Wednesday, June 22, 2011

new favorite student

Yesterday the summer school karate program started. It was a slow couple of classes as we helped the masses understand school protocol (when to salute, where to leave shoes, etc.) and the basics (a block, when to say "yes, sir"). The focus was "focus"--teaching kids to pay attention to one thing at a time, breaking down the concept to "eyes, mind, body" and then applying the concept by blocking strikes. Pretty easy stuff.

At the end of class Mr. O explained "Might for right," the martial arts promise that everyone says at the end of class. "If you use kicking and punching at school, what does that make you?" he asked the students.

"Mean."

"A bully."

And then this little peanut of a 4-year-girl raised her hand and announced, "I turn into a dragon."

Yep, that's right. She doesn't turn into a bully when she's mean. She turns into a dragon.

I totally dig this kid.

15 comments:

  1. I can just picture this little pigtailed cutie turning into a dragon child! (only because I have experience with an adorable 7yr old who morphs into the hulk quite often!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dragon-girl sounds like the right kind of girl for a karate class. And dragons only use their skills for good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, a dragon. I bet she's pretty cute too. Girl power!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like something Kitty would say....she thinks there's dragons behind the shower curtains when they are closed.

    Imagation a mile wide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cutie patootie....out of the mouths of babes, my mother in law always said :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I totally love the peonies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping to get my boys in karate in the fall. That little girl is precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure which I love more. The spontaneous nature of the girl's answer or the fact that she actually believes that she turns into a dragon. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure which I love more. The spontaneous nature of the girl's answer or the fact that she actually believes that she turns into a dragon. Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best quote ever! Add a cute little kid voice and you must have melted.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.