Wednesday, January 26, 2011

resolutions

More of a to-do list, really. I came up with a short list of goals for the coming year because I'm a list-y kind of gal. If I don't write things down, they won't get accomplished. And as a forward-looking, progressive sort, I find New Year's goals push me more than keeping a vague idea in my head.

Let's see where we're at....

The 100 trees are ordered and paid for out of our land account. I'll pick them up sometime in April and plant them then.

The Milwaukee Public Museum checks off 1 of our 4 cultural events, so we're off to a good start on that count.

Eliminate one pile of junk. I did clear out the craft closet recently and send a bin of bits and baubles to Happyland Elementary's fabulous art teacher, but the real issue is this:
The photo albums. Good grief! I might have Mr. D lock me in a closet until they're updated and filed and finished. I keep sliding that pile back and forth when I vacuum. It's high time to tackle that mess.

Fix screens.
I took them off the windows and washed them last fall. I'll mend them next month because that seems like a good winter chore, right?

Paint laundry room. Yes. I did paint my laundry room two years ago, but ran out of paint. The end result is pretty sloppy, so I need to get another can of paint and finish the work. Then I need to organize that room, add more hooks for the boys to hang their jackets and backpacks, clean out the shoe basket, sort through the stuff that accumulates on top of my washer and dryer.


I'll get to it when it warms up a little.

Edge garden. Another summertime task.

Read 24 books. I read Jonathan Franzen's Freedom for January's book club and now I'm tag-teaming through Hillary Clinton's memoirs and the first Percy Jackson book. By next week I should have finished them both, so 1/8 accomplished. Not bad.


Compete in one karate tournament. This is my most personal goal of the year. I don't "do" karate in front of other people and I think tournaments are dorky. But I want to prove to myself that I'm better than average and the only way to pit myself against competition is to get in a tournament. I'll probably do a bo staff form and spar, but the next tournament isn't until April. Until then I need to practice every week.

Make homemade bread.

I posted about this resolution over at the Eco Women blog.
Go ahead, I'll wait while you follow the link.
So, in an attempt to make my kitchen less wasteful, my family's diet more healthy and save some dough (hahaha), the bread maker is permanently on my kitchen counter. It's not a "Sometimes" treat, I'm making bread every week. So far this is my biggest success on my list.

Spill it, reader. Did you set any goals for the year? The month? The season? How's your progress?

23 comments:

  1. * Blog at least twice a week. Hmmm, fail.

    * Take my husband on a date once a month.
    So far, so good.

    * Meal plan.
    One week done, now we're back to cooking on the fly. Gotta get back to it because I really liked it.

    * Go to Holland.
    In March!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't make resolutions, but I did deal with one huge pile of clutter this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. survive... that's the biggest goal {grin}

    2. get back to eating more healthy

    3. cook more often (see #2 above)

    4. take things in stride.

    i want a bread maker...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you and I have the same bread maker. How is the bread making coming?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know about my eco goals already and I've talked about my weight and health goals on my blog. Beyond those, I'm focused on my writing this year and achieving some goals in that department.

    BTW, you totally inspired me to replace my broken breadmaker. My old one broke and I could not get it repaired, so we were without homemade bread for months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you -- getting stuff done!
    Personally I'm impressed that you're willing to compete publicly. I also, in all things, attempt to compete with myself and prove my abilities to myself. I'm also my own toughest critic. Sometimes some other opinions and standardized achievement levels are a good reality check for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic goals - even better that you're holding yourself accountable. I'm right there with you on the photo albums. I still have a closet full of photo's to go through once my home is done.

    You Go Green Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't usually make resolutions. Probably because I would just lose the list in one of those piles of paper I need to clear out of here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you've got a great list of goals for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a spiral notebook right next to my computer and I keep adding to it. I have crossed off a few things... two. I did join a bookclub at this adorable new bookstore... Apple Blossom Books. Such an inviting atmosphere... sort of reminds me of 'The Shop Around the Corner' in the movie 'You've Got Mail'. And there's this Willy Wonka door in the center that invites you to hop on in to The Carmel Crisp Shop. YUMMERS!! Who cares what they're reading... hee, hee, hee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW. I feel very goaless. (Is that a word?) You have a sizeable checklist and thus far, it sounds like you're kicking butt.

    Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to make bread every day. It gets easy once it becomes a HABIT and you know the recipes off by heart.

    The photo albums! I'm doing the same thing! I have to remove all of the pics from existing albums, because the rainforest damp has got into them. Some photos are ruined. Ordering new albums online. I printed out a bunch of photos to add to the heap.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is an awesome list!

    No real resolutions from me, except maybe to find a better balance between work/home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still working on 'em but progress is being made :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I've got enough going on this year that I don't really need any additional goals--I just want to accomplish the "have-to" items this year--like finish my master's, deal with my son's high school graduation and college stuff; big things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love goals, and the new year I'm very motivated
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I read your list I thought you wrote "Karaoke" tournament and got all excited for you. Karate just doesn't warm my heart as much as Karaoke, but... go, you!

    I sparred once in high school with a very tall girl and she really hurt me! I never went back. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I recommend Art in the Park for another cultural event. There is such a variety of art available. It's outdoors, there is music all day, and there's a concession area for foods, too. It's usually the first weekend in August, downtown in City Park.
    My goals? Rest, recover, reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My goals are slow going so far, but I'm thinking about them, so that's good, right?

    I want to get back to making homemade bread too...I'll add it to the list.

    I think you'll like the Percy Jackson series.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello~Looks like you're off to a fabulous start in the new year.
    You've got quite a few things accomplished and January hasn't ended. You can't start next month with mine.
    Now I'm feeling an urgency for Valentines Day, especially since it's just around the corner.
    It seems like I've just removed my Christmas wreaths (probably cause I just did) and now it's time to spread some hearts around.
    I'm looking forward to all the inspiration you're sure to be filling my life with. Starting with a few good reads.

    Sweet Wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good God woman - that's not a list it's a manifesto! My goal has gone swimmingly and I have a post in draft. You’ve inspired me to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. keep my kitchen and living room level clean and tidy so i'm not embarassed if people randomly pop in. So far, so good. I hate the feeling of being embarassed of your home, or thinking that people think you are a slob in your own home.

    However, noone is allowed in my bedroom (just a chronic mess) or the family room until I pick up the toys after the girls go to bed.....'cause there are always toys everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhhhhh! You don't know how much it made my day to find out that you are an eco freak like me! now that I know this I suggest you read my post about tree-hugging on my blog, right here (don't worry, it is NOT all that stuff you have heard a million times before on discovery channel and read in magazines, it's just my perspective on the whole thing):
    http://sleepinl8.blogspot.com/2011/01/life-of-tree-hugging.html.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.