Tuesday, May 31, 2011

no one drops by when I'm having a great hair day

Today Mr. B's entire 2nd grade class is coming home with him after school--walking across the field and spending 2 hours here for a pool party in our back yard. The weather should hold, the water seems clean and warm, the bowls are ready to be filled with chips and snacks and a few moms volunteered to help keep the monkeys in line.

Because of the big party today, I spent some time yesterday getting the pool in order, and of course I felt compelled to test it out. It was a grubby, go nowhere kind of day, so sans shower or make up, I dove in and was up to my neck when a couple strolled into my back yard. I knew people were coming by to look at our pool, but they were supposed to call first. Turns out they did call, but my staff is lousy at taking messages and passing them along. And I can't fire the staff because they're family. So, dripping wet and red-faced I showed them around and answered their questions.

They left, I grubbed around in the garden and yard a bit, then dove in again. Sure enough, along comes our neighbor and 25 year old son for a visit.

I could spend the day dressed like the Queen of Sheba, smelling sweet and looking fine and I swear not even the UPS guy drops by. Unshaven, sweaty and clad only in a swimsuit and it turns into Grand Central Station around here.

Fortunately I had my cowgirl hat from South Dakota handy. A gal always looks slicker hiding her greasy bedhead beneath a great hat. Plus that hat helps hide my red neck from the sun.


13 comments:

  1. Cowboy hats are indeed one of the coolest gadgets a girl can have. I still need to get one but I do own a pair of awesome cowboy boots. Not nearly as handy poolside though.

    Now I have to go fish the dead mosquito out of my coffee (I am sitting outside)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ONE time I went out to deal w/ a horse crisis in my underwear, the pastor and his family stopped by. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Czechs are early morning people (very admirable, but not me) and my neighbors love to drop by when I'm still in my pajamas or just out of the shower with plastered hair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, is the pool party one way to get rid of the liquor you acquired? Jello shooters, anyone?

    As a minister's daughter, we used to get embarrassed by who stopped by OUR house at inopportune moments. (Yelling coming from the house, poeple in various states of undress, etc.) There is no gossip like church gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so, true. Last summer I was out early in the morning, in my pj's and sans bra, when some people who used to live in our house pulled into the driveway to talk. I was trying so hard not to be unwelcoming, but I was feeling really under-dressed. :-)

    We haven't even gotten the winter cover off of our pool yet. I wish we'd gotten a smaller pool --this 30' thing is hard to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been able (here in SF Bay Area) to take the toys out of the plastic turtle-shaped sandbox and use it for the toddlers to splash in. Hubby and Daughter ferry five gallon buckets of warm water from kitchen out to pool and the kids go nutty to have it poured on them. It’s truly priceless fun in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I was caught in my bathing suit I'd be worried about my thighs than my hair--so I say "kudos to you"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would LOVE to see a photo of you with your cowgirl hat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So TRUE! If I try to stay in my pajamas, the doorbell rings repeatedly. Similarly, today I decided to watch a few minutes of a movie while eating breakfast. Silly me. Phone calls - 2, doorbells - 2, text messages - 3.

    I think I need a cowboy hat that goes down to my knees.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh NO! was it basketball playing neighbor????

    I think I'd rather randomly keel over than have him catch me in a less than flattering get up. however, all the cute Manny's you've had that have snuck up on my while I'm very unflatteringly bending over weeding the garden.

    Yup, rather keel over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! That is EXACTLY how it goes. It never fails.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! Sooo true. It's like running out to the grocery store unshowered and in sweats and bumping into an ex. But that never happens on the night I'm all dressed up for a party.

    I hope today's party goes well! I was glad to read that other moms are going to help. Sounds like a lot of kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hat rocks; are you bringing it to the Outer Banks??

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.