Monday, May 9, 2011

burning up

Yesterday I turned off the heat--you read that right. Mother's Day and it finally warmed up enough to turn off the heat. Sixty degrees brings less of a bite when the wind blows and this hot mama spent the bulk of her weekend outside. Garden beds were cleaned out. The pool got shocked and vacuumed. Screens were hung, windows were washed, laundry dried on the lines. Basketballs got dribbled and shot, boys played in the creek and everyone got muddy. It felt glorious to come inside at the end of the day sweaty and grubby with dirt buried beneath my nails and caked into my heels. The showers of winter merely freshen our stale bodies, but the showers of spring and summer--when the soap bubbles turn brown with the day's exertion--well, those feel like a thing deserved, earned somehow.

We dined like kings--burgers on the grill, homemade potato salad, lemonade and a beer for me. A satisfying weekend--I forgive spring for her late arrival.

Last night I lay in bed, my soul warmed by the sun's rays and all that I'd accomplished. Then I realized part of the heat was radiating from my arms--sunburned and giving me a bona fide farmer's tan. Hot mama indeed.

16 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of turning on the AC at our house. It'll be 90 tomorrow here in Hotlanta.

    Glad your day was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! LOL that at 60* you get the pool ready :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We spent the day outside too---planting flowers, pulling weeds, countless games of horse and then a little "bonfire" for supper. By the time we ate, I was too cold to drink My beer, but all in all it was a great day (and we have the sunkissed proof too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather wise, this was one of the nicest Mother's Days in recent memory. It is usually cold and rainy. Course we've had enough of those types of days in the past few months to last us until the end of time. ;)

    Glad your day was just what you wanted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my sunshine planting some new purchases and riding the lawn mower for an hour or so. So much lawn to mow . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You shocked your pool????

    We had the first cookout of the season this weekend too. Burgers, homemade fries, the best baked beans I've ever had, and brownies and ice cream for dessert. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We cook burgers on the grill most Sunday nights, but I bet we don't appreciate it near as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like we had the same dinner. I love hamburgers - hubby doesn't - but it was Mother's Day.

    Only problem, I didn't get the farmer's tan. It was liquid sunshine here in the PacNorWest :(

    Better to have a farmer's tan than a wet head ;D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great! We had a warm, sunny day, too. I got a bit of a sunburn at the baseball game. Just pink cheeks, not a farmer's tan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That reminds me; I'd better start using sunscreen when I'm in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We were outside much of the weekend too. I also got a little sun and (ugh!) 2 wood ticks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie got some nice pinky cheeks from crawling around eating grass yesterday. Both girls smelled like sunshine hair last night. It made for a very good-smelling book time last night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a "tight" post--you captured the feeling of the day so completely that I was ready to have that beer for you by the end. In fact, I'm ready to have your beer for you any day.

    I'm here for you like that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ha -- you sound just like me. Whenever there's been the slightest bit of sun, I've been out on the deck. I'm originally from CA and always forget the sun is so much stronger here because we're higher up. Today is supposed to be nice here too and tomorrow it's going to be in the 70s. I am planning on doing school with the boys outside. Enjoy your spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We spent the day house shopping. Came home covered in ticks! It was worth it, though.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.