Tuesday, April 12, 2011

will write for pay, charity and fame

My first big task at my new job is to write a script for this summer's movie camp. Can I tell you what fun it is to write a 30 minute movie script for a bunch of kids to act out? Dialogue is literally dripping out of my fingertips and I've got the first act written already. My only problem is getting my hands to keep up with my brain while I roll this baby out.

Besides being easy to conceive and write (except for the title--I'm stumped for a good one so at this time it's called "Karate Movie"--real original, right?) I am more excited to write a script and watch it play out on film. Sure, it's great to get paid for this project, but I think it'll be even greater to watch my ideas become reality. Kind of like how JK Rowling felt when she saw them build the set for Hogwarts and then sat in the theater to see Daniel Radcliffe zip around on his broomstick while playing a fierce game of Quidditch. Heck, I think it'd be neat to see a Lego version of my imagination play out, but I'm cheap that way.

Perhaps I should explore writing scripts more seriously--my agent's had NO luck selling any of my novel manuscripts. Not to brag, but my movie script is already superior to The Last Airbender and when I see the shoddy quality of plotting and dialogue people pay to watch and produce I know I can do better.

But I'm not all about the cash. I'm also working on a website for a friend and the baseball team's roster. Pure charity work. No one's ever done a roster for the baseball players before and I know the fans suffer through the first few home games trying to figure out which player is which, who's on first, I don't know's on third and so forth. Tonight the fans will go wild with glee having a roster in hand--and hopefully go wild with glee when their team wins another game.

Fame still eludes me as a writer. I mentioned my unsold novels, gathering dust in a file cabinet somewhere in NYC. I'm hacking away at a new MS, but not feeling any drive to finish it soon. It's fun to work at something with no pressure of time, money or expectation of success. There's a certain pleasure in developing characters, adding in description and setting details, attending to real life to draw inspiration for this book. Who knows, maybe I'll work it into a screenplay when I'm finished. Or maybe it'll be just fine as a file on my computer unseen by anyone else.

Spill it, reader. What do you do for pay, charity and fame?


14 comments:

  1. Wow--exciting stuff--my kids would be all in with a Lego Karate game (maybe you could sell your script to wii or something!)

    Fame alludes me, but I'm not sure that I'm seeking it..or even want it! Pay would be nice, but charity is where I'm at---I guess I'm just wired to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is discouraging. I'm not at your level yet; we're about to start the search for an agent for our Education Amigo project. Fame, I don't need. I feel that there's a market for this book, and a lot of parents and teachers need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how fun! I bet it'll make one awesome production :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your new projects! so much fun.

    i manage projects for a communications firm for pay -- oh, and now i teach yoga, doesn't pay much, but it does pay something.

    for charity -- oh no. i'm not doing much of anything right now -- i quit my church gig.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I painted for pay, taught ghetto boys how to be good daddies for charity (seven years. that job ROCKED), and sang live for fame. Easy to be famous on a small island!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! You can definitely do it!

    Me? I'm sitting here patiently waiting for fame and fortune to find me. Work for it? Hah! (I obviously don't want it that much.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I happen to be REALLY good at coming up with titles (I used to do that for a living). I would be happy to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started writing a book once --never got it finished, because I got married, bought a house, and had a kid. :-)

    I can't imagine writing a play for kids --I don't think my imagination runs in that direction. Are you stealing any dialogue from your real-life encounters at home?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The movie sounds great!

    We do business card size laminated rosters for water polo--so handy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm addicted to Kiva. My initial eight investments in small businesses have multiplied into 32 small businesses. It's sort of like crack.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any comment I make is potentially going to sound insufferably preachy or goody-goody. So let's just play like I typed something witty instead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For pay I am a journalist and photographer, for charity I hand out hundreds of gallons of Kangen water each month to people who have health issues, for fame I was an extra in the movie Public Enemies, had a speaking part in the movie Broken, and have a novel called A World Such as Heaven Intended at a publishing house right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on pay for your writing! That is so very validating!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.