Thursday, June 23, 2011

middle bliss

Of my three sons, Mr. B (middle) is the easiest. Mr. T can be prickly, Mr. G can be an obnoxious twerp. Not all the time, mind you, but they have their moments. Mr. B, on the other hand, is just a happy-go-lucky golden child 95% of the time.

Last night I had the distinct pleasure of time alone with him as I drove him to a baseball scrimmage an hour away. He peppered me with questions on the drive, his curiosity extending to billboards and NPR's All Things Considered ("Now what did Walker do?" he fretted at one point--my son!) . He postulated theories about flying and fiddled with the radio dial, settling on classical music for a while and then choosing classic rock (Oh! A child who doesn't care for hip-hop or rap! J'adore!).

He played in the rain, got a base hit each time he was at bat and generally enjoyed himself. On the drive home we settled into our alone time once more.

Halfway home we drove past a former KMart, now shuttered and vacant. "What's that, Mom?" he asked. "An old store--it's out of business now." "Why?" "I guess not enough people shopped there." "That's wrong!" he sputtered.

Then he said this: "They should do something useful with it then. Like tear it down and plant flowers or something."

Green Girl's heart grew two sizes that moment.

19 comments:

  1. What a fabulous boy you have. Of course, all three are fabulous and I'm certain it's due to their equally fabulous parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. What a aweetheart.

    My youngest is like that. Ain't it grand?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "What did Walker do now?" I love your kid.

    As for the KMart - I've thought for years that the lot should be a community garden. Detroit does that with vacant properties - Appleton certainly could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how sweet! great idea for the building, too. i'd like to see some buildings turned into low-rent facilities for people who've lost their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That boy is a gem and a future conservationist--we need so many more like him. On daughter’s first day of kindergarten, she told the principal (going right to the top) that the baby palm tree’s roots were drying out in the sun and if not planted would soon die. It was the beginning of a checkered school career...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...the introductory theme to all things considered is burned into my DNA..*haha! apparently your fam carries the gene...Beastie B leans toward the Mel-o-Mel side, sounds like. what a sensitive strength & kind awareness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh...that may be the cutest thing I have ever heard! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww. A kind heart, a sense of social justice, and an eye for detail. What a wonderful boy! Good job, Green Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've often thought so myself, that they should tear those things down and plant trees.

    I like Mr. B. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great idea, and one that all the Big Box stores should heed to. If they are gonna build it and leave huge eye sores behind on the landscape when they walk away... well, they should have to return it to nature. Great kid!

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so sweet.

    Alone time is precious in a big family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great kid. My boys act differently when I do something alone with them too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it. I want to have 3 just like him!!! :) You're a lucky woman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweetheart! I have one like that too... but only when we're alone. The rest of the time he is acting for whatever audience he can try to impress. Enjoy as many moments with him as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As a fellow middle child, there is something awfully special about those middle ones, isn't there? I think we're the most centered and in tune to what is going on around us. Of course, not biased at all...

    How much you must have cherished that one-on-one time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore Mr. B. I mean, I adore all three of the dudes, but you're right...there's something special and different about B.

    if and when we ever EVER dry out, send them up to Run Kitty around the yard. She'd love it and I'd love to watch their energy from my porch swing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sweetie. I love when I get alone time with my boys. It always shows me a side I had forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww. What a lovely boy. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.