Tuesday, December 28, 2010

slovenly

I embraced the deadly sin of sloth. Wrapped my arms around that big fluffy afghan of Doing Nothing, Not a Gol-Darn Thing, and plunked my self right in the center of it. Dishes in the sink? Check. Crumbs and litter on the floor? Check. Children plugged in too many minutes to count? Check. Unshowered, unshaven, unshellacked? Check. Eschewing an alarm clock, I opted to rise at my leisure. I moved from bed to card table in the center of the living room where a 1000 piece puzzle sat waiting. I grunted unintelligibly at Team Testosterone and let them fend for themselves at breakfast time. I picked up Freedom and got lost in Patty and Walter's problems for another hour.

Then both my cell phone and house phone rang at the same time.

On the cell was my BFF wanting to dish about Christmas. On the land line was Mr. D wanting to take his family to breakfast in 20 minutes. I glanced over at Team Testosterone--in pajamas, teeth unbrushed, engrossed in racing Mario and Donkey Kong and Yoshi around a track. "Sure!"

In 20 minutes I had commandeered the brushing of teeth and changing into street clothes whilst tying my hair back. So long as no one sat too near us, they'd never know how funky we smelled.

After pancakes and eggs and cheese curds (!), we returned to our Scheduled Day of Sloth. We snacked on Christmas cookies and made more of a mess on the living room carpet with game pieces. I read, they gamed. I slid puzzle pieces into place, they played with toys. My unproductivity reached an all-time high while the house fell into further disarray and Mr. D returned from a day of work to find me drinking tea out of a dirty coffee cup, rinsed out at the sink because the dishwasher was full of dirty dishes and I'd forgotten to run it. He may or may not have regarded me with some disgust. My sole accomplishments all day? Finishing the puzzle, 200 pages of the book and most of the caramel corn. I rallied before bedtime and shoved a load of laundry into the washing machine. My sole contribution to managing the household. Tomorrow would be a new day. I'd shed laziness and return to my post refreshed and ready to roll.

Still, it felt good, all that sloth. I never lay around all day unless I'm really sick and then I can't enjoy how luxurious it feels to do absolutely nothing.

Spill it, reader. Do you ever indulge in a little sloth? Regularly or once in a blue moon?

Don't forget: December's FABULOUS is a handmade trio of wool hand mitts, raspberry jam (homegrown, too!) and good-for-you granola. How can you win? Each comment in the comment box is an entry--I'll announce the lucky winner Monday!

27 comments:

  1. I love days like that! (Well...cheese curds for breakfast is sort of questionable---kind of like the house burger at The Old Fashioned in Madison..egg, burger plus cheese curds..makes my stomach turn just thinking about it!). We've had a couple of days of nothing..laundry and dishes are done, but I haven't turned the stove on since Christmas Eve! (Love it when mom sends home a boat load of Christmas leftovers)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... we were so sick over Christmas there was no way we could even consider leaving the house in our slothy state of smell and appearance... Hee hee

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love days like that! I try to save one weekend day where Landen and I hang out in our pajamas and indulge in our favorite comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm snuggling up into my favorite chair with the tv remote in hand. The only problem is that there is NOTHING worth watching on tv on a week day.

    But I am enjoying some home made 'nanner bread and Christmas candy. MMMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those days..and what make those sloth days even less "guilty"...a huge snow storm..one can't go any where anyway..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you! You deserve to sloth! Sounds like the perfect day.

