Monday, June 6, 2011

cheesefest and The Eve Tree

I marched in a parade for the first time since high school this weekend. I don't enjoy herding little karate students through the street, making them smile and wave--and I feel like a dork punching and kicking in front of crowds of people. I do enjoy watching the parade pass by--the bands, the floats, the ponies, the fire trucks. But the political climate in Wisconsin has become so divisive and hateful that I could not bear the thought of watching despicable legislators prance past, waving and smiling in their arrogant belief that they're right, elected and ordained to spoil our progressive dairy state. In a preemptive move to keep my Cheesefest happy and not spoil my move by political grumbling, I opted to walk with the karate school instead of watch from my usual spot on the corner of Taylor and Main Street
.

Darn it all if those rabid politicians didn't stay home! The only two in the parade were guys I like, our Tom Nelson and that wonderfully Old School Al Ott. I missed the sausages and blistered my feet for nothing. The only consolation was finding that my friends hoarded extra packets of coffee and string cheese for me when I joined them later. That's the swag you get at the Cheesefest parade, free packets of Victor Allen's coffee and free string cheese from Simon's.


Keeping with tradition, we consumed cheeseburgers and cheese curds. The boys climbed the rock wall. We sweltered while they spun and swung themselves dizzy on the carnival rides. We saw friends and neighbors carving cheese and entering cheesecake contests, we listened to live music, drank a little beer, kicked off summer in high style. It was a good festival by all counts.




After all that excitement, a quiet Monday seems just the thing.


Because Tuesday will be exciting again when I give away a copy of The Eve Tree. Don't forget to enter the giveaway by leaving a comment!

16 comments:

  1. Looks like our local Fourth of July festival, just not as hot. Plus we don't have the fun of cheese curds (squeek squeek!) - we have BBQ instead.

    I'd love a copy of the book....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheesecake competition was a BUST. No placement. :( Oh well, you can't win every time, I guess.

    That doesn't mean I can't be a little crabby over it, however. :)

    There's nothing better than the deep fried cheesecurds made by loving 4-H hands. Deep Fried Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Cheese festival! (It even sounds better than asparagus festival, which I went to a couple weeks ago, does it not?) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been to the Monroe Cheese Festival parade before, and it was a lot of fun --lots of old tractors too. Plus a tent of wonderful artisan WI cheeses! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We didn't make it to Cheese Fest. Saturday the boys wanted to go to the pool and Sunday we took advantage of the free Wisconsin State Park day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that does sound like fun. never been to a cheese fest but i bet it would be a blast. Wichita has a Riverfest each year and it's going on now. It lasts for 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goll-blast-it! Last year when you talked about Cheesefest I swore I would come the next year. Now I missed it again. I don't know if it gets better than having a whole festival devoted to cheese. And sans politicians. Woot-woot!

    Glad you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like great fun! One day I will taste a cheese curd!!

    Hope your feet feel better today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nelson must have been busy. He was in our Memorial Day parade last Monday. I noticed that our local Democratic Party had a group marching, but the Republicans didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm. Cheese curds. My favorite. We don't get them here in California. I have family coming out from Green Bay in a couple of weeks for a wedding. Think I'll go make a request from them right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness!!! I love those two guys in the string cheese outfits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Around here my employer takes part in parades and team members volunteer to work them. Lots of fun! No cute string cheese guys, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. NICE ROCK WALL! Sounds like everyone had fun! We'll be *indoors* until November, with occasional dashes for bodies of water...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love a great local parade--yours looks very fun. I need to try cheese curds some day I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found your blog through journeymama and was super excited to see a fellow Wisconsin lady doing what we do best (being awesome, that is). I'm over in Milwaukee, and for sure I feel for you on the nasty political climate. Anyway, I love your blog, and I love that you love cheese as much as I do. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CHEESEFEST?! I want to go to a CHEESEFEST!!!

    Sounds like a lot fun. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.