Tuesday, May 10, 2011

of daffodils and dirt piles

My name is Green Girl and I have a daffodil addiction. I add a new variety each year, about 450 daffodils bloom here in the springtime. My fantasy is to have 30 varieties, thousands of yellow flowers in the spring, and the way these bulbs naturalize, it's not too far-fetched a fantasy. I dug up a few patches last fall that hadn't bloomed and discovered they'd multiplied exponentially, so I divided and moved things around, adding 75 bulbs to new spots. This fall I'll purchase another new variety (or two) and divide some more crowded clusters. Behold! Daffodilpaloza!
The peach insides of these creamy flowers are unique,

but I especially like the dark yellow insides of these jonquils. So cheerful.

Standard all-yellow and pale yellow,

delicate rims of dark yellow in the center,

and peach-colored with double-ruffled inside petals. Definitely the most unusual and showiest.

The sustained warmth made my front bed explode overnight. I swear I could have sat on the porch and watched them grow, the hostas burst through the soil, the tulips budded from scrawny green stems.

A little forsythia brightens up the beds, too.

Formerly this bed was my original vegetable garden when we built. Then it became a strawberry patch when the berries overtook things. Then I got a bright idea to amend the soil with dirt from the creek bed, which brought in enough stinging nettle to burn the Taliban into submission. I've since moved all the strawberries out to their own spot in the potager and will plant this with vegetables once again--peas, green beans, tomatoes and peppers.

This mess is the potager--memorize it well, friends. When you see it again it will be greatly altered in appearance.

Signs of industry are everywhere this time of year.

The dirt calls to me. Can I help myself? I dig dirt.

24 comments:

  1. Love love love daffodils. I spent some time Saturday digging some up that need to be separated. A job I've only been putting off for about five years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I covet your daffodils. Unfortunately I'm not of the green thumb variety, so I have to be satisfied with looking at the fruits of someone else's labors.

    You are welcome to come and plant in the red GA clay, which is hard as a rock. Maybe you can tame it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daffodils aren't doing well this year. I blame the late snow. Well, the garden soil is moist, at least. I won't need my rain barrels for quite a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I dig dirt..." *heehee! perfect bumper-sticker! I do with tulips what you do with the daffies...
    <3 x 1000000000

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your yard in the spring brings me joy. I love seeing it in the early morning light and the daffodils are so cheerful!

    (This sounds stalker-y, but it's not intended to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just realized that we are daffodil-less...in fact we don't have any "spring" flowers. Oh well...I'll just enjoy yours!

    I'm so tempted to plant our garden...but this spring has been so crazy that I'll probably hold off a little longer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that bunch with the peach centers.
    I did the divide and replant thing with 2 daylily plants from my friend's yard. 15 years later I had enough to border 3 gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please feel free to post lots of photos of your potage -- I just can't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 450 daffodils, wow, I want to visit! The peach centers are especially pretty. I love when bulbs naturalize and spread. I have a huge row of canna lilies that are spreading; they are orange and red and were gifts from a neighbor who was dividing his cannas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, pretty! I only have the one daffodil planted, LOL.

    Loving your raised beds!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty daffodils. I need to do some planting this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my word....I gotta be planting me some daffadils this fall too!!!!! How lovely after all that snow you had...

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I have are yellow ones but I love the idea of having LOTS of different daffodil looks in the yard. They are always the first sign of spring in our yard as they push up through the snow even... Just love them and they way they make me feel in knowing that spring has arrived.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awsome. I haven't been digging in the dirt to much but I have enjoyed the farmer plowing up the fields during my long runs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love daffodils but I prefer to call my brown treasure soil - it's so much more dignified ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous! Daffodils are some of my favorites. Cannot wait for Daffodilpalooza!!

    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooops, read that wrong. Thought Daffodilpalooza was your goal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want a garden like yours! I share your daffodil addiction but am still looking for a permanent place to give into it. Soon, real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a LOT of daffodils. They are all beautiful.

    "... enough stinging nettle to burn the Taliban into submission" is an excellent phrase.

    And a new word: potager.

    All three make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sooo jealous of all your gardening. Oh how I miss having land!

    Your daffodils are gorgeous! I've never planted bulbs because I'm afraid they're a ton of work. Hearing that yours multiplied makes me think I may have to give it a try - whenever I become a landowner again.

    Enjoy the fruits of your gardening. Can't wait to see veggie pics!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The double ruffles are unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. those are gorgeous!! I kinda have a tulip addiction....:)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.