Wednesday, January 5, 2011

a small favor

I'm back from Mr. T's appointment with the pediatric neurologist. To bring new-ish readers up to speed, my oldest has a seizure disorder, diagnosed when he was in 2nd grade. We've tried unsuccessfully in the past to take him off his medication and, after some miserable trial and error with various drugs, currently have him on a standard course of valproic acid. It's not a perfect situation, Mr. T experiences some side effects from his meds, but they control his seizures which is a bigger problem than the side effects.

Today the doctor suggested we try Mr. T off his meds again. He has a 60% chance of being seizure-free, but the only way to find out is to wean him off his valproic acid (a 3-week period) and do another EEG to learn for certain his status. Either he's still having seizures or he finally outgrew them.

We're convinced that his quality of life will improve if we can safely take him off the drugs. Mr. T has his disproportionate share of trials (between the dyslexia and the dysgraphia and other quirks), I would love to eliminate seizures from his laundry list of issues. I also realize that the seizures aren't life-threatening. He can live productively with them, so long as he keeps taking his medicines. But I sure would love him to have outgrown them.

So I'm asking this favor of you, reader, pray for my boy. Pray his seizures are gone, that his EEG comes back normal. This process will take about 5 weeks, so it's a lot of praying, but I believe in the power of prayer and God and faith. (James 5:13, 15--Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray.And the prayer of faith will save the sick and the Lord will raise him up.) I don't ask for a lot of prayers from people, but I have this gut feeling that if I can rally enough people to battle on their knees for this request, Mr. T will be part of that 60%. I'm going out on a limb on this because it's humbling for me to ask for help and I'm not always comfortable talking to people about my faith. But the message is clear to me this time--I have to ask.

Thank you.

38 comments:

  1. So totally praying for you, for Mr. T, for strength, for health, for normal EEGs'... the whole shebang!

    "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." -Philippians 4:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask, and it shall be given to you; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asks receives; and he that seeks finds; and to him that knocks it shall be opened.

    Prayers will be lifted up. But remember - God's answers are not always what we wish to receive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying!!! God is with you---He has this all under control! Father, I lift this family up to you right now. You have a plan for Mr. T's life, a perfect path filled to the brim with good things. Bless this journey, give the Drs wisdom beyond compare...touch Mr. T, heal him completely...grant them a good report. Keep by this momma's heart, strengthen my dear friend..keep worries and fear far from her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a prayer warrior and I will pray my heart out for your little guy. May God be with you during this period of uncertainty and bring strength and peace to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Count me in this Prayer "chain"! I really believe in asking for help and put this in the hands of a higher power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have my sympathies and support. Five weeks is a long time for a young boy like yours; here's hoping for patience for both of you. Most of all, looking forward to the EEG in the hopes that it will show the results he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've already thrown up prayers for Mr. T.

    My nephew outgrew grand mal seizures - no reason Mr. T. can't too.

    X'd that's my fingers...and toes too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...I'm with you on this one!
    <3
    <3
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope this works. I know how anxiety-provoking something like this is.

    Is there a reason why they want to do this now instead of summer? I just ask because summer was when we adjusted things for my son--less stressful time and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this works. I know how anxiety-provoking something like this is.

    Is there a reason why they want to do this now instead of summer? I just ask because summer was when we adjusted things for my son--less stressful time and all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the last time you went through this and know how tough it was. I'll be sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's...You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you...Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow and the Lord will be with you." 2 Chron 20:15-17

    You paid it forward already, Greenie. I am extremely anxious this evening and your request sent me to my Bible for this quote for you, but I am feeling calmer, too. Thank YOU.

    Praying, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Count my thoughts & prayers in for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  14. absolutely will pray for your boy - and for you to have peace about the whole thing while you're waiting on the results.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My girlfriend's son was just diagnosed with seizures, and he's just started on meds. Definitely there for you. Let us know how it goes. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm on it.

    Buddy Budderson suffered from seizure disorder as well, from the time he was two until he was about seven. He did, soundly and completely, grow out of it.

    I'll send that mojo your way. After the EEG's and tests and whatnots he went through, I know your pain.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am praying for your son, and for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm praying hard over here Green Girl!!! God is amazing and will grant you peace.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope and I pray. That's usually a good combination for whatever ails...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Friend of Holly's... and I'm praying for this important thing for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'll be happy to add my two cents in for Mr T. Hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Consider it done!
    Best of luck with the trial period...will be thinking about all of you!!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There is so much power in prayer. And there is so many blessings that come when you do ask for help and share your faith. Ask and you shall receive. I will be putting your boy in my daily prayers.

    There is a bloggy pal of mine who went through a dig ordeal with her boy and seizures last year. Though many drugs didn't work on him completely changing his diet did. It doesn't work for everyone, but she tried it and it worked. Here is her link if you are interested in their story. http://seizurefreeme.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and your son are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i would love to pray for that sweet boy. it is heartbreaking to watch a child suffer through experiences that you wish you could control or take away. it doesn't seem fair. uck. count me in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh i do hope you get a clear EEG. Fingers and toes crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sending him all my most healing thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You absolutely have my prayers.
    For as long as it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  29. "I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me." Philippians 4:13. I believe it was prayer that brought my sister back last summer. I’ll pray for healing and strength for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, GG, I just now read this. Hoping and thinking healing thoughts for your son. I can't imagine how stressful it must be for all of you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Done!!!! Will continue for the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.