Wednesday, December 21, 2011

4th Annual Holiday Homes Tour

Welcome to the 2011 Holiday Homes Tour (coordinated by Jen on the Edge). It's that time of year and things are jolly at Chez Green Girl, though not snowy yet. We decked the halls, hung some stockings and trimmed a nice tree. We like a mix of old, handmade and fresh picked around here.

Still my favorite Nativity of all time--I've never seen one I like as much as this plain one carved out of olive wood.


The tree has a mix of homemade and store bought--a hodge-podge of memories hanging from the branches. I confess to being partial to the ones the boys made through the years.

They just make our tree more special.

I never met a kid-crafted ornament that I could leave in storage. In fact, when I kick them out someday, the boys can take the "Baby's 1st Christmas" ornaments from Hallmark and I'll keep the ones they made out of yarn and construction paper and glue.


Speaking of kid stuff, I hang up their old Christmas art work, too. Right above the door to my library--two rows of reindeer, stockings, Santas, wreaths, trees, even a menorah!

Most of the decorations in the library came from outside--pinecones in little clay pots,


berries and greens.

Mr. D still isn't a fan of my paper wreaths hanging here and there, but everybody likes looking at the Christmas cards hanging on that door.


Next to the Door O' Cards--Sarah made the "W" for us and I love plugging it in--what a perfect spot for it!

Sarah also made the JOY on my kitchen sink window.


Hanneke from Northwoods Adventures made me this wonderful garland! Isn't it just terrific? Mr. B's camera doesn't do it justice, though I tried several angles and settings. Maybe I should get a new camera for Christmas (HINT).

That's a slightly better shot--grey felted hearts with red and white balls threaded through. I wish I was as skilled as Hanneke! And it came wrapped so pretty, too!


One last look at the tree (now plugged in) before you go--off to the next spot on the 2011 Holiday Homes Tour!

32 comments:

  1. Festive. Your holiday decorations leave me wishing that we'd kept the kid-made art over the years to pin up. Their ornaments are definite favorites. I'm not sure where the Hallmark ornaments ended up in the move, but the ones made by three pairs of growing hands are all on the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! It's wonderful to cherish those memories.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beutiful! I especially like the nativity

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so beautiful!!!! I just love your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the W...and berries...and garland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it all. It's just so you.

    Although I do confess to wishing there had been a yeti sighting in one of your photos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got the kid stuff on a special tree this year. I love how you've brought the outside in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got the kid stuff on a special tree this year. I love how you've brought the outside in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful. I love that you bring the outdoors in. And that felted heart garland is the bees knees! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the kid crafted items. It makes it just feel like home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it all - the woodsy, handmade vibe is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE my girls handmade ornaments too!! Your nativity is beautiful!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have our stockings!! Well, technically, I suppose we have the same stocking pattern. ;-) Our whole extended family has one of those, and has for many years. My great-aunt used to knit them, then my mom's cousin and now my sister. What fun to see them elsewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great beautiful work of art you've created! The nativity set, actually, the entire mantel is perfect, and the pine cones in the pots -- I've never seen that done before. I may run out and buy some little pots now. (not really) But, I do think they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! My kids begged me not to hang up most of their homemade things this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the kid ornaments, we have loads of those too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun and festive! I love all of it, especially the handmade ornaments and decorations. What great keepsakes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kid-made ornaments are the best! And I agree, that is a wonderful Nativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The pinecones on pots are so cute. Love all the homemade and special gifted items.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE your mantel and the string of felt hearts. All your decorations are so perfect for where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful tour. I love home-made ornaments the best, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very nice! I like the line up of grape vine wreathes on the mantle. Have a lovely Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks beautiful! That's exactly how my tree ornaments are too, it tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your decorations look so thoughtfully done -- it's just lovely! Mine look like, well, like I've-done-it-so-leave-me-alone!

    ReplyDelete
  25. just lovely! your house and decoration are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Home Sweet Home! I love all your decorations and photos. What a welcoming and warm home you have.

    Wishing you and your family a happy and joyful Christmas. xo jj

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, it is a beautiful tree. Filled with love emanating from each piece delicately place on the tree. All this work, and you make it sound so peaceful.

    Lovely,

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  28. You and I have the same sentiment about the homemade kid ornaments. Ours didn't come out this year and I miss them. I love the glass block W! I saw one like it the other day and am determined to make one for next year! You have a lovely home, I enjoyed visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, I love the paper wreaths! So rustic, but cool at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm going to hit up IKEA for some little pots for pinecones--I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  31. When I was growing up, we had a very simple nativity too. I loved it. Unfortunately the baby Jesus went missing after a few years. We fear he was thrown away with the old tissue paper. I am always on the lookout for something similar but have yet to find it. Needless to say, my plan to make my own this year fell apart.

    Your house looks absolutely lovely! And thank you for the compliment. I am so happy to see your garland found a nice light spot.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.