Wednesday, July 27, 2011

rainy day plans

No need to water today, no swimming, no hanging out clothes on the line to dry. The berries are picked (for now) and gleam deep red in jam jars. The floor feels clean and smooth beneath my bare feet. I've no karate class to help teach, no soccer practice to run to, no party to plan.

I've got a couple of books, a stack of magazines and some blogs to read.

Mr. T and I will play cribbage, Mr. G and I will read together. I will challenge Mr. B to a rematch of Memory Match Game. Then the boys will head off to spend their day playing with Bey Blades and Nerf guns and battle castles.

The new PTA president and current vice-president will come over and I will hand over all the files from my 6 year term. I've got meeting minutes and agendas dating back to 2004, all the instructions written out month by month and several folders detailing events and fundraising. I'll teach them how to maintain the website and get their way with the principal while we eat raspberry pie. Then they'll leave bearing the burden I've carried.

I'll scrub down the basement bathroom, clean up the desk I recovered from Grandma's basement and drink a cup of strong coffee. Team Testosterone will choose a movie and I'll iron while we watch it.

What's not to love about a random rainy day in July?

Spill it, reader. What's your rainy day plan?

20 comments:

  1. I WISH I had a rainy day! I have not see a good solid rainy afternoon in I don't remember how long.

    But if I did, I'd want some raspberry pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you get so much done! Rain for me means no time to relax, and bad moods to deal with. But then, I have a 5 year old. Relax? What's that? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rainy days---it's like an instant time out! Sometimes it feels so needed to stop all the hustle, but who can honestly do it on their own?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes a rainy day is really the perfect day.

    After all this sunshine and heat and running around I am really looking forward to this rainy day.
    We have sticker books to "work" on. Lots of drawing to do. Movies to watch. Forts to make. And maybe I'll throw in a little homework in there too (I've been making them read and do math every other day so they don't forget EVERYTHING they learned this last school year. Luckily, they actually enjoy it.)

    I'm so excited for you to hand over your files to the new pres. What a relief, huh? Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish we were getting some rain today. I'll be working around the house, while worrying about my fiance. He'll be spending the day working on a golf course in the insane heat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. laundry, scrub floors, maybe some ironing...some rest time on the couch when the girlies nap... :)

    Kitty went with Daddy to the barn this morning to help feed the cows and play with kitties, so i get some quality time with BabyBird. i see alot of tickle monster and walking practice in my immediate future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No rain here today although we did have a wonderful downpour on Monday. I used to love ironing... now, not so much so what's a girl to do on a rainy day?? Dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People still iron? They still make clothes that require ironing?!!

    We're having some rain here too, and it means we can get some errands run instead of playing in the pool. We need a rainy day for that --the siren call of the pool on hot summer afternoons is too hard to resist, but it does suck up a lot of time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can I say except it is nothing like yours. :) I'm just kidding because you do so very much in comparison to my doing so very little. A rainy day for me is my blog world and reading, and maybe I might sweep the floor. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all your rainy day plans except the cleaning basement part ;-) Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to finally get to cutting up last year's Christmas cards for next Christmas' gift tags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh boy, I wish it would rain here. I'd probably go outside and dance in the liquid gold.

    After I got dried off, I'd head for my sofa and dive into a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I had a rainy day, I'd spend it at your house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your rainy day sounds so poetic. Crazy how you make everyday things sound almost romantic. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swimming lessons in the rain this morning was not fun. We blasted the heater in the car on the way home. I'm glad the rain stopped this evening. My boys got their game in and play for 1st/2nd in the City tournament tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  16. rain? what's that? it's been so long since we've had enough to call it a rainy day that i'm not sure i remember what rainy day plans would be.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a productive rainy day. I won't see rain until October at the earliest. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 6 years. Holy smokes that is commitment. I have participated in PTA for the last 7 years, but just as a member. If I missed a meeting no one cared.

    ReplyDelete
  19. your first paragraph reminds me of Simon and Garfunkel -"I've got no deeds to do, no promises to keep." Love that song! Thanks for putting it in my head.

    I'm jealous of your berry preserving. What a lovely treat - to taste summer in the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.