Friday, April 1, 2011

I'd have let him hunt a yeti if he asked me

When you live on 60 acres you get lots of requests from people wanting to hunt on it. A former neighbor asked us if he could hunt deer, a guy on a power line crew asked if he could hunt turkey, and one day Mr. B's best friend's dad showed up on my doorstep asking to hunt shed. He gestured to some antlers sitting on our front porch and asked if they'd come out of our woods. "Yes." Mr. P then asked, "Can I go shed hunting in your woods?"

Now, I know a thing or two about hunting and fishing. I know there's separate gun and bow seasons for deer, that turkey have two seasons and that you want to shoot them in the neck if you want to kill them in a single shot. I know white bass run on the Wolf River when the lilacs begin blooming and walleye hit hardest after the ice floes clear out of Partridge Lake. I know the best bait for ice fishing, for rainy weather, how to jig and how to bait. I worked in a bar where customers would lay their fresh-caught fish across the bar and would present me with pheasants in plastic bags as tokens of affection and I bore witness to their tales of Outdoor Living. Between my old customers, father, friends, boyfriends, Mr. D and a bowling partner I've heard enough hunting and fishing tales to fill a novel. If pressed, I could skin a rabbit. Without a second thought I could show you a dozen deer stands within a mile of my house.

In short, if it's a type of hunting, I think I know all about it.

So, when Mr. P showed up asking to go shed hunting on our property, I said, "Sure!" because he's like extended family. In fact, I even generously added, "And if you see any please feel free to shoot them! Really!"

Mr. P gave me an odd look, but thanked me and drove away. To hunt shed.

If you haven't figured out what shed hunting is yet, click here. And feel free to laugh at me as hard as Mr. P did that day. He still laughs about it and I do, too.

Spill it, reader. What did you think you know before you knew better?




24 comments:

  1. It is great that you share your land with hunters. I wouldn't have known what a shed was except my grandaughter Sophie likes to look for them with her Dad. Need to get rid of those boots with snow...I am bringing warm days from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. I was thinking of garden sheds. Wonder why....

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, way more then I would like to think about. I have been enjoying your blog. found if on Crazy Mom's list. I would love some shed if you have more then you can deal with. let me know. they don't freeze well, but they dry great.
    I hung my first laundry out today, still have snow on the ground here in ND. posted a pic on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yes, I really do know what shed is, and I really do want some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about snipe hunting? DO you know that one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get asked to allow hunting a lot too. We always say no - except shed would be okay! And we allow morel hunting too - but only close friends (more for us!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - too funny. I wouldn't have known either except I might have wondered after he gestured toward the discarded antlers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...well et us just say that rollerblading is, in its way, slightly different that rollerskating. And I found this out rollerblading down the spiral of an empty parking garage in a Big City, when I wiped out and bonked my head...and that scared me into a) getting a helmet and b) carrying my ID when I skated. *haha! I could eventually ollie the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a farmers wife for 5 years (Today! Happy Farm-iversary to us!) and I still make an embarassment of myself when I try to have a discussion about the farm.

    I really am Zha Zha Gabor from Green Acres. :) Just without the Maribu Fur trimmed robe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually had to click the link because I had no clue what so ever what shed hunting was. Now I do. I feel wise now, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I go shed hunting all the time (well, I am on the lookout whenever I am in the woods) but I had no clue that is what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha!! That is too funny. But I have to be honest, I had no idea what it was either. And I know quite a bit about hunting too. Ha! Funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking garden shed, too. Suburban girls...

    Again, my most memorable oh-now-I-know revelation was that the sun can't fall even though it's a star. Duh. "Falling stars" are meteors -- space rock. How old are you? (seventeen!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even with contextual clues like the antler gesture and the mention of deer blinds (more what I was thinking of...), I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I thought for many years that little Jackie Paper gave "ceiling wax" to Puff the Magic Dragon. I could never figure out why one would want to wax a ceiling. I was well into my thirties when I suddenly realized that it was "sealing wax" which makes a whole lot more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too cute!

    As for what I thought I knew before I knew better - just about everything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm... I must admit that my most naive and humbling 'I'll keep my mouth shut now' moments was (hmm, I have so many! XD) when I... well, i would be less complicated if you read the story here: http://sleepinl8.blogspot.com/2011/02/no-saving-face-now.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snicker. You know much more about hunting than I do! Shed hunting? It's probably great fun, and you can do it without shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have hunters stop by occasion to ask about hunting but not as frequently now. I guess telling them we've turned the land into a wildlife preserve gets around. :) On the bright side I can sleep in a heck of a lot later during hunting season.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was thinking 'garden sheds?' too... but we looked it up. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are all about fishing and hunting around here too!
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had absolutely no idea. BUT...I knew you'd provide a link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I honestly thought he was going to look for garden sheds.

    :-)

    I can't think of anything in particular that I didn't know before (although clearly this is one of them!) but I do know someone who once claimed to be "self-defecating" rather than "self-deprecating". :-) That was a good night. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.