Wednesday, February 16, 2011

mini vacation

As all good vacations should, mine began with a seamless flight to Orange County, CA. K greeted me with hugs and coffee and dinner--and as a special treat we saw The King's Speech. Seriously, starting out one's mini vacation with a couple hours watching Colin Firth on the big screen is the way to go, people.

K's son gave up his room for me and his bed was sooooo comfortable. I had every intention of sleeping in and savoring my freedom. Then my cell rang at 6:30--Mr. D couldn't find Mr. G's basketball jersey. D'oh! I smacked myself on the forehead for not having the foresight to set that out in an obvious spot. My own damn fault for wrecking my sleep-in.

We began the day with a long hike winding through the canyon near K's place, a stop for coffee, then drove to Laguna Beach. As you can see from the picture above, it's a slice of heaven on earth.

One is reminded of bloggy friends wherever she goes...

Sunday we took in the circus that is Venice Beach. Oh! The! Things! We! Saw! I really enjoyed the skateboarders. I could have watched them for hours, sliding and gliding and flowing in and out and around.

We went to Baby Blues BBQ because Mr. D and I love all things Guy Fieri and Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. One must make a pilgrimage when it's recommended on Triple D.

Best ribs I ever had. All of it had me woozy with delight. Sweet tea. Mashed sweet potatoes. Pulled pork. Cornbread. God bless soul food!

Once I got off the boardwalk, Venice Beach was nice. Flat and powdery. The air smelled fresh, the waves sounded soothing, the view stunned my senses into tranquility.


It's easy to see why people live there.

Saturday night held the biggest treat--dinner with Jenn at Juggling Life and Deb, the San Diego Mama. The food was great, the sleepy surf town we met in charmed me in the twilight (should I ever return, Cardiff by the Sea is where I want to stay). Jenn and Deb? Just as fabulous as you'd ever imagine--nice and funny, generous and kind. I'd move in next door to them in a heartbeat!

Meeting them in person was better than I dreamed. Deb has a low, kind of sexy voice and is as hysterically funny and creative in person as she seems in her blog. Jenn has this determination about her that really impressed me and has such a crazy, full life--"juggling" indeed! I felt inspired to meet two well-read, no-nonsense, smart and genuine women.

Lucky me! Thank you, K, for your tremendous hospitality! Thank you, Mr. D, for the lovely Christmas gift of a weekend away!

14 comments:

  1. what a great trip....did YOU draw anything in the sand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking barefoot on the sand and Colin Firth in one weekend has to be the ultimate mini vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that you got to meet bloggers in real life. and that you got to go to a sunny, warm place in february. always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i cannot wait to watch the king's speech ... and i love that last photo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great weekend! I'm glad you were able to escape the snow for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun trip! I've been once. Venice Beach is some of the best people watching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful trip--I loved the pictures! I think I could have probably watched the skateboarders for hours too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you had an awesome time! loved the photos. wonderful that you got to meet bloggers. that is always fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Jenn together would be sooo much fun!
    I have a rockin' crock pot pulled pork recipe if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow sounds wonderful: waves, rest and Firth! Not to mention the gfriends

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks just about perfect!

    Well deserved, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was great to meet you! And yes, Deb is quite a gal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a wonderful trip, and what wonderful news about your son!!!! So happy for you.
    Now if we could do something about our political climate around here.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ummm ... next time you take a trip to my second home I want you to know I will fit in your luggage.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.