Tuesday, September 27, 2011

that little book thing

A long, long time ago, when Green Girl had only two sons, she began to write a book. Her intention was to write something marketable so she could attract an agent and a publisher. The germ of the idea came out of all the home parties people invited her to attend. Candles, cosmetics, jewelry, hair extensions, knick-knacks, kitchen goods--the entire spectrum of shopping presented in living rooms across America. Fodder for funny in her view of things, so she cooked up a little tale about a gal who works at Wisconsin Public Radio and decides to start selling kitchen tools on the side. Green Girl modeled her fictitious company after Pampered Chef and named it "Coddled Cuisine." She threw in a love interest and decided it wasn't half bad.

In the summer of 2004 Green Girl trekked that manuscript to the University of Iowa's Summer Writing Festival. While there, she made new friends and a year later co-founded/joined the Screw Iowa Writers Workshop. Marni, Mariana, Lauren and Nina
helped Green Girl polish her manuscript and she then mailed it off to approximately 86 literary agents. The process was slow and sluggish and demoralizing. On her 86th try, Green Girl signed with Mitchell S. Waters who advised her on revisions and then shopped around her book.

The short version of this part of the story: nobody wanted to publish her book. Back it went onto the back burner and Green Girl worked on other projects.

A year ago she submitted it to Cornerstone Press on a whim, believing it had appeal to a smaller audience via a regional press. They told her, "Thanks, but no thanks." Then, over the summer, the press contacted her and asked to see the book again. You know the rest of the story so far--they'll publish Whipped, Not Beaten within the year, giving Green Girl the satisfaction of achieving a publishing goal (just in the nick of time--she's two score exactly this year).

Julia asked an interesting question:
Super news about your book! That's very cool to hear. Do you know already if it will come out in a Kindle format? And if it does, is that a good or bad thing from a writer's point of view?

Green Girl doesn't believe Cornerstone does Kindle...yet. She thinks her book might be made available in that format down the line. As a writer, Green Girl is a realist. Most of her book club reads their fiction on Nooks or Kindles. E-readers will continue to grow in popularity. It's a medium for getting books to readers and while she's got a strong preference for paper copies of books, she understands that readers use both methods. She feels the best bet for any author is to offer their work in both hard copy and electronic.

Green Girl thought she was the coolest thing since sliced bread now that she nailed a publishing contract. She had begun to cop a bit of a diva attitude--Excuse me, I'm going to be a published author so I don't think I should have to clean bathrooms or grocery shop anymore. Then she sliced her thigh last night while working on her sword form in karate. That's right, she stabbed herself. Tore a hole in her pants and gashed the top of her left thigh. (Yes, she's totally pissed at Mr. O who convinced her to start using her son's rusty metal sword instead of the lightweight, harmless foam sword she'd purchased for herself. She's fretting, trying to recall when she had her last tetanus shot.) A little public humiliation brought her back to earth, thanks to her clumsiness you won't find her wearing black turtlenecks and chain smoking clove cigarettes while waxing pretentiously about themes and character development and depth through metaphor. Nope, she's still the same geeky gal she always was, sporting a t-shirt, jeans and now a small flesh wound.


22 comments:

  1. The book news is great. I lean towards the Kindle for books I purchase. I have limited space on the bookshelf.

    It's just a flesh wound...now I'm picturing the black knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge congratulations! That's so exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I am one of the last hold outs. I don't own any type of e reader. I like an actual book in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is great news. So excited for you...I can say I actually 'know' an author. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bad At Being Mom really enjoys Green Girl's writing (it often makes her laugh out loud) and is looking forward to reading Green Girl's book.

    And now you're not only running marathons each weekend, but flashing REAL swords around?! You're scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on the book, I read both versions - paper and kindle. for ease of carrying I prefer the kindle, I can carry a large diverse library with me, so depending on my mood at the time, I can find a book I would like to read. I do enjoy the sensory feast with paper books however, especially old books. they give "wisdom" a tactile feel and smell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always preferred the real hard copy book but if I had some extra money I'd switch to Kindle now. How exciting this must be for you. I'm glad you'll getting publishing.

    However, I hope you got, or get, a tetanus shot. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!! I can't wait to read it...in book form! Smalltownme...I thought exactly the same thing! (you can never go wrong with Monty Python!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like books only. No Kindle or e-reader for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's AWESOME - I can't wait to read it!

    I think if you rub a little Robitussin on your cut, it'll be all better in a flash. <--- Chris Rock joke. "Put some 'tussin on it!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is SO COOL!!! Not the whole slicing your leg open thing, the WRITING A BOOK, AND GETTING IT PUBLISHED, AND NEVER GIVING UP thing. Just THE coolest!!!! I am so completely thrilled for you! I can't wait to read it! :)

    Funny about getting knocked down to size a bit. I had a similar experience when I went to my first symphony choir practice last night. Egad. I'd forgotten how difficult The Messiah can be. My throat hurts today. That's what I get for not singing for 12 years.

    CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great news on the book! total congratulations!!! ick on the stab wound. that sounds painful, but then whenever blood is concerned i'm a total pansy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO excited about your book. I can't wait to read it, buy copies for my friends and families, and give away some copies on my blog. Paper copies, not electronic versions!

    You're such a bad ass for fighting with a sword. (I just told me family about this at dinner and they all agree with me -- you rock.) I hope you didn't need to get stitches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very, very cool. I am really looking forward to reading it. And I will most likely buy it in paper. I must admit I do like reading on a kindle, but I would miss the smell of a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What great news about the book.

    I never thought I'd be an e-reader convert, but I am--I love my ColorNook beyond all reason. The only thing I don't like is the inability to loan books.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so excited for you!

    Also, my son starts students on sword form with a wooden practice sword that is the same size and approx the same weight as the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wounding yourself with a sword, I see a second book theme for you here.
    Congrats on your book being pubbed, my second book is scheduled for publication in April. It is SO exciting to hold the printed copy in your hands.
    If you reserved ebook rights in the contract you can probably create the ebook version yourself. My friend spent one day doing that on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hurray for you on the book!!! Still like holding the actual thing, but imagine I will cave at some point. Getting to the point where adjustable-sized text sounds attractive ;(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! Despite having downloaded a couple of e-book apps, but I've yet to actually use them. I like the idea of having my whole library available whenever/wherever I wish without needing a library card or loads of bookshelves though...

    Maybe a tetanus shot on a just-in-case basis is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. well congratulations, Green Stuff!!
    Your Editor Friend in the 505 (*ahem) recommends both hard copy and electronic versions to be available...
    * ; )

    & take care of that leg! dang! but if it scars...? you can always tattoo over it *heehee!!
    ::BIG literary HUGGS!!!::

    ReplyDelete
  21. Green Girl deserves mad props. Published... and within her self imposed time frame no less.... very impressive. You go, Green Girl. Next stop.... movie rights. Who in your mind does the character resemble? Please do not say Katie Holmes or Ashley Tisdale.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.