Saturday, August 6, 2011

tapping into my inner tigress

Mr. D and I went golfing last night with another couple. I haven't had my clubs out in over a year, but for a while I golfed every week in a women's league. I was awful. Perfectly dreadful. I putt beautifully thanks to many hours at Tom Thumb Mini Golf back when I was in high school, but my long game is wretched. (We're talking double digits on several holes, my score for nine holes rivaled other people's scores for eighteen.)

Then I went out with my MIL about a year ago and halfway through our play, I thought to hell with this crap started lining up my feet with one slightly forward, I dropped my shoulder and HEAVED the club forward at that golf ball like Happy Gilmore. You know what? My ball sailed into the air and flew straight ahead to the mark like a pro had hit it.

Apparently when I totally ignore all the stuff about lining up my knuckles, lining up my feet, bending slightly at the knees, keeping my arms straight, twisting my shoulders, keeping my head up, etc. and so forth to the tenth power? I can golf a fairly decent game.

I look like hell, feet splayed out, totally off-kilter in my stance, but it works!

Last night I golfed the same way, flushing all the tips and golf lessons out of my mind and just concentrating on hitting the ball however my body seemed naturally inclined. We were coming up on the ninth hole and for the first time in my life I felt ready to take on the back nine--just for the fun of it. I was actually golfing so well that I enjoyed myself.

Golf--fun? When I play by my own rules, it actually is. I only lost ONE ball, only landed in ONE sand trap, only shanked ONE time too far to the right. And my putting is still righteous.

I'm looking forward to next weekend when I get to play again.

15 comments:

  1. Right on, don’t we love to hear success stories that fly in the face of conventional trainer wisdom. In the eighties in Key West FL we used to get passes for three dollars for 18 holes and we could rent a cart for ten (I know, huh!) so used to just have a blast in our surf shorts and flip flops. (the good old days). We never took a lesson but sent those balls flying, sometimes in the correct direction !~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! i've never played golf. i'm terrible at putt-putt so figured i'd suck at the real game, too. i used to bowl a fair game, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! To heck with the rules! Okay, not all of them, but maybe the golf ones. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh... i've left a little blog love for you over at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never played gold except on my WII and really do not think I would be much good at it as I suck on the WII.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often, learning the 'Right' way first and doing it that way, means you can later ditch the aspects that aren't working for you and improve upon that. Golf looks like a nice excuse for getting out and strolling around in a nice green park.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I love this.
    I live in the land of golf courses and I have never golfed a day in my life. I once heard some comedian say that golf is "a wonderful way to ruin a perfectly good walk". HA!
    My hubby is a very good golfer when he gets the chance (he plays MAYBE once a year) and he doesn't follow any of the rules either. Rules smules. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You ROCK!

    I'm sure there's a lesson in all of this about life in general and how things go well and are fun when you do what you're inclined to do anyway ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have just the opposite problem - my putting sucks. My long game is good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! Funny how much more enjoyable it is to play by your own rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we have the same golf swing! We should go golfing together sometime. I've learned to ignore the people who call me Happy Gilmore behind my back. If it works for me, who cares what people say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to become a golfer. I just never seem to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Come back! You are missed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to play golf with Mr Sunshine as soon as I can hit the ball farther than 50 years when I tee off.

    He's playing 3 times a week and now breaks 100. He tees off at 6:45am and comes home just as I'm rolling out of bed. That's another reason not to play with him!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.