degrees tonight.

    The heater is cranking up every 30 minutes and it is so dry in here that my lips are cracking.

    I'm plotting my relocation to a Caribbean island.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful--and I love the way you make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even imagine that anymore. It's like I blocked out 23 years of my life....because I'm freezing my buns off here in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blizzard Aiden? So now you are officially allowed to have 25 more blizzards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE snow days, but those that hit in our neck of the Texas woods are more accurately categorized a frost days. I suspect I would fail to truly enjoy being snowbound, but your post makes me wish for just such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snow Days are much fun - as long as it's DAY not DAAAYYYSSSS! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.