Friday, October 14, 2011

asian influence

Last night the Bumble Book Club met at a Chinese restaurant to discuss Sarah Rose's book For All The Tea in China. First, the book. If you are a history buff, tea buff, gardening/botany buff, China buff, India buff, Anglophile or even crave a fascinating read about the greatest act of corporate espionage in history, you want to get this book.

After our meal and discussion, I cracked open my fortune cookie (which is funny, since For All The Tea in China is about Robert Fortune, who we stumbled upon in Bill Bryson's book At Home which led to choosing Sarah Rose's book for October's read). I chuckled as I read my fortune:

You are going to pass a difficult test.

It is Friday. Tonight is my final training session before my 2nd degree black belt test. After training I will fly through the shower and go to bowling league. After bowling I'll un-tape my ankle and sleep. At 8:30 Saturday morning I'll watch Mr. G at flag football, followed by Mr. B at 10:00. At 1:30 my difficult test begins. My final 3 miles of running. My final strikes, hits, kicks, jumps and spins. (You better believe I'm putting dinner in a crock pot--no way am I cooking after I get home.) I foresee no problems passing.

On Sunday Mr. D and I will go to the Packer game with friends, M and V. M is a relative of Mr. D's, he stood up in our wedding and he and Mr. D were (are?) Ghost Players together. M was in the movie Field of Dreams, the catcher with the handlebar mustache. Baseball guys at a football game, which Green Bay will win because this state is on a roll. They've never been to Lambeau and I always get a kick out of bringing people there for their first time. (I'll wear my Greg Jennings jersey and sit in the south end zone, just in case you're looking for me.)

Naturally my baseball husband will watch the Brewers play Sunday night, hoping Our Fair State will continue to dominate. I'll curl up beside him with an ice pack on my ankle and a cup of hot tea in my hand. Tea. From seeds stolen out of China, transplanted on mountainsides in India, shipped to America and steeped in a mug also imported from China.

22 comments:

  1. Go Baby Go--You'll Rock it on Saturday!!! I'll be looking for you on Sunday (as we sit curled up in our nice warm house!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, GG, Go! Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't like sports at all, but that is a beautiful last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KICK SERIOUS BUTT on your test.I think you'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD LUCK!!!

    I'll be thinking of you and sending vibes for the speed of Secretariat, the moves of Bruce Lee, and the kick-assedness of Chuck Norris.

    And on Monday, I expect Wisconsin's newest second degree black belt to call her doctor about her damn ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you wrapped all of that back into tea.

    Just looking at your weekend schedule makes me tired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving Jen on the Edge's comment....I may have to start calling you Chuck Norris. :)

    Good Luck Saturday! Run like you stole something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck tomorrow, GG! Pretend you're running after Jax.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck tomorrow! We're were just at Lambeau Field today and I picked up an Aaron Rodgers throw-back jersey. Hopefully we can get together after the weekend and I can hear all about your adventures! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's a lot of activity. Good luck on the black belt test!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Curling up on a coach sounds like fun - not so much the ice pack

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll watch for you in the end zone!! It sounds like an eventful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a big Packer fan, way out here in California. My cousin sees all the games at Lambeau Field, and for the past 2 years is in a wheelchair, and still goes to the games. Now that is dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, silly me, I forgot to say that the book sounds intriguing and I will look for it, and best wishes on your black belt test. I know you will do well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always looking for book recommendations to add to my teetering pile of to-read-next books. I read every time I get a chance but my pile still seems to grow every time I turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this post! Full of energy and confidence and efficiency! I'm going to look for that book!

    You're past needing luck now...I hope your test went great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank God it's Monday...I'm exhausted as it was, and then I read this and collapse. Mercy Child, you do have energy for half a dozen active Mom's.
    I'm sure you passed your tests too...not a doubt in my mind that you hailed over all the rest.
    Yes, we have moose, we have elk, we have bear and the cougar, and those are just the Big fellas lurking in our midst. It's getting pretty interesting around here.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure you did just fine. My, what a busy life you have. (I can relate.) :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.