Thursday, December 16, 2010

the other classic

I know it's corny, overwrought and old-fashioned, but I do. I love White Christmas. And if my watching it on AMC or on videotape in bed next to Mr. D weren't annoying enough, I recite the dialogue along with the actors. And sing all the lyrics. Painful for my life partner? You betcha. I've tried making Team Testosterone sit through it with me, but they'll have none of it. Alas, I'm destined to spend each Christmas alone murmuring under my breath classic lines like "Let's just say we're doing it for an old pal in the army" and "Vermont should be beautiful this time of year ... all that snow..." and "Mr. Wallace was just saying how remarkable it was that Benny Haynes' sisters should have eyes."

I've brought Mr. D over to Team Love Actually, though. My Christmas charity knows no limits. The fourteenth time I watched it, he came into the room, saw it and rolled his eyes. Another one of your British films, eh? But then slowly he set his book down and gave it his full attention. He enjoyed it very much, despite the story line about the guy making a play for his best friend's wife. (Mr. D has MAJOR issues with that sort of thing.) I think now that he'll recognize Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead, he'll be more forgiving. Because we all know he's just an actor playing a different role in an entirely different project, but those good vibes will spill over, right?

True, Love Actually also means Mr. D has to suffer through my incessant swooning for this guy:

He just does NOT understand it. He gets how a girl might find Brad Pitt or George Clooney attractive, but he looks at my beloved Colin and is stymied by my faithful adoration.

Mr. D, I tell him, it doesn't matter that you don't understand. It just IS.

Actually, Alan Rickman doesn't hurt the retinas too much, either.

Nor does Hugh.

Christmas Man-Candy aside, it is a fantastic movie. Lots of laughs. Clever script. Sincere performances. That wonderful observation about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. Heck, one of the characters even ends up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!

Plus, Mr. Bean is in it.
And Emma Thompson, who every one of us would secretly love to have as a big sister.

Spill it, reader. Are you on Team Love Actually?

24 comments:

  1. I like Love Actually a good deal.

    But every Christmas, I have to watch an old animated classic. A children's sweet wonder - A Charlie Brown Christmas. Great music, lovely story. And it's the ONLY Christmas special that really talks about Jesus.

    "That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

    However, I', happy to get some Colin Firth eye candy any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I used to own it, and a whole bunch of Christmas movies including White Christmas (of course!)but sadly they will not play on US dvd players. My sister now owns them...

    Have you ever seen Truly, Madly, Deeply? It's the story with made me fall in love with Alan Rickman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugh. Anything with Hugh.

    I love While You Were Sleeping for Christmas. Not marketed as a Christmas movie, but perfect.

    This week I've recorded about ten of those cheesy Hallmark Channel and Falalala Lifetime movies. Much easier to watch when you can whiz through the ten minute commercial breaks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a little embarrassed admitting this, but I don't think I've every seen White Christmas. (None of those quotes rang any bells...) And it has been waaay too long since I've seen Miracle on 34th Street.

    Love Actually wasn't my favorite British film, but I liked it well enough. My favorite two holiday movies are The Holiday and Serendipity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this movie so much. I watched it last weekend. It pains me that I can't get Sorority Girl to watch it with me.

    Would you believe I have never seen White Christmas? I haven't seen Holiday Inn either.

    I need to get my hands on a copy of the animated Twas The Night Before Christmas...with the side story about Mr Trundle the clockmaker. THAT one is Sorority Girl's favorite and she mentioned the other night how much she loves that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Love Actually = a favorite.

    I'll throw The Holiday in the hat-ring, as well, for uplifting holiday movie fare...with my secret celebrity crush, Jack Black, in a romantic role!

    Oh, and that other guy...whatshisname...Jude Law!
    * ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should probably blog about this, but here's my nutshell theory about why you and I (and so many other sister bloggers) love Colin Firth.

    Colin is a normal guy. He's good looking, but not hot-hot-hot in a melt-the-film sort of way. He could be any guy at the playground with his children.

    We relate to Colin because he's like our husbands -- good looking, but not hot-hot-hot. Really, our menfolk should take our adoration of Colin as a compliment.

    As for Brad and George, while I think they're smokin' hot, I don't lust after them. They're actually too darn hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still a sucker for "Holiday Inn" - that was the movie in which the song "White Christmas" was first sung. Bing's version is one of my all time favorite Christmas songs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with hope505---The Holiday is one of my favs! Love Jack Black and he's not like Nacho Libre stupid in this..just a sweet loveable dork!

    Love Love Love White Christmas!!! Our middle son walks around the house singing "I wish we were back in the army"...but then again he also breaks into a singing in the rain song and dance routine whenever it rains..too cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello UK students!!!!
    Register before Jan 15thand get 1000 pounds student aid.


    http://www.eurocallingcards.com/econet/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen Love Actually. I am thinking that the divine Mr. Firth is in The King's Speech though. That's on my list of Stuff To See/Do...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I'm on Team Love Actually. I enjoy all the same eye candy with the addition of the best friend who loves Keira Knifhtley's character. His gorgeous face is one of the main reasons I'm watching a zombie show now.

    By the way, I'm also a White Christmas addict. Always have been. That must make us sisters - sisters, there were never such devoted sisters.

    -Abby

    ReplyDelete
  13. You KNOW I am all about Love Actually.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love Actually is good. but can it really top White Christmas? No. The Answer is NO.

    I even teach with it, for ONE lone line in "Gee, I Wish I was Back in the Army"....The men all danced with WACS, THE WACS WHO DRESSED IN SLACKS, Dancing cheek to cheek and pants to pants!...TO illustrate the point that women found so many types of freedom during WWII. Then I make them watch the YouTube clip of that song...very few are impressed, but I wander around all day singing that under my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter and I make a date every year to watch Love Actually...seems like it's been 7 or 8 years in a row. It always makes me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! Watched it again last night. We are in love with the same guy!
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Out of that cast it is Hugh Grant for me--I just love how he doesn't take himself seriously at all. Plus, I adore all Nick Hornby novels and Hugh was wonderful in "About a Boy."

    Overall though, I'm with Bossy on Team Cusack!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've made me remember how much I loved that movie. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my GAWD, I love this movie. It is one of my all time favorites. LOVE IT. And it is one of the movies my hubby actually likes too. You forgot Liam Neeson in this movie! I usually don't find him attractive but I love him in this movie. Loves. Not as much as Colin, but still. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. We are TOTAL movie twins. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love Actually annoyed me the first time I saw it, but in the 47 times I've seen it since I've grown to have deep affection for it. So sweet. Merry Christmas.

    Can I admit here that my favorite Christmas movie is The Homecoming? You know, The Waltons?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Watched Love, Actually with my boyfriend again last night. When Christmas is gone, I get sad and want to hold on. I recite the words to White Christmas too-and my boyfriend doesn't get why I get more pissed at Colin's wife who cheats than I do at Alan...but really-WHO cheats on Mr. Darcy?! WHO is that woman?!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.