Tuesday, April 5, 2011

mud season has begun and I'm not wearing socks



Melting here, mud season is in full swing and my floors are gritty all the time. The sump pump stops running for a few minutes at a time before flushing out another 50 gallons of water. Our fields have become puddles of standing water, Mallards float in the ditches and cranes wade through the flooded prairies. I encase my feet and calves with my Wellingtons to go anywhere these days, but the boys do not so the laundry room always smells like wet, funky feet.


Change is afoot--and I'm shifting into a new position that still allows me to go barefoot. This has been in the works for months, but now I can officially announce that I'm back in the workforce again--as Mr. O's "Girl Friday" (yes, that's my formal title) at the karate school. My new duties will include teaching (barefoot) and working on marketing (barefoot), PR (barefoot), website management (barefoot), the monthly newsletter (barefoot) and writing the course curriculum for the dojo (barefoot). That's some evolution, eh?

Black belt, bare feet with time to exercise my green thumb.

I never would've predicted landing in this spot at this point in life thus attired. Spill it, reader. What do you wear to work?

Cheri brought THIS to my attention--how appropriate and how humbling. I confess, it's my luxury to go barefoot, but Toms One for One reminds me that not everyone enjoys the same lifestyle.

21 comments:

  1. Yay for a new, springy header!

    Gotta love a job that calls for bare feet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - flowers and no snow in your header!!!

    I would come to work barefooted if I could. I take off shoes at every opportunity.

    FYI - Moe is now taking karate at a local, excellent dojo. He's quite pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Change is afoot" -- love that!

    I like barefoot at work too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bare foot...all the time...and thank God, not PREGNANT ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, as I think about it, this post is PERFECT for today.

    One Day Without Shoes>

    ReplyDelete
  6. i kick off my shoes as soon as i get home. love barefoot but being the diabetic that i am, i've begun to be much more careful about "where" i go when barefoot. trips to the mailbox barefoot should probably be a no-no for me.

    love the new header.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the new job!! Wonderful news, and how many jobs require you to be barefoot? Lucky!
    I guess you don't need any resume writing help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your header brings tidings that soon enough the weather will warm up enough to trade my fuzzy socks for the feel of grass on bare feet. Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your wellies.

    I was raised barefoot, but haven't been able to do that here for my daughter --we live on a very old farmstead, and over the many years of occupation the area has been spread with broken glass. Each spring rain washes another patch out of the ground.

    As a college teacher, I get to wear jeans, t-shirts and birkenstocks to work :-) I can't imagine having to put on a pair of pantyhose --the last time I wore a pair was at my wedding, 14 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool about the job. Snow melting, crocuses blooming, new job afoot - it definitely sounds like Spring!

    I try to remember to always change out of my pajamas when I work (neighbors drop in at early times of day), but I wear slippers till I have to go rough shod.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! I'm more of a shoe person; my weak ankles and prescription orthotics put me in New Balance walking shoes most of the time.
    OMG, I sound like an old lady.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah!! Congrats Girl Friday! They are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like those green wellies have done more than their share of work around there. Are you getting new ones this year? Great header by the way.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice. I can't wait to let my little piggies get some fresh air! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, for spring header!

    No barefoot for me at work. My feet have to be in slip resistant shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to be barefoot at work, but the thought of walking around a school sans shoes and socks is a bit gross. Ick.

    If you see me sitting randomly next your spring flowers, just wave as you park the Momvan. I'm just soaking in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wore tan shorts, a raspberry v-neck t-shirt, sneakers and socks. Except when I had to go to The Girl's ballet class, and I had to wear my black leotard capris and pink ballet shoes. ;)

    Just so you feel better -- we had to turn on the A/C yesterday for about 18 hours. Then the cold front came through this morning, and we're back off the grid. Yayyyy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds perfect for you--so glad you've got the position. Might there be a Y/A novel set in a karate studio in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Im a toms lover.so comfy....great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the new job--I know you're going to be perfect for it!

    And you've got some tiny feet, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your new job! My only job is raising these three kiddos, so barefoot is the norm for me. Barefoot and jeans, or barefoot and sundresses.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.