    As for me, I've been on Sloth Mountain in Vermont for over a week now. With the exception of cooking and cleaning up after meals, I've been working on a puzzle, watching classic movies, enjoying my adorable niece, snowshoeing and admiring the snow, indulging in cookies, tons of cheese, cocktails and ice cream, blogging, catching up with my family, most of the time while lying on the couch. It's heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore it. I worked myself to death in the three days before Christmas, so thanks to a healthy covering of snow (which in Atlanta means everything shuts down--no church!) I stayed in my pajamas the entire day and read all the free books (oldish series romances) that I'd downloaded to my new Kindle. Yesterday I read the very first Gabriel Allon novel by Daniel Silva, my first purchase on my Kindle. Late last evening, I finally decided to take a bath because I couldn't stand myself. There was plenty of food and everybody was on their own. I believe a day of sloth here and there is good for the soul. I call it "regenerating my batteries" rather than sloth, which makes it easier to get away with.(I left that midwestern hanging preposition just for you).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Periodically, a little Nothin' Doin' is balm to the soul. It's the sort of thing that one can justify as a reward for the craziness that typically proceeds a sloth day, or simply as the realistic end result of extended Busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Days of sloth become more easily obtainable as your kids get older--though I must confess that it is a rare day of sloth that doesn't include a load or two of laundry--just to keep the guilt at bay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas Day was one of sloth for us. At one point, it occurred to me to maybe start a load of laundry, but I intentionally did not, as that's just wrong on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last night when I got home from work, I made a couple turkey sandwiches for dinner for the fam then went and layed on the couch, watched Judge Judy - then I headed off to my bedroom to read on my new Kindle, write a little on my laptop and did nothing else. That was my evening of sloth...until about 9:00 when I crawled out of my heated bed and roasted a chicken for dinner the next day. Unfortunately, when I got up this morning, I saw "someone(s)" had eaten the chicken between 11pm and the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great day! Hope u had a great Christmas...I am typing on my new iPad so mine was great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE lazy days!!
    I don't typically get them since I'm so lazy overall and there's always something that needs done around the house. I felt like I was getting sick on Sunday and did next to nothing the entire day. I didn't really feel bad, but I just didn't feel completely well, so I guess that was my slovenly day. I showered and I pushed start on the dishwasher and that was as much as I could be bothered with!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Went to a rather 5-star lunch, at which we agreed that if we were rich we'd totally eat out 3 times a day. Washed lots of sheets and towels, due to hordes of visitors going home (they are draped everywhere, drying). Went to collect Max from a friend's house (where he'd been playing xbox all afternoon) and stayed 2 hours helping them finish up stray bottles of wine.

    Very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm an expert at sloth. I mastered the art at about 12 years old and have practiced it ever since :-)

    What are cheese curds?!?! It sounds, um, interesting.

    And for the record-- the holidays are for guilt-free sloth days. Honest.

    xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  16. It seems like this only happens when one or more of my grown-ups are here. I haven't cleaned the waffle maker from yesterday, there is a scarf that I'm knitting on the coffee table and the hamper is overflowing.

    I plead "not lazy". There was a museum to go to and Manatees to see and blog posts to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've described a perfect lazy day, especially the jigsaw puzzle. I haven't been able to do one since we have had feline children. They regard it as the ultimate in laziness (i.e. not doing anything to benefit them). They love to lie down right in the middle of it all and bat the loose pieces off the table. Your day sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll sloth once in awhile, but I can't when there is a mess around me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sloth days are great and yes, I indulge in them whenever I can-pure bliss. With kids grown and gone, semi-retirement equals days with no real commitments. My husband who retired five years ago, calls it a good day if he never puts his sox on his feet !~!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a perfect day! I'm looking around me now and thinking perhaps I read a little too much today!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to give myself permission to have a day like this once in a while. That nagging voice in the back of my head keeps me moving forward though. In 2011 I hope to build more "me" time into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is it bad that I wouldn't feel guilty at all? But then again, I don't have kids. Unfortunately I don't GET a day of sloth. Hopefully my day off on Friday will be the laziest, pj-iest, most downcomforterest, splendoroust day ever.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This doesn't sound like a deadly sin. It sounds like being, which is the hardest thing we ever do. Good for you for being in the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm all for sloth. One thing I don't understand is this: we did not host Christmas at our house, but our living room is just as awfully messy as if we had. I wonder who will clean it up.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.