Monday, May 16, 2011

spring busyness

I harvested our first asparagus from our garden! This year I'm adding garlic to the potager and the strawberries survived their latest (and hopefully final) move and appear healthy. Asparagus, strawberries, garlic, rhubarb--are there any other perennial vegetables or fruits I can add? Nearby we've got pear and apple trees and the raspberry patch. Plenty of herbs grow by the driveway and I found volunteer cilantro in the potager, too. We've spread about 10 cubic yards of shredded bark and have another 10 to go. Daffodils have peaked, tulips are taking their spot as the showcase flower of the next few weeks and there are so many dandelions blooming bright yellow that it blinds my eyes.

This week Team Testosterone starts playing soccer and baseball--we'll cram that into our schedule on top of practice times and the remains of the school year. As usual, Mr. D will miss the first game of the coach pitch season--he's the coach but has to be at the high school game (priority). I told him he better find a couple dads to help me that first night--both Mr. B and Mr. G are on the team, and while their baseball skills continue to improve, I still make a crappy coach. I'm glad to handle crowd control in the dugout and keep the book, but the finer points of working the pitching machine and advising player still elude me.

Other projects are piled on my desk--Marni's latest Nora Tierney novel to edit, karate curriculum to write, the karate newsletter, Boy Scout business. The pool needs cleaning, the garden needs planting, no matter where I look I see something I have to work on. Springtime is craziest--no other time of year has me hopping like the month of May. I wish I could clone myself, what mother hasn't dreamed of duplicating her speed, energy, know-how so she could spend the day reading and eating chocolates? Or at least have time to finish her 'to do list.' If I can't clone myself, I'd gladly take a copy of Rosie to give me a hand around here!





14 comments:

  1. My asparagus isn't even up yet. I don't think. I need to go check - I haven't looked in a week or so. Maybe it didn't take...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This time of year I want to clone my husband. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm picking 15 to 20 spears- A DAY - since mid April. I love spring...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm exhausted just reading about your busy-ness.

    My suggestion is that you rest and take it easy. Grab Marni's manuscript, find a comfy spot to sit, and focus on that until you're done. Yes, I am thinking only of you and, no, I'm not being self-serving in my desire for Marni to get that next Nora Tierney out SOON.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a busy time for sure. the editing job sounds fun.

    i want to grow a little bit on our patio but i'm not sure i have the time to get it done before it's too late to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had 4 blueberry bushes that produced enough to freeze for muffins all winter. I think we got berries the 2nd or 3rd year after planting things that looked like bare branches with roots. Within a few years, the bushes were 6 feet tall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How's your rhubarb doing? Did my seedlings grow? I have a bumper crop already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pool...why, how about a pool boy to hep ya with that, Miss Greens? *heehee! Isn't it about time for you to be hiring a strapping young lad to help with the outdoor work...? I thought you did that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like you're going to need a calgon moment soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eep, opp, ork, ah-ah, and that means I love you.

    Do you remember that line from "The Jetsons"? ADORED that show.

    I am racked with envy over your asparagus. MMMM. One of my ab fave foods.

    Maybe time to put in some raspberry canes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, a Rosie Clone would be just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm looking forward to adding some new herbs to my garden this year.

    And I could use a Rosie too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a badazz. I totally had to look up what is a potager.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always envy your garden posts. I could eat asparagus every day for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.