Thursday, April 21, 2011

redundant

I feel like I'm trapped in that movie Groundhog Day. I keep reliving the same snowstorm, the same digging out of the winter gear, the same shoveling, the same melting/thawing, the same early attempt at springtime chores just to have it turn into another snowstorm. Again. Today I drove past snowpacked curbs that looked identical to the snowpacked curbs of the past three months. The air is warmish, a constant trickle of water running through gutters and storm sewers makes a dripping noise heard everywhere I go. Soon the snow will melt again, I'll wash and dry the snow boots, pants and mittens, the weather will warm up enough to perk my spirits with excitement of blooming flowers and balmy days.

But will it? Because I've been there and done that so many times that I'm weary of the same spring/winter/spring/winter weather coming over and over, like a record skipping in the same spot. The false promise of springtime just isn't doing it for me any more. I have no reason to doubt that next week I'll wake up to another winter storm followed up by another few days of 50 degree weather. My spirit doesn't even flicker hope.


17 comments:

  1. That's it. One more snowstorm and you're just going to have to come visit until July.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm beginning to think my seeds will never sprout, or they'll stay inside until July because we'll keep having snowstorms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how much sweeter will it be when it finally gets here! Winter can't last forever---eventually spring will win out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen. I feel like I'm stuck in Laura Ingalls Wilder's book The Long Winter. We think the storms are over and the train is going to make it to our town, but then it goes and storms again. Hopefully this will end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On a way smaller scale we're doing the same thing here. Gorgeous weekend. Crappy week. Lather, rinse, repeat. But I do fully realize the lack of actual snow is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, even though we live up in the mountains at 9000 feet, we've gotten so little precipitation this year. We've been begging for snow, or at least rain to keep the fire danger low. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you move those hunter boots and put up a new header? Cute. Things will get warmer love
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. That sounds about right. The spring has been the worst I can ever remember. Just really sucky. I want to just skip right over spring at this point and go right to summer.



    LOVE Groundhog's Day, by the way. One of my favs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my guest room can accommodate all of you.

    And I love that darn movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just has to be your last snowstorm. It has to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's snowing here today, too. I think the weekend is supposed to be gorgeous though, so there is hope!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so depressing. I'm so sorry your record keeps skipping on "Snowstorm"!

    I wish I could send you some sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is snowing right now. Big flakes. I have been staring the flowers out of the ground and for a brief moment today, I saw a few tips. Tomorrow morning they will once again be covered in snow. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's doing that here too, though on a much smaller scale. Really tests your ability to enjoy the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought of you when Al Roker was showing that system moving across the mid west on the Today show. I'm so sorry!! :(

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.