Monday, September 26, 2011

progress report

It's good to take stock every now and then--just when I think I've become a total slug, accomplishing nothing but keeping up with the laundry rotation and stocking the pantry, I step back and reflect. Back in January I made this list:

To date, I've scratched off most of my goals for 2011. I exceeded 100 trees planted. We've attended 3 cultural events this year and I've got 3 months remaining to bring Team Testosterone to one more play, concert or museum. I eliminated a number of piles of junk in my house--all of the living room cupboards got cleaned out, the basement is tidy and I even tackled one of the huge piles in my bedroom. All that really remains are those darn photo albums...
I made homemade bread, edged the garden and read almost 30 books so far this year. The laundry room still needs attention--forgot I'd written that down. I didn't compete in a karate tournament. That last one was tricky--there were 3 possible tournaments this year and one took place while we were in the OBX on vacation. Another was yesterday. I really wanted to spar, but with less than 2 months remaining until I earn my 2nd degree, I figured it was stupid to risk getting hurt. Now if I do enter a tournament, it'll be as a 2nd degree, making the competition even tougher. It's disappointing to realize I won't achieve this goal, but I have to concede some of the reasons were beyond my control.

Speaking of karate stuff, my 3-mile run time Saturday was 27:35, so I shaved a little time off. I may get to the 26 minute range yet. My muscles feel like a giant bruise today, but overall the training went well this weekend. No new injuries, just the same old soreness/stiffness.

In other updates, remember I mentioned a professional request for one of my manuscripts about a month ago? I learned Friday that my book was selected for publication. Stay tuned--I'll be promoting the crap out of it over the winter.

We have an abundance of apples, so things will get saucy around here soon.

And that is all.

Spill it, reader. Have you made some noteworthy progress lately?

14 comments:

  1. Hmmm, let's see. I have organized the entire upstairs. No painting as of yet, but at least I made a serious dent in emptying out those 100+ moving boxes in the garage.

    I am looking for a new job. So far, I have applied for four. Fingers crossed.

    I have started to read again. Finally. I am on my third book in one month. Not too bad. Just in time to read yours!

    I didn't make a list at the beginning of this year, so I cannot cross anything off. But it feels good to make progress anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to cheer about your run, but now I'm even more excited about your book. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be walking (kicking?) on Cloud 9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the book! That's very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I can't believe you put that in there at the bottom almost as an aside. Getting your book published is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome job!!!!! I'm naturally not a planner, I rebel against my rules....but I've learned that my plans for the day help me realize my dreams for the future...so planning away ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super news about your book! That's very cool to hear. Do you know already if it will come out in a Kindle format? And if it does, is that a good or bad thing from a writer's point of view?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe. Congratulations on the book being published. That's big!

    I would like to say that I at least planted one tree this year. The truth is, we (DH and I) picked out the tree and hired someone to plant it for us. I simply cannot imagine planting 100 trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah!!! The book news is awesome. It's even better than planting 100 trees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is big news about your book! Congratulations!
    I didn't know you were a runner. I am too, in the 9-ish minutes a mile crowd. I'd love to get down to an 8 minute mile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. your book! how wonderful! tell us more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your list and I think it is something I will do next year make a list and try and cross everything off it during the year.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoo-hoo! on the book news.

    Last week I organized 5 years worth of stuff from the "needs to be filed" box. I also went through my recipe files and tossed a bunch and added a few to to the recipe book that I'm organizing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I should send you my to-do list. I think more would get done that way.

    In awe of your running time. My personal [pitiful] best is 21:21 for a single mile. Still, mine doubles as a comedy routine, so I'm okay with the time since it's a two-fer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your book. And congratulations on meeting all of those goals. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.