Tuesday, November 1, 2011

another big holiday

I've given my staff the day off in honor of Mr. D's birthday. Kind of a bummer that it's a week day, but we'll have a proper birthday supper with CAKE! this weekend. He did open his presents this morning and felt sufficiently honored with new neckties, a few new dress shirts and a couple DVDs. I don't discuss Mr. D much in this space, but since it is his special day, I'll share a few of my favorite things about him:

1. His dancing. If you've seen him dance, you know he is enthusiastic, inventive, energetic and entertaining as hell. Most men his age would throw their back out doing the moves he does, but Mr. D's a natural athlete and can really shake down the house.
2. His coaching. He's the assistant coach because he likes being "the fun one" and not "the hard ass." His players LOVE him. The parents respect and adore him. The thing is, Mr. D gives really good advice, he's got a keen eye and can pick apart motion and teach a person how to do (or not to do) something better. It's pretty phenomenal to watch him enjoy something he's passionate about and quite skilled at.
3. His loyalty. While he does lay on the false flattery a little thick at times, Mr. D is one of the most fundamentally loyal people I know. If he's in your camp, you can count on him 100%. He'll level with you, too, which is a tough thing most people aren't willing to do.
4. His sense of humor. (True story: I could never live this long with someone who couldn't make me laugh almost every day.)
5. His energy. Occasionally you'll find someone appalled by how Mr. D can dominate a room, but the man is the life of any party and can really get a crowd going. He expects a lot of people, but he gives a lot. This makes him good at his job and in social situations.
6. His generosity. It truly inspires me.
7. Our conversations--we really can talk about almost everything under the sun. A couple times a week he'll come back from work in the morning and we'll enjoy coffee and a chit-chat. Even though we disagree on some of the big issues (politics, faith), there's enough intelligence and creativity between us to enjoy the similarities and differences.
8. His fearlessness. He was the one person in his family to fly farthest from the coop. He'll try anything once (with a few culinary exceptions). When his buddies were settling down and marrying their high school sweethearts, Mr. D left the safety of a small Iowa town for Chicago, with nothing but his car and what he could fit inside of it to Make His Way in the Windy City. His considerable success is the result of the personal and professional risks he is willing to take. He doesn't really fear much and when he considers the possibility of failure, he shrugs and figures it's nothing he can't overcome.

Happy Birthday, Big Daddy. Here's to YOU, since you're kind of a big deal to me.

18 comments:

  1. Yes..Mr. D is a great guy---!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell him Happy Birthday from me. Hope he has a wonderful day! With a wife like you and three wonderful sons, who couldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. he sounds like a catch! Happy birthday to your man!

    : Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely tribute. I have to tell you, there was one bit I'd love to read more about, if you're ever looking to write more about your relationship. It's this: "Even though we disagree on some of the big issues (politics, faith)..." I've long held that I couldn't be in a marriage with someone who differed from me a great deal in those areas--as they signal a values divergence that I wouldn't know how to get past. I'd love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to Mr D
    Congrats on completing another year, and may you continue to do so for many more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to see through your words how much you care about him! Happy bday to Mr. D!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love this post. What comes across the most is your complete respect for him. And I think that is absolutely #1 in any marriage.
    Sounds like you've got a keeper. :)

    Happy Birthday, Mr. D!

    p.s. It's funny how little most bloggers write about their spouse, isn't it? I'm the same way. Hmmm... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww! Mr. D sounds AWESOME! I want a Mr. D! ;)

    Totally off-subject: I worked the guest list for a Halloween Party last night and Agent Stahl from SOA came to the door! She was much nicer than her character. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I truly believe that the ability to make each other laugh is THE key to a successful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Mr D had a great birthday I love birthdays mine is in 14days....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday Mr. D!!! And you know, behind every great man is a fabulous woman :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the conversation part...My hubs doesn't like to talk all that much :( I wish he did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday (yesterday)to D!

    Gotta love a man with a sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, that was lovely! He sounds like an awesome guy. Good choice! ;)

    Happy Birthday, Mr. D!

    ReplyDelete
  15. awwww! Happy birthday Mr. d!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.