Tuesday, May 3, 2011

my cup is filled to the middle

The painter has left and I've got hours of replacing switch plates and furniture ahead of me...naturally the color bug bit hard and I'm eyeballing a couple of wood cabinets that could do with a bit of color. If you see a rabid-looking woman grabbing pints of chocolate brown, saffron and sage green paint at the hardware store, that's me, brimful of optimism. If I can't have color outside my digs, I'll bring it in with a brush.

It's May and the only thing abloom in my yard are forsythia and daffodils--cheerfully yellow against the dead stalks from last summer and the grey skies. It's May, but still the wind rages, the clouds smother and the air chills us to the bone. Traditionally Mother's Day is the "safe date" by which to plant gardens in Wisconsin. This year the greenhouses have set out flats of pansies, nothing else. I keep whining, "I'll never get our garden planted. Not EVER this year. I'm so sick of cold weather." Even I'm sick of hearing me whine.

My beloved laptop (the old slow one, with missing keys) crashed again, and because I've not embraced Mr. D's gift wholeheartedly, I'm stuck with a functioning laptop (faster, sleeker, but with the annoying mouse issue) that has none of my bookmarks or current writing projects. If I haven't dropped by your blog lately, it's because I can't--not because I don't want to. My back's up against the wall and I will have to make the new laptop my primary one, so I'm trying to bookmark as comments get left behind on my blog. Bear with me, please.

As previously mentioned, my sister has moved to town. She just invited me over for brunch on Mother's Day. Yeah. I'm torn between being nice and going and being selfish and enjoying Mother's Day alone at my place. But Mother's Day is just a day, right? I mean, I could indulge in solitary gardening and reading any time I want--it would be generous to go to her apartment for a few hours at noon. Shall I be Frank and say it depends on the weather? This is one of those tests God gives me, I'm to be kind, which isn't the same as nice, is it?

In my final act as PTA president, my family is triple-booked the night of our last meeting. Naturally issues have come up requiring delicate diplomacy. I will look like a weenie skipping the meeting to attend Mr. T's school performance that night, but perhaps it's for the best and someone will step up and take charge. I flatter myself to think I'll leave a huge void. Really, it might be better for everyone that I'm not there, flapping my jaw and manhandling things to my satisfaction. Time for this sister to back off.

23 comments:

  1. I think your son's performance is a valid reason to skip the meeting.

    Our PTA president quit suddenly and left the country. They packed up the whole family and moved to Spain for a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely the performance is more important--PTA will live long and perhaps prosper whether you are there or not--least that’s what I have learned in my time as a small town mom, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your family comes first. Someone else can run the meeting. I bought tomato supports - my favorite spiral kind! - at Fleet Farm on Sunday. I can't put them to use yet - maybe by June. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo for being PTA president. I agree with the others that you should attend your son's performance. Even if the PTA are left with jaws gaping open. And Mother's Day - I would like it to be abolished. Gosh, I guess I'm cranky today! Sorry! I'll be better after my chocolate fix.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Backing off can be a very good thing. Why tax your brain or your emotions... just sit back and chill and let things happen around you. No need to respond to them.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a new laptop yesterday. I hate the new mouse too but I hope I get used to it.

    Wishing you some warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck visiting your sister if you decide to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was snowing up here this morning. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 2% of the parents usually do 100% of the work - sounds like you're one of that critical 2%

    ReplyDelete
  10. No spring yet?? We've had a little cold snap that came in last night and brought us down to 57 degrees. Now, with the sun, we're back in the 80's, I'm sure. We're staving off summer, you're desperate for spring...

    I'd like to do some painting myself...so many things that look like they could use a little freshening...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kid's event trumps all--didn't you miss a great football game for something kid-related? 'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your son's performance is much more important than the PTA meeting. Isn't that what the VP is for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I may say so, I was VP of the PTA (shocking,huh?!) and I would for sure choose my son's performance over the last meeting. The PTA will survive in your absence. Barely. But it will survive!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm buying my flowers next Thursday, weather be damned. I had a 1/2 of a personal day left that i would lose if I didn't take it, so to my favorite greenhouse I go. After I do lunch with my Mum to celebrate the fact that we both had babies. :) I won't see her this Sunday so we're doing Mom Day later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing happy Spring days soon! I'm itching to do some painting around here too...it's been rainy for almost 6 weeks and I'm going crazy! I just haven't had the "umpf" to get started, but when I do watch out!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so wait, does your sis read this blog??

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know how you feel about gardens and how Mother's Day is the magical "let's let it rock" date...I feel the same way. It's a shame that I'm sitting outside on a beautiful day, wishing it made any sense at all to buy some annuals. But, in good news, our neighbor is back in the States and wants us to put in her annuals, so I'll get my fix that way.

    So, um, huh, what? Oh, yea: may the weather change, your schedule free, and your sister delight in your company.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh you poor grey-clouded springless woman! We have had amazing weather... only the wedding was a cloudy day. I've been saving bath water to bucket onto the garden.

    When you get your Spring, we'll probably go back to normal Dorset Rain. But I hope not!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would definitely skip the meeting for your son's performance. A very valid reason to skip, if you ask me. They need to get used to your absense sometime anyway. ;)

    Yep. I'm whining about the weather too. Pretty sad when the nicest day we've had this year (today) was a 56 degree day. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup, I vote attending your sons performance. The PTA reminds me of our Homeowners Board, with my hubby serving as Pres and me as first lady..I take my job very serious and contrary to what my hubby thinks...I've no doubt they couldn't run the ship without my pertinent input.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  21. You son's performance all the way. I sometimes think people don't step up to the plate in those organizations unless there's a void. So you need to create the void :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had the same struggle with going to my Mom's on Mother's day. I really just wanted to hang out in my chair reading all day. I guess spending one Mother's day in 20 years with my mother really isn't that brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have four different colors of yellow on my kitchen walls at the moment - can't decide....

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.