you aren't really a baby anymore. For the longest time we called you "baby G" or "the baby." We finally quit when your brothers never referred to you by name, but rather by these nicknames. But you are the baby, and baby? You are seven.
Out of kindergarten, strictly into boyworld now. In honor of your special day, here are seven things special about you, Mr. G:
1. You are loud. Reallyreallyreally loud. Whether asking a question or singing a song or telling a story, you have awesome lung power.
2. Early to bed and early to rise. Rarely able to stay awake past 9:00, your smiling face is one of the first things I see each day--sometimes as early as 5:30 a.m. But it's not so bad since you're kind of snuggly first thing.
3. Testosterone oozes off every pore. You're our athlete, anxious to watch football and basketball and baseball. You throw, swim, run, hit, shoot, catch and have excellent coordination in everything you do. You love dinosaurs, animals, superheroes, guns, trains, cars, balls and going fast. To get you going, I'll threaten you with pink things, Barbie dolls and pretty ponies--it's a surefire way to make you scream.
4. When you're not being loud, it's probably because you're busy chewing. I never knew any kid to eat like you. Breakfast, second breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. Consequently, you grow like a weed.
5. You have the most specific habits. You will wear the same outfit for days in a row, refuse underpants, hoard boxes in your room ("that's my favorite box!"), leave all things messy and if it's clean, make a fresh mess. You like things done your way, sometimes being a bit of a brat about it. You're particular about what you watch on TV (mainly Curious George and Wild Kratts), you don't like it when people fudge on rules when playing a game. You're incredibly tactile, needing to touch something all the time, a blanket, a hand, a stuffed animal. You sight read instead of sounding out words using phonics. You can switch hit, belch on a whim and make the most terrific gun noises.
6. Show-off, attention hoard, class clown--kid, you command and demand a LOT of attention. If no one is paying attention to you as you wish, you'll immediately commence somersaulting across the room or acting silly. You want all eyes on you and you'll compete until you're blue in the face to get everyone to look.
7. You have a tender, sweet heart. You've befriended our neighbors, two elderly people who you adore. You voluntarily head over to shovel their driveway, you follow them around the yard, you shower them with affection. You are gentle with the little neighbor girl and patient wYou feel concerned about Jax when there's a thunderstorm, you worry about a classmate who went home from school with a stomach ache. You are generous with hugs, smiles, thoughtful words and kind gestures.
It's easy to celebrate you today, Mr. G. Happy birthday.