Tuesday, October 18, 2011

add 2nd degree black belt to Green Girl's official title

I passed my difficult test. Friday involved a lot of getting tossed to the mat unceremoniously while reviewing self-defense. (LI has a penchant for throws.) Then I bowled a 409, not bad for starting the season. I had two crappy games and ended with a 179 which salvaged my average for the night--including a Turkey!

Saturday was blustery, and after sitting outside watching Mr. B and Mr. G play flag football (2 touchdowns for Mr. G--the first two times he had his hands on the ball!), I geared up to run my final 3 miles. You could blame the chill in the air or the wind for dragging down run times, but I feel okay about my 26:47. Not bad for a gal who was never built for speed. I'd have liked to run more in the 26:30 range, but you can't have everything.

The test was long and reasonably difficult. My basic combos were good, but the spinning/jumping ones were crap. I pounded the mitt work, felt good about my open hand forms and LI and I rocked the escrima form. In fact, we walked off the floor after finishing, causing Mr. O to laugh at our confidence that we passed it on the first try. Our bo staff form looked pretty decent, too. He limited our weapons self-defense to just the gun, which was a bummer since we had our moves all planned out for each one--and I feel best about my self-defense with a stick. I wasn't sad, though. Getting tossed on the ground again wasn't real high on my list. In general self-defense the black belt instructors could attack us any way. People always seem to prefer to do a bear hug grab on me from behind--and lift me off the ground. It may have something to do with my size (or lack of--I'm only 5'3"). Anyway, Mr. O grabbed me first and when he lifted me up, I heard everything along my spinal column crackle and pop. Later, Mr. P Sr. grabbed me with such force he nearly knocked the wind out of me. That portion of the test contributed to my overall soreness through today. The good news is I finally got my wind back and used my inhaler for the last time on Monday--I was starting to feel like Mikey in The Goonies, puffing away on it every couple hours.

We ended with the usual fitness test stuff, including a pyramid drill involving 1:15 of jumping jacks, then dips, then push ups, then mountain climbers, then sit ups, repeated again for 45 seconds each. It looks like nothing much when you type it out like this, but my shoulders were burning. At the end of the test it's tradition for parents to come out on the floor and cheer their candidates on during the pyramid drill. My friend Nicole's husband stood in for me, shouting out encouragement so I wasn't all alone in a sea of people. It was sweet--and another mom occasionally called over to me, "You can do it, Ms. W!" Mr. O presented me with my final star (you get stars to sew on your pants--the karate equivalent of merit badges in Scouts) while the parents handed stars to the kids.

I drove home tested and passed, tired and wired. Naturally, after all that excitement and exertion I slept like crap and Sunday was another Very Long Day out in the wind in the south end zone at Lambeau. What I wanted was to drink a lot of ale, take a hot shower and laze about in bed watching nothingmuch on TV. What really happened: I drank 2 pints of ale, spent quality time with Team Testosterone after returning home, stayed dressed and headed out at 8:00 Sunday night to teach some people how to manage/use a website.

So, except for the Brewers, we're all winners after the weekend in Wisconsin.

I'm going to try and score a video of that escrima form so you can check out my legendary awesomeness. Until then, stay tuned all week for Anarchy Club, A Tale of Yeti Sightings in the Back 40 and A Funny Conversation About Circumcision.

23 comments:

  1. I'm blinded by your pure awesomeness!!! You Go Girl! (can't wait to hear about the circ convo...hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! This is a great achievement! I don't need no video to tell that you embody legendary awesomeness. Woohoo! And then you go and use the words "funny" and "circumcision" in the same sentence! Double awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You. ROCK. Congratulations!!! I am so proud of you.

    Now, please go to the doctor and have that ankle checked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Most excellent!! Bet you're glad it's over with too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! A black belt is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!! Seriously. Can you see me bowing right now? I'm not worthy!! Wow.
    The test sounds absolutely draining and completely extreme. I guess your instructors don't really care if you are 5'3" or 6'3", they really don't give you an inch do they? Crazy. And way to go on the 3 mile time! That is a GREAT time, especially in this wacko windy weather. I hope you find the video. I would LOVE to watch!

    A funny conversation about circumsision? Can't wait for that one! My hubby always told our boys' doc, "Measure twice, cut once!" Huh, huh, huh. ;)

    Congratulations, you butt kicker!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! And actually, even the write-ups sound pretty awesome to me.

    However . . . I'd love to see some video of your moves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just reading about your athletic awesomeness makes me feel like th most uncoordinated wimp on the planet. WOW. You're amazing!

    Looking forward to the Anarchy Club! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa Nelly. Don't ever let me in a dark alley with you girl. I'm such a piss-ant in comparison. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I ever need to walk through a bad neighborhood at night and my son isn't available, I want you with me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CONGRATULATIONS!!! That is a seriously awesome accomplishment. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!! awesomeness personified!
    us stature challenged people get really excited when one of our own wins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so impressed! You deserve a day of doing nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So incredibly awesome. I think your 3 miles in 26:47 rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Quite an eventful weekend! I hope you have a chance to rest now. You've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That
    is pretty damn impressive.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Best of luck for everything .And of curse congratulation .I am new to your blog.

    Follow each other .

    ReplyDelete
  18. WAHOO! I'm so very impressed. Next time I get afraid when home alone I'm calling you to see if anything's in the basement. :) You could beat up anything lurking down there.

    And, yes....get that ankle looked at pronto.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowza!!!! How thrilled you must be!! Super job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dang! You rock! I could never do all that intense physical stuff. Glad I chose kickboxing over karate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh... video, please! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.