Friday, May 20, 2011

thankful

So thankful for the weather--a little breeze, a bit sticky, 70's and sunny. I'd take that every day of the year if I could. And my gardens! I swear, you can stand beside them and watch things grow by the hour--tulips, phlox, coral bells and daffodils are blooming. Lilacs are coming soon. This is my absolute favorite time of the year--which is why I'm not sitting at my laptop much because I'm busy digging in the dirt and gazing at all the life bursting in my yard.

Birds and bees, the sneaky rabbit who hops across my front porch. The sharp cry of the blackbird, the soft call of doves, the friendly chirp of robins and the flash of yellow finches in the birch trees.

Dads who coach, dads who step in to help when other dads can't make it. Last night I was so relieved to have dads cover for Mr. D during the boys' coach pitch game. I've got no business out on the diamond, give me a spot in the dugout with the book and the batting order--I can handle that job!

Watching Mr. T at lunch, chattering away with his new classmates at his new school. His grades are solid, his confidence is up, his overall attitude much more positive. We made the right choice sending him to the parochial school.

Dan, our handyman, who will soon have a kennel for Jax outside, and a BIG surprise for our boys! (In addition to fixing closet doors and balancing ceiling fans.)

Almost 12 hours of daylight--bliss!

Fresh paint. (I'll have a REVEAL next week--been super busy with paint.)

Learning escrimas in karate class and finding them easy.

Lemon cake.

Spill it, reader. What's making your thankful list today?

22 comments:

  1. oh there's So much to be thankful for today!!! Sun!!! Prego ferrell cat that just walked by (oh, wait..that's not a thankful!) My kiddo turns 11 toady--biscuits and gravy for breakfast--steak, potatoes AND cheesecake for supper (thanks to his birthday requests I'm so very thankful for the stretchy pants I'll be wearing tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great week! i love those flowers, too. can't wait to get some planters on my patio (coming this weekend, or next at the latest - can't lean over this weekend anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. We found a house. A very cute house! It's not officially ours yet, but things are looking very promising.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple and yellow Irises here...and ice-plant makes happy little yellow sunburst flowers! So pretty! We have an Iris show this weekend at one of the malls in town...I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring breezes, laughing till it hurts, decadent desserts, watching my boys try water polo, Chicago dogs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some peaceful free time, while Emma's still at school and I'm not.

    The smells outside --I could just stand at the door and breath deeply for hours. I miss those scents all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That I got to turn down a job I didn't really want yesterday because with my husband working I can wait for a job I DO want. I'm very thankful my husband was down with that decision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like things are great! Today I'm thankful for Pirate's booty. Or maybe not, having eaten half the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So thankful for many things, including the cessation of the continuous rain we've had this week, pants that are now too big for me, and the weekend ahead of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of weather too! I brought a jacket to the boys' ball game last night and didn't even need it. Today the boys are in their trunks playing with super soakers. 7 more days of work for me until summer vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring is my favorite time of the year too - and one of the few times I miss living in the midwest (dead of winter and crazy heat of summer are two times I definitely do NOT miss living there). Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garden; thus begins the season where I play in the dirt!
    Family: 3 drivers and 2 vehicles, and our mothers will taxi me around or loan me a car when I really, really need it.

    Rhubarb: the theme ingredient in my kitchen this week, month, and maybe longer. I recommend you plant some at the edge of your strawberry patch. Lots of sun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am thankful for your post. I have been grumpy all week, and reading what you wrote restored a better perspective on life. And yes, lemon cake is definitely cause for gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I actually got tearful last night telling my friends how thankful I was. And that was BEFORE the glass of wine :)

    I have been so lucky in my friends, NEW friends in a new country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo. I love thankful posts. They make me happy. Spring is lovely (when it finally gets here) but summer is my deal. And I'm very thankful we are coming up on summer. Only 13 days left of school and then it is sunshine and playing and relaxing (as much as you can with 4 kids anyway) and vacations and visits and fun, with out a schedule! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo! I want to see your gardens!

    I'm thankful for my family. I'm visiting my brother, his wife and my baby nieces this weekend. It's a cute, cuddly, happy good time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm thankful that I finally finished round one of mowing before the rains came back! ;) lol! And that I get to make cookies today. Just for fun. And I'll use that as the family reward for cleaning the entire house. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm thankful that baby Bird turns ONE on Monday! Can you believe it? Our little baby is now a crawling, standing, gap-toothed grinning, big bald headed ONE YEAR OLD! She brings joy to everyone she comes across in a day. I'm blessed to have two wonderful little girlies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh grrr. We had 8 inches of snow the other day and had to hide our bedding plants in the garage. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice to feel gratitude, isn't it.

    Lemon cake. YUM! I'm thankful that it just exists, even though I haven't had it in way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yes! lilacs and apple blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. the weather lately is spoiling us....in a good way !

    today is just scrumptious in wisconsin today !!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.