Monday, October 31, 2011

of a handyman and ceiling fans

First, I told you all a big lie Friday. I have no photographs of my Halloween costume to show you. As lame as it sounds to say I forgot the camera, it's the truth. (Yes, I know there's a camera on my phone, but I have a crappy flip phone and don't know what to do with the photo after I take it.) People took pictures of me and Mr. D but none have sent those images along to me. It's okay, though. Our costume stunk. I'm not terribly creative and Mr. D doesn't like to dress up so we went as ceiling fans. I painted t-shirts that said clever things like "Go Ceiling" and "Gimme A C" and added beads, face paint and pom-poms in coordinating colors (green and gold--of course! Conveniently the same colors as our local school district AND the Packers).

Coincidentally, my bowling stunk as bad as my costume. But that's behind us now, so I shan't dwell on it.

I handed Mr. D's big fake fur coat over to Mr. T and told him to go scare the children back in the woods. He gave Mr. B and Mr. G's buddies a little thrill, but I think they were too primed (see: Oooh--I bet we see the yeti today! Wait--is that the yeti over there?) to be truly terrified by Mr. T's growls. Drat.

But all is not lost. Mr. B wanted to go as a werewolf and when he puts on that huge coat with his mask, he looks totally beastly. Plus he'll be plenty warm wearing that thing while he canvases the old neighborhood tonight.

It's a dank day, Team Testosterone woke up irritated that school didn't get canceled for a major holiday like Halloween. I'm trapped at home with our handyman all morning (who I love-- he's a stout Dutchman who laughs after every other sentence and smells like Swisher Sweets--and he plays catch with Team Testosterone when he sees them at the park). On today's agenda:

1) Fix the broken window which resulted when Mr. D drove over Jax's bone with the lawnmower.
2) Fix the doorbell.
3) Fix broken closet doors upstairs.
4) Put a flap over the entrance to Jax's doghouse.
5) Prepare a plan to install a wood-burning stove on the back screen porch (we have two dust-covered wood-burning stoves in a corner of our garage right now, a strange but potentially useful inheritance from my grandma).
6) Balance the ceiling fan in the boys' bedroom (broken because they launch stuff through the air).

Happy Halloween! Spill it, reader. What candy do you reach for first out of the pile?

19 comments:

  1. I'll be working hard to stay out of arm's reach of the candy. If I am going to splurge on something, it's not going to be cheap chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. snickers and twix....and I've been indulging in both for the past two weeks. Gah...I like halloween, but I also lack any type of self control when it comes to mini candy bars,so I also hate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband was just researching adding a wood stove to our garage. Instead he went out and bought this electric furnace (It almost looks like a blowtorch laying on it's side) and it worked so well that Todd was working out there in his t-shirt. Bonus! ;)

    My kids were irritated that school wasn't cancelled too. So am I, actually. ;)

    Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kats, and Snickers baby! Nom, nom!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate, of course. Preferably the Special Dark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skittles. And chocolate in large quantities. Lola will be so mad at me when she comes home from school! (We tricked and treated last Saturday.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. chocolate. always chocolate. if the bowl does not contain chocolate (who in their right mind would NOT put chocolate in the bowl?), then it's skittles or the red licorice stuff.

    i'll probably help isaiah pass out candy tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaahaa! Ceiling Fans!!! I love it! Of course, my dad had a shirt made for me that was a fly in a glass of soda...a gnat 'n fizz...get it...anatomy and physiology?!? yeah, I was a bio nerd ;)

    I am dreading all of the candy being in the house! ugh!!! stay strong..stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ceiling fans is one of the best costume ideas I've ever heard of! I love the word play --very clever.

    You have a handyman? I'd like one of those, please.

    I have to teach tonight, but Emma will bring home lots of things like Snickers that she can't eat because of her nut allergy --Rob and I fight over those, and give her trade stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reece's peanut butter cups. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your costume sounds great. I never met a pun I didn't like.

    As for the Candy Question, I have Junior Mints to hand out but I am secretly hoping the kids all go "Ewww!" so that I get to keep them for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

    There's protein - so they are healthy . . . right...well, a little?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You say you're not creative but then you say you dressed up as a ceiling fan. LOL! That's pretty creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely anything chocolate. But not Whoppers. So ALMOST anything chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just heard about the ceiling fan costume today--I thought it was very cute.

    We are so not dresser-uppers, my husband and I. I have had one of each type of fun-size bar that came in the bag (about 8, I think) and I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tootsie Roll pops. We hoard them when we go back to the States each year.

    What's your favorite candy?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almond Joy. It always lives up to the name.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your ceiling fan idea! Like you, I'm not much of a dresser-upper.

    Last night I dug for Gobstoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I confess; I had a Reese's peanut butter cup with breakfast this morning. I was on the road, so I filled my travel mug with instant cappuccino, grabbed carrot and celery sticks (much more travel-friendly than toast), and one friendly little Reese's left over from Halloween.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.