Wednesday, August 17, 2011

hitting the links, squashing the bugs

I spent an hour this morning reading a week's worth of blogs--catching up on birthdays, home improvement projects, camp kids, college kids, vacation news and garden talk. Like GOP candidates, I've been (wait for it...) to Iowa to visit Mr. D's hometown and display my inner tigress to a broader audience. I didn't discuss the economy much at all. I participated in a best shot tournament, generally a situation where I sit in the golf cart until I'm required to putt. Imagine my dismay when on the first hole both men on our team shanked the ball. I pulled out my driver and took a deep breath, prepared for public humiliation as I swung at my ball (a Calaway i(s) for those of you who care about these things). Well, I crushed that ball like a pro! In 18 holes my team only used 1 of my putts, but many of my drives and chips. I was a smashing success at Sunday's event. Seriously--I had the Longest Drive at a golf outing, people! Longest Drive! Well...technically I didn't win it because I teed off from the ladies' tee box, but the distance still totally counted.

Wouldn't it be great if I started dressing up Old School on the links?

Upon re-entry from my golfing getaway in Iowa, I identified the source of the funky smell in both my kitchen AND my garage. In both cases, the Stench of Rotting Death came from that tray beneath the fridge (what? don't you have a beer fridge in your garage?). Armed with bleach water and a spray bottle, we can breathe easy once more.

Beetles have infested my squash again this year. Even when I let a spot lie dormant for TWO YEARS, the darned things found my zucchini and pumpkins. I killed legions of beetles with my bare hands and dragged the vines beyond helping to the fire pit, but I fear all is lost. Next year I WILL have vengeance. And zucchini until first frost. Bet on it.

In 80 days I'll get my 2nd degree black belt. Seems like just yesterday I was sweating my way to my 1st degree. The flat gravel road my MIL lives on provided good training ground for my 3 mile run. No aches or pains to report, even my rolled ankle has healed satisfactorily.

Thus ends my report of the past week.

Spill it, reader. What have you squashed or smashed this week?


15 comments:

  1. Well, I've been trying hard to squash the largest boatman I've EVER seen. It's as large as a junebug, and I'm scared to get in the pool. Do you guys get those in your pool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a garden but have been hearing mixed reviews in our area about squash. One gal has had an abundant crop and another only one squash grew on her vines. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you've been very busy! congrats on the golf thingy.

    wow - the black belt is a big, big accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in the middle of bug collection for a 7th grade science project. So I'm trying not to squash the bugs but catch, them, kill them and then pin them.

    So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of activity! Congrats on the golfing success and the impending black belt #2. I think the only things I did this week were going out to dinner, and nagging my child to clean up her room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are having a busy month and I can tell you are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rode the Bridge Pedal - all 26 miles without walking!!!

    No bugs to report - that I know of ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I squashed the hopes of a student who thought she could never come to school and still get an A. Not!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The longest drive???? WOAH! YOU are a SUPERSTA!!!! Well done! Woot woot!!!

    I feel like so much has happened in this past week that I am just trying to keep up. I need a breather! Not likely. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go on your drive! It stopped raining here long enough for us to hit our favorite bike path and later climb a (short) mountain with our 3 year old. Short though it was, it felt good to be hiking with the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. You're quite the golfer!

    My zucchini is played out, but that's okay because we got so much for a while there that it got old. Plus, we cooked and froze some, and I have a few loaves of bread in the deep freeze too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a golfing tigress! PS I am visiting your lovely state right now. I envy you your beautiful summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Second degree black belt... Woman, you are FIERCE.

    I'm in a war with the deer, since they decided to hold races in among my tomato plants.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.