Friday, February 4, 2011

the sporting life

I made a new recipe and Mr. D fretted over all the beans in it. Despite his reservations, he tried it, loved it, served the rest to his guests and now the delicious and nutritious leftovers are gone! Mr. D had a poker party here Wednesday night, even though they ate all my soup, we've got enough leftover snacks for Sunday's game.

Speaking of win-win situations, I admit I was nervous a couple weeks ago when the Packers played the Bears. (My non-football readers read the last sentence and thought this: blah blah blah blahblabbityblabbityblah blah blah.) Today I'm not nervous at all about Sunday's game. The Packers are going to win it, that's my confident prediction. I sent Mr. B to school wearing his brand new Clay Matthews jersey and everywhere I look people are wearing green and gold. Team spirit even infiltrates Cheesehead greetings. I've had ten conversations this week that have ended with "Go Pack!" instead of the conventional "Goodbye" or "See you later." It doesn't matter if you're passing people in a slushy parking lot, walking into church, pushing a grocery cart through a supermarket or waiting to use your office's copy machine: the air pulsates with excitement for the Super Bowl.

The other night I remarked to my neighbors that I feel most sorry for the die-hard Packer fans who have died in the past week or two. I read these obituaries (Irene enjoyed knitting, playing sheephead, gardening, seeing her grandchildren and cheering on her Green Bay Packers) and think how awful to know your favorite team is headed to the Super Bowl but you don't get to hang around long enough to watch it and learn the final score. Granted, in the scheme of eternity that's not a big deal, but it still strikes me as a tad unfair. My grandpa was on the waiting list for season tickets--I believe he was on that list for nearly 30 years before he died. He was on that waiting list in the days when the Packers stunk and even then you couldn't score season tickets.

Our weekend is packed out with sporting fun. We bowl tonight, tomorrow morning Mr. G and Mr. B play basketball, Mr. T has hunters' safety coursework, I plan to strap on my cross-country skis for a trek through the woods and there's FOOTBALL on Sunday.

Signing off until Monday ... Go Pack!

21 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a football fan, but even I will be watching the Super Bowl. Go Pack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Football's fun, but I'm not a die hard fan of one team--married a minnesOta fan so rooting for the pack is hard (but I will). You should hear all of the whining once you cross the cheddar curtain into Bearland...cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great great weekend. Enjoy the game!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am back from my business trip, just in time to watch the Super Bowl. I was concerned there for a moment as I was waiting out the Storm of the Century at a west coast airport. But I made.

    Unfortunately our projector did not. I am going to watch the game in my bedroom. By myself. Oh well.

    Go Pack!


    For your amusement, some Texans trying out WI city names: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGcQCtFlENA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time watching the game. I'll be rooting for the Packers. I remember how exciting it is when your team is playing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had your energy! Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go! Pack! Go!
    Go! Pack! Go!
    Go! Pack! Go!
    Go! Pack! Go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now, this is why I love Green Bay. All the beans in the soup. No, I'm kidding. I love Green Bay because you have to be a die-hard fan to sit at Lambeau in December and stay til the end, win or lose. It's the only NFL franchise that's all about the city that supports it. That's what sports are supposed to be about, not salaries and who has the biggest, newest stadium. It's about pride.

    Cheering for your pack. And reeling that I never considered those folks who die right before the big game. That would be a big "sonofa!" moment, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been cross-country skiing. One day...although I'm sure it'll be way more exhausting than I imagine. Everyone makes it look so easy, but I tire myself out getting from the bottom of a ski slope to the lodge...I know the skis aren't the same, but still.

    Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much of a football fan, but I just have to say this...umm...

    Go Steelers!

    I hope that didn't create any hard feelings here.

    "The Cheddar Curtain" - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a Packers fan for you this weekend (Let's just not tell my in-laws--they're Vikings fans).

    ReplyDelete
  12. blah blah blah ;)

    let me know who wins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Pack Go! I ran extra long this morning so we can consume lots of junk food tomorrow!! Everyone at the gym today is wearing green and gold!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Football makes me bored, but I love all the energy and enthusiasm of the fans who do care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Green bay is going to win too!
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cha Cha- You have it exactly right! I read a comment on someone's blog the other day about Packer fans thinking their superior. It made me so sad, cuz that's not it at ALL!!! It is just so much pride in this team and it's history. And it is OWNED by the fans! It is a BIG DEAL!!!!

    Anyway, breath.

    I am so excited I'm starting to feel really sick. I'm so nervous. It is crazy!!!!! I have spent the past two days decorating our house for this party. It is bathed in green and gold. I love it. I may leave the decorations up FOREVER! ;)

    Todd has been on the waiting list for tickets since he was a kid. When his nephew was born he put him on the waiting list too. I think we are still in the thousands waiting. Egad. And you are right! What other team goes through such a rough spot like we did in the 80's and still has such a waiting list for tickets. Sold out games every time. People LINING UP to watch a scrimmage. CRAZY!!!!

    My dad was asked to try out for the Packers when he was younger but got drafted into the Army before he could try out. :( He always wondered about that. But I have a feeling he will have a great view watching the Superbowl this year, and I'm going to be wearing his Green Bay Packer shirt too. :)

    Go Pack, Go!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.