Friday, June 3, 2011

the eve tree--a FABULOUS read

Readers, meet Rae, my bloggy pal who writes over at Journey Mama. She has 4 of the most gorgeous children on the planet and lives with them (and her gorgeous husband) all over the world. Her blog posts are a balm in both their beauty and in the way they take this armchair traveler (currently stuck in Wisconsin mud) to exotic locations. Rae's take on life inspires me spiritually and as a mom. Her writing is exquisite. Enviably so.


So, about a year ago when she mentioned she was writing a novel, of course I offered to look it over for her. (With selfish intentions, of course--she writes such fantastic blog posts that I could only imagine her book-length work!) She'd written a story about Molly and Catherine and their battle to save their land, their livelihood. I've always been a Barbara Kingsolver fan--great characters with an eco-sensibility appeal to me. I've always admired John Steinbeck for writing about the bond between people and place so eloquently. Rae's novel captured the essence of both.

Trouble was, here was this great novel I'd read, a novel that hung with me because the characters were so real, their conflict so plausible, the theme so relevant and nobody else had read it because it was unpublished. I could tell people about it, but I couldn't discuss it with anyone and hear their take on it.

Cut to a year later--The Eve Tree is sitting beside me as I type this post. A beautiful book, just look at the cover design. I've begun re-reading it and it's as enchanting as when I first read it, just tidied up a bit with tighter sentences and modified plotting. But you don't care about that stuff, here's what you want to know:

The Eve Tree is about Catherine who owned a ranch in Humboldt County, California and raised goats. She has given the ranch to her daughter, Molly, and Molly's husband Jack. Years ago the ranch had been logged in an attempt to make money, but now wildfires threaten the trees still standing--the trees and the ranch. That's the action stuff, it's riveting and exciting. The Eve Tree is also about how we're interconnected with the land, the complicated issues surrounding property rights and management. It's about daughters and mothers and husbands and wives. It's about love, devotion and faith.

Readers, you can get your e-reader copy or the (truly more satisfying) paperback of The Eve Tree at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Or you can get a copy from me if you're my big winner. This novel is FABULOUS and I'm giving a copy to one lucky winner out of the comment box next Tuesday. How can you enter to win? Leave a comment in the comment box, that's all.

The Eve Tree--great reading. Pick it up.

42 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to go back in time and be able to wear my hair like hers. So earthy!

    Glad you enjoyed the book!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking: can I order it yet here in Canada through Borders? Probably not. It takes a bit to get a brand new book to a Canadian book store. I'll still look into it... even if I have to wait. ;)

    I love a well-written book, and if it comes recommended by you, well then I KNOW I'll enjoy it. :D

    By the way, she looks well-travelled, like she has not only lived in different cultures, but also integrated them into herself... like she has wonderful stories and a view on the world outside of herself. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely going to read this book, whether I win it or not. Sounds right up my alley...I'm a Kingsolver fan, too. And I can't wait to check out her blog, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love Journey Mama! I've been following along as she talked about self publishing on her blog. Now I am so excited that her book is out there for the world to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely and generous post! do not put my name in your drawing--i have too many books, all the time--but i look forward to finding this one some day too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ordered my Nook copy yesterday and plan to dive in pool-side while the kids swim this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm such a homebody I can't even imagine living a life like Rae and her family. I do agree that those kids are so gorgeous.

    I added the book to my list and I'm going to request it at the library tomorrow. Don't add me to the giveaway. Keep the spot for somebody who isn't able to buy it or isn't close to a library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds wonderful. I'll put it on my Amazon list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like an interesting book. I love good books. I would enjoy reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like the type of book I'd love. I hope I win ;-)

    Also - she has seriously cool hair.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always looking for a new author and a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just discovered Journey Mama the blog and now she has published a book too! I would love to win a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That last anon comment was me on my iphone

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice review.
    I'm here from Rachel's blog, having enjoyed getting to "know" her and her writing there since the day her entry in an Owlhaven poetry contest blew me away. I'm so eager to read The Eve Tree, and it's been on my Amazon wish list since the day it was published!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want this book so very badly. I've been anxiously awaiting it for months and months. I tell ya, Rae makes me want to pack up my family and show up on her doorstep! The day she came to Oregon last year to attend our friend's wedding, I had to head to California. I kept thinking, "Man, we are traveling this same road at the same moment and completely missing one another." Sigh, such is life, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh flip. Excited much?! This book is definitely on my wish list. I've been reading 'Journey Mama' and living vicariously through her...dreaming of a little piece of life in India (hopefully heading that way for a month to be with my friend having a baby there! eeeek!). Aaaaannnnnyyyyway...I'm raving now. So thanks! And count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've already ordered my copy of The Eve Tree and am so excited about it! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here's my comment to enter! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great review to make me want to read this book. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an honour to read a book first!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Rae's blog, I know I will love her book as much or more :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this review Green Girl. Well done. We too, have a copy of the novel and don't need to be in the drawing, as Rae is a dear friend of ours and visits our ranch in Humboldt whenever she is on this side of the pond. Keep up the great promotion of 'The Eve Tree', it is well worth reading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can't wait to read this. I am steadily enchanted and refreshed by her words.

    linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh I'd love to win a copy! going to read it either way for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks like a wonderful book. I love Kingsolver and Steinbeck. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would love to read this book! Thank you for giving a copy away!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am currently obsessed with her blog! She inspires me to want more for my life than I ever could have imagined. Would love to win her book!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My family and I are about to journey off for a year with a farming and service community, so there will be a lot of thinking about home, place, family and soil. The Eve Trees sounds like a great book to sink into at the same time.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  29. Put my name in the drawing. Sounds like a great summer read!

    ReplyDelete
  30. ooohhh.... i haven't read a good book in a long time. too busy dealing with life. that book sounds like it's right up my alley so i hope my number is the lucky one.

    love her hair!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love Rae's blog. When I discovered it last summer I went back and read her entire archive. I have been waiting and waiting for her novel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Rae's blog and I'd love to win a copy of her book. What a wonderful give away!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'd love to read it :) I'll add it to my paperbackswap list just in case I don't win :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rae's blog never ceases to inspire me, and I know her book would have the same effect. Thank for the opportunity to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sounds fabulous! Pick me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. This doesn't sound like a book I would normally pick up, but so many people have said such good things about it, that I am throwing my name into the hat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Two weeks ago I finished the first book I have read in... four years? It was wonderful. Sneaking off with my book to enjoy a few minutes of quiet reading. I am ready for more.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love Rae and have been brought to tears or hysterical laughter many times by her wonderful blog.I am so happy for her accomplishment in this book and cannot WAIT to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sounds absolutely beautiful. It's on my to buy list!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.