Monday, March 7, 2011

restless

Spring is stirring inside my veins even though it's still below freezing outside. Spending 4 days cooped up, in bed, doing little but watching TV and movies and reading has made me irritable and cranky. I want to speed ahead at mach 10, but I'm still only functioning at 65%.

I went on a bit of a tear upstairs and made the boys clean their rooms yesterday. We found their water bottles (wondered where they'd all disappeared to!), garbage, about 12 unexplained loose screws on Mr. G's carpet and scads of questionable laundry. (Dirty or clean? No one seemed to know...it was piled beneath beds.) Because Team Testosterone resides on the second floor, I don't often insist on full-bore cleaning sprees, but I'm feeling closed in and all their crap on the floor tipped the scales.

That, and the table set up in the living room with all the tax stuff strewn across it. And the army tank Mr. B made out of an old stove box sitting at the foot of the stairs. And the random piles of school projects, reading materials and game pieces and toys. Not terribly fung or shui and begging to be flung away. I'm craving blank space. Clean lines.

Normally I'd begin working down my spring cleaning list this time of year. It's still too cold out and there's too much snow. I need to open windows and let in fresh air and sunshine, but weather does not permit me. I need to pile the piles into one giant heap and send it out the door, but Team Testosterone lives here, too.

To top off my crabbiness, I've noticed the state of my walls. We built our house about 9 years ago and the walls look dingy. They're battle-scarred by the boys, stained with ink and what looks like boogers in a few spots. I don't relish the idea of undertaking Major Painting Projects, but it's definitely time to do it in the main part of my house.

And you know how this goes--you give a Green Girl fresh-painted walls and she'll want a new couch to go with them. And a new coffee table, new chairs, and maybe even a new rug.

Spring would be less expensive if it'd just thaw out so I could go outdoors and muck around in the mud.

18 comments:

  1. Dry those eyes, sweet thaanng!! In like a lion, remember..? Those days of shoots and sprouts and baby-green are closer and closer...!
    mmmm...paint and a gorgeous big new AREA rug..!! ! Yer bad auntie sez yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope it warms up for you soon. Being inside so much would drive me cRaZy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you find where those screws come from soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so understand that feeling. I made the whole family clean up and organize this weekend too.

    Personally I have escaped to the Dells to attend the Governor's conference on tourism. It would be so much more fun if the weather was a little nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the exact same problem--loose screws, piles of "clean" clothes, and taxes taxes taxes...I don't have the tank, but I'm pretty sure if we had a box it'd be Something ;)

    Spring is just around the corner---we can make it! Think happy flowery thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there...mud season is not far off now. Especially since we turn the clocks ahead this weekend!
    YAY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I set up my new office in Moe's old room, I cleared off a very very large booger farm off the walls. Very disgusting.
    Them I painted, and all is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, can't wait for the mud. (And I don't like dirty things, so that tells you how much I want spring.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry you've been cooped up. I'm guessing your boys are sorry too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for ya! I did our taxes yesterday - complete with efiling! woo-hoo! This is the earliest I've ever completed them.

    Of course, now that those are out of the way, the packing and purging continues. I will be moving into "freshly painted walls" home soon. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's coming! Spring will be there soon, I promise. We've got DAFFODILS here, and actual sunbeams! My braincells are stretching and crawling out from their caves. Birds are tweeting. And yes, CLEANING SPREE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring might also be a better time for painting. You can open the windows and let the fumes out. I think the weather has something to do with my lack of energy, too. I feel the desire to nap EVERY DAY.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stinking March. I was expecting at least a smidge of a warm-up here, but no. It is still just as frigid as it was in January and February. Boo.

    Hurry up Spring!!!

    Hope you feel 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am shuffling papers... I think you can drown in paper. We've got mud here in Cambridge, but there's a lot of snow piles.

    I'm seriously sick of winter too. Tried to take a walk on the lake down the road, but the snow on it melted, then refroze, so now it's got water on the ice under a crust of thin ice, yuck... No waking on Lake Riply like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know that spring cleaning urge--are the walls past the magic eraser stage?

    You wouldn't be a tear if you weren't starting to feel a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope Spring comes to your area soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's just amazing what a fresh coat of paint and a few piles of trash can do for one's disposition. I run around exclaiming "I feel like a new woman!" It's lasts for a day or two anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Dear ~ maybe we should meet for coffee. I always need a pick me up when waiting for spring as well. I'm trying not to let Shamrock Shakes be the pick me up least my thighs become the weigh me down!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.