Monday, January 3, 2011

winners and losers

perhaps this would look pretty filled with fresh cut flowers.
It's official: in Iowa this weekend I got one of the worst Pirate Game gifts evah! (I'm not complaining, though. That's the beauty of the Pirate Game/Dirty Santa gift exchange--you don't expect anything, it's a complete bonus gift because it's a game.) You may recall last year I ended up with a glorious Pepto Bismo pink snuggie and some fantastic fuzzy socks. This year I ended up with a pocket screwdriver set and an authentic Budweiser Holiday Beer Stein. Actually, the screwdriver set isn't too awful, but the stein? Everyone agreed that it took the cake for worst gift--compared to steaks and bottles of liquor and an Iowa Hawkeyes sweatshirt (among other prizes). I don't imagine anyone will be surprised to open that Budweiser stein for years to come...

We're done with Christmas now, returned from the Iowa cornfields, children back to school and laundry mid-cycle. I'm resolving to do less for my children in the coming year. I'm going to make more of an effort to stand back and let them be more accountable, take on more responsibility, solve more of their own problems. This won't be easy (since I'm kind of a Type A control freak with a low tolerance for messes and clutter), but I think we'll all be better off in the long run. The boys will be more responsible and able to take care of themselves, I'll become less of a nag and by not being the one responsible for every inch of their lives, not be the one at fault so often when things don't go well. Granted, I'll also get less credit for things that go well, but that's a small price to pay. Oh, I'll still make the little buggers snacks after school and do laundry, but I won't dig around for their dirty clothes if they fail to bring them to the hamper. They're perfectly capable of more than I allow them to do, and it's time for me to make a conscious effort to STEP BACK. This may be the most difficult resolution I've ever made.

In other news, Holly over at ohbutno gets a few goodies worth keeping. Holly won December's FABULOUS: a trio of homemade jam, good-for-you granola and wool hand mitts. Congratulations, Holly!

Spill it, reader. What's your toughest resolution?

16 comments:

  1. That's a good resolution -- to do less. I might adopt that as my own mantra! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To get the studio/tools/storage space under control...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In our Misfit Christmas version of the shake game (amongst friends), I received absolutely nothing! :-) It was even my party!

    fricken fracken christmas!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a classic pirate gift! One year we gave away a velvet painting of Pedro and his little donkey...people seriously fought over it!

    You might need to close your eyes at first, but you'll be training up good little men---not momma's boys who need everything done for them (somehow I highly doubt that would ever being a product of Your parenting!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My toughest resolution this year is to cut out most (but not all) of the sugar and refined flour in my diet. So far, things are going well, but I know there will be temptations down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stein... wow. That resolution will probably be a challenge, but what a gift to give your guys the knowledge that they are capable.

    And the goodies... Eeee! I cannot think of a better way to start off 2011 than stalking the mail lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is how I raised my kids and it has payed off in spades--though it is hard and does require some lowering of the standards on occasion.

    No resolutions--that way I won't disappoint myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I am going to steal your too! Those kids need to step up their game. Let's see how long that lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE your resolution!! Mine will probably have something to do with becoming more compulsive about housework...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great resolution. I kind of do that with my kids now, especially the boys, since my girls are way older. It certainly wouldn't hurt to do it more, though. I hope it goes well for you and that 2011 is a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Urgh... I haven't told anyone (I've been saying "To eat more chocolate" if they ask but my real resolution is tough. I will submit my articles, and write like I mean it. YIKES! Terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to strive to do the same as you. My boys depend on me waaay too much, and it's time for them to step up a little.

    Best of luck to you with the same endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My word for the year (ala Ali Edwards.com) is "EMBRACE". My resolutions all sort of connect to that word. Too long to go into now but it will be on my blog one of these days. I'm still working on my December Daly Album. Photo pages are complete but working on the Journaling for each day.

    Today is the 1st anniversary of my husband's death so I'm going out for lunch with a friend and then on to Target to buy a Roomba.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never look back Green Girl! I took a lot of flack over the years about making my kids do too much on their own. "They're only kids once", etc. I am simultaneously sighing with relief and wallowing in their successes now that they are self-supporting and self-sufficient at ages 24 and 26. (And most of the friends who hassled me are still doing their kid's laundry.)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.