Wednesday, June 8, 2011

failures and successes

* Our fridge died. Just up and quit for no good reason. I'd just removed a thick layer of school calendars, lunch menus, A+ assignments and adorable pictures by Mr. G. Maybe that layer of paper was insulating it somehow? Anyway, it's a lucky thing to have a beer fridge in the garage that I can use until we sort this out.

* There is family drama. My sister, who moved to town, has decided to break up with her boyfriend. Unfortunately, he's still in the apartment. And she's brought her son to town. The friction is rough on him I think. He's staying here now, a good kid, quiet and so fragile... There's much more to say on the topic, but I have more questions than facts.

* Mr. D is a good man. He's taking the family drama in stride and I am thankful for his support.

* Mr. T likes golf! He's taking lessons all week and it just might be his summer sport.

* I have successfully planted garlic! I put it near the asparagus and they seem to get along. Our strawberries are morphing from blossom to berry and the peas and beans are a few inches out of the ground.

* My friend K's husband will work with Mr. D starting this summer! It's a boon for all of us, Mr. D's company will benefit from his brilliance, K will be closer and I think her husband will enjoy his new job.

* Between my 3 sons, all the testosterone at the karate school, Speedy and now my nephew, I cannot wait for my book club meeting tomorrow night. I need a little "Me Time" with the ladies!

20 comments:

  1. Another success - the hot weather WI is experiencing and you can enjoy your crystal clear pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I am going stark raving mad with all the testosterone in my house...just about everyday I threaten to move out. Serenity now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how the testosterone thing is - in the summer you could cut it in the air with a knife at my house.

    My freezer is dying a slow death. A new one is coming on Friday. Hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you say you can use the beer fridge for backup, does that mean that you will move some food out there? Or just drink beer until you get a new one? I know what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doggone fridge. That stinks. At least you have the beer fridge to use in the meantime. The hubby and I were just talking about getting an extra (small) beer fridge in our garage too. :)

    So sorry to hear the situation with your sis is bringing such drama. I hope it all gets settled soon (especially for the boy-glad he is staying with you for a bit but I know that brings it's own drama).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to book club too. Adult female conversation will be nice after all the princess talk around here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that stinks about your fridge! Our ice maker is broken.

    What book are you doing in book club?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll add your nephew to my prayers.

    Hope you enjoy the girl time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry your fridge died.
    I remember you posting earlier about your difficult relationship with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today is total testosterone overload! 2 boys were at the gma's for 3 days, one still at camp---honestly, I could do another week w/o them just to get stuff clean around here!!!

    Stinks about your fridge...what would we do without a beer fridge, eh? (Sorry miserable attempt at ya-hey-dere humor ;))

    Family drama is never cool...just breath and raid the beer fridge as often as necessary! (You'll need to make room for food right?!?)

    Shelly :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spending time with you and your boys can only be good for your sister's son.
    Glad you're having success growing peas and beans! Mine are peeking out of the ground, too. My tomatoes look pretty good. And the rain might fill the rain barrels tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope things work out for your sis.

    And we all need to remember to take a little time for ourselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always good to have a beer fridge!

    I'm really glad that you are able to offer your nephew a loving place to hang out in. I hope everything works out for your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't mind some me-time either. Very cool that you have garlic! I purchased a few small pumpkin and squash plants (next year I'll go from seed again) and they are growing out of their temporary homes. I hope we can move soon, if only for their sakes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just had a Bunco night on Monday, and it was definitely appreciated!

    Glad the garlic and asparagas are getting along. Could this spark a children's book? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry about the fridge and the family drama. Sending good thoughts your way.

    Interesting that you planted garlic now, in June. Here in the south, it's planted in late October/early November, then harvested in June.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow - i'm not sure i could handle that much testosterone. 2 boys in the house was enough for me!

    good luck on the fridge and other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think your husband and mine would probably get along great; not every man is that understanding about family drama.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You said "beer fridge" and "asparagus"--and, as ever,you earned my love forever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. our fridge died too!! Thank goodness for the garage fridge!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.