Wednesday, March 2, 2011

eco-holiday

Three years ago this week Jen on the Edge and I started a little eco-blog called Eco Women: Protectors of the Planet. We shared a vision of a website that could teach people how to behave friendlier to the environment. We aren't super-crunchy-granola (what with liking to shave our armpits and eat the occasional Hostess Twinkie), but we aren't greenwashing the topic by encouraging people to buy more stuff or do nothing and feel good about it. We're those environmental activists in the middle, teaching people how to do right by Earth without spending money or totally uprooting their lifestyles. Since then we've added to the legions of Eco Women (and a couple Eco Men), steering people away from single-use plastic products like shopping bags and water bottles, encouraging people to dig deep and plant their own food, calling out the polluting industries and applauding the companies committed to shrinking their carbon footprints. We've covered "green sex" and "eco-friendly tourism." We've addressed what to eat, wear, buy (or, more likely, NOT buy), smear, spray, unplug and pour--all in the name of saving the environment from pollution.

To celebrate our three year blogiversary over at Eco Women, we're giving away THREE Eco Women canvas shopping bags. To enter to win, you've only got to visit the site and leave a comment.
I do hope none of my readers need this shopping bag--y'all already gave up plastic shopping bags eons ago, right? RIGHT?

16 comments:

  1. I have many of the reusable bags - they are the norm in Europe - but always need more, as they are useful for so many other things besides shopping. So I'm always having to hunt mine down...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! I have the cutest reusable shopping bags in my purse. The good folks at the grocery store do not recognize me until I pull them out. They are that cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. trying to get to ecowomen to leave comment... must be busy over there since it's not letting me on... will try in a bit.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm obsessive about my reusable bags. So I don't need to win any. But I'm so excited to check out your site. I didn't even know about it! And I love the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just came from there. I LOVE the bag.
    You all do a great job on the Eco-Women site

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my reusable bags. But I have to work on my memory so I remember to take them with me every time I shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your anniversary. Sounds like a healthy site for finding the inner eco - I like to do what I can (cloth diapers, composting, etc.) but without getting over-the-top about it (I don't eat twinkies because I don't like them but you'd better believe I shave!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, no! Of course I don't need another bag -- even if my others are disgustingly stained after the "open lunch" bus fiasco of July '10.

    Yuck.

    :-)

    Left a comment on the other site!!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are one of the reasons I bought my reusable shopping bags a while back. And I love them. I can't imagine my life without them. Seriously. They hold SO MUCH and take up so much less room in my van. They rock.
    AND we recycle so much more than we used to. We recycle just about everything that comes into our house, no matter how big or small. I always recycled, but you made me see that there are a ton of things I wasn't recycling that I could.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too love my reusable bags, but soemthing else in this post has me transfixed:

    Green Sex?

    I don't remember this Eco-Women post. I need to do some digging. I'm fascinated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And who doesn't love a give-away?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still occasionally using the plastic bags...for throw-up clean-up and stinky raw chicken disposal. But that's about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got a collection of 'green' bags in the back of my car so I can bring them in whenever I run into a store. I wish I could get my husband to use them more, but I do about 80% of the shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I already have the bag (it's awesome, people, so leave a comment and win it!), so I'll step back and let someone else get lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have seven shopping bags! I love each one and I would love this one equally! I'm off to enter...
    Congrats on three years! A great accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.