Friday, April 29, 2011

the defense rests

Last night I reminded Mr. D that I had plans to join my neighbor gal, J, at 3 a.m. to watch the wedding.

Mr. D: You're kidding, right?

Green Girl: No--why?

Mr. D: You're not seriously going to watch get up that early to watch that, are you?

Green Girl: Of course I am! I already told you!

Mr. D: Yeah, but I thought you were kidding.

Green Girl: Honey, I was ten when Princess Diana got married. Ten years old and she was a real-life princess. I still have the letter from her lady-in-waiting from when I sent Princess Diana a drawing and a letter. I could get it out for you right now. It's on the most amazing embossed heavy paper--I got up to watch the wedding, it was amazing--she was my hero--

Mr. D: We need to get you some therapy.

Green Girl: And it's about history! You know how much I love England--I've been there twice, I've been to Westminster--all those places. Everything about it, the tea, the kings, the castles.

Mr. D: (who correctly suspects his wife of not bleeding red, white and blue patriotism and believes she'd emigrate to a European country in the blink of an eye) You didn't watch Chelsea Clinton's wedding.

Green Girl: It wasn't televised. Besides, I didn't watch her mother's wedding either.

Mr. D: (speechless)

Green Girl: How is this any different than getting up at 4:30 in the morning to sit in the woods and pray you don't see a deer because you don't want to have to kill it and deal with the carcass.

Mr. D: That's different. I do that with my son.

Green Girl: You want me to wake up the boys so they can watch it with us?

Mr. D: No, you go have fun. (under his breath) Whack-job.

Green Girl: I kind of feel bad for Kate, though. Prince William seems great, but I already married the real Prince Charming.


Reader, you know I woke up at 3, poured myself an English Breakfast tea, pulled on my Wellies and hiked across the field carrying a plate of blueberry buckle to share with J, who is a royalist and loves weddings and even placed a bet on the style of dress Kate would wear. (She won, BTW.) Thanks, J! There's no one I'd rather be crazy with than you!

And while Team Testosterone got ready for school, we watched the balcony kiss together--they were riveted with me. Maybe I should've invited them to watch the wedding with us...


23 comments:

  1. watched the clips on cnn dot com this am. cried a little and was genuinely moved by the whole affair.

    her dress was a bit of a shocker though. i mean, it wasn't what I expected. but the more I saw it, the more I loved it's abundant elegance.

    good times. . . good times. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to have something happy and positive on the news.

    I thought I would be awake to watch it but surprisingly I slept till 6 am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too funny! I haven't yet watched anything to do with the wedding. Weddings in general scare me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was enthralled watched Princess Diana and Prince Charles' wedding 30 years ago because I was preparing for my own wedding a few weeks later. I still have my letter from Diana's lady-in-waiting too. We should compare them someday! The neat thing for me is my daughter is enthralled with Kate and William's wedding because she's getting married in a few months. What a wonderful coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, I was up at 3:00 and watched the people coming into the church with those "silly" hats and all dress up...what fun!! What a great wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I slept in until 9---about as frequent of an event as a royal wedding! I'll probably look at some clips (or try and hide under a rock to avoid All the media coverage on this!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have it TiVoed--I don't think I even watched the first one. I just want the highlight reel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was up watching it too. But only because I was staying in a hotel in Portsmouth for work stuff, and the boats outside woke me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet.

    I didn't watch, but have looked at clips online. It looked lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress was not at all what I was expecting, but not bad either. She looked beautiful.

    Pete was over here shaking his head at me too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So busy packing up boxes, and more boxes, I forgot all about it! Glad you got to watch it. I'll catch the rerun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched from 5am on. It was lovely. Since I cannot seem to get out of Wisconsin this is as close to traveling as I get. I enjoyed the aerial shots.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got up at 4:30 am, but only to take my son to a Boy Scout trip departure point. Then I turned on the radio to try and fall back asleep, and NPR was positively GUSHING all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed my early morning with you too! can't wait for all the recap shows tonight!

    And I'll leave you with a song....'cause I know how much you love it...

    He is now to be among you at the calling of your hearts.
    Rest assured this troubador is acting on His part.
    The union of your spirits here has caused Him to remain,
    for whenever two or more of you are gathered in His name,
    There is love. There is love.

    heeheehee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to say I am with Mr. D. I just couldn't get into any of it and we were all irritate this morning because we couldn't watch the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no desire to watch the wedding. And I still haven't seen any pictures.

    But I do want to see the dress and I think it's great that you had someone to watch with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. After my husband and his buddies watched the NFL draft for 4 1/2 hours last night to see the Packers made one draft pick, I don't see how they can give us girls any grief for watching the wedding coverage. I actually spent three hours tonight watching the recap with my mom. We loved it! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Her entire train fit inside the abbey EASILY. I was disappointed. That's how you can tell how royal you are--how much train you can pull. I was able to drag almost three squares on my shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVED her dress. And I thought it was lovely, and when they played 'God Save The Queen' my Gran burst into tears. Glad I didn't have to get up early though, I don't think I would have, even though I did watch Charles and Diana's!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My mister finds it all a bit silly, but he did record both CBS and KERA since I cannot work the DVR myself. Of course, Little Bit and I watched it all live, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I watched the video excerpts on PBS.ORG because I'm a hopeless nerd.

    They showed pictures of Diana on her wedding day, and she looked like a frightened rabbit. She and Charles looked like they were stufffed and mounted, rather than having a good time.

    The contrast with William and Catherine's wedding day couldn't have been any sharper. They both looked happy, just a tiny bit nervous, and very much in love.

    Happy times. (But also happy that I didn't get up at 4am to watch!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really had nothing to do with the wedding, other than be annoyed that our Euro coworkers got an extra day of personal leave! The entire office got to shut down? really???!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was absolutely fun and a pleasure to watch, I agree! (And luckily my husband had already gone to work, so I didn't have to debate it with anyone ;-).

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.