Monday, December 19, 2011

launched! part II

Saturday was the Appleton book launch for Whipped, Not Beaten--the one I helped coordinate and to which I invited all of my friends & family & the hygienist who cleans my teeth. We had door prizes from home party lines, recipes from the book and chocolate treats to eat and drink at Atlas Coffee Mill--just the cutest place on the river. Behold:


Cornerstone Press sent a contingent to handle all book sales, publicity and other stuff I'm not privy to knowing about:


Can you tell they were a creative and fun staff to work with?

My fellow writers, you should be so lucky as me to work with people this enthusiastic about your work.

They set up a lovely display of books.


And then my peeps came and filled the room with good wishes and glad tidings.

I wanted to talk to everyone. PTA moms, dear friends, karate co-kickers, former colleagues, Cubbie leaders, bloggy pals, family, even Kristy who does my hair (and who told me my hair looked fabulous and she'd even thought of calling me that morning to offer to blow it out for me).


The Bumble Book Club was well represented, naturally.

After an hour of signing books and talking to people, Per gave a little introduction and I started to speak. And I looked out at the room FULL of people who had been so generous and supportive to me, all of that LOVE and I immediately choked up and got tears in my eyes and I swear if I hadn't pulled it together I'd have launched into a 5-minute sobfest. Thankfully I got a grip and proceeded to speechify.

With my hands, because that's how I talk. I use a hybrid sign/slang language to get my point across.

I talked about the journey from conceiving the book to writing it to getting rejected a gazillion times to finally getting published. I talked about the people who made it possible, especially grateful to these guys:

And then I read a little and wrapped it up so I could get back to mingling and doling out door prizes

and signing more books.

It was memorable and perfect and awesome. I'm thankful to everyone who came, to everyone who helped make the event run so well, and to everyone who bought my book for themselves or as a gift to someone else.

Now, to answer your questions:

1) I wore a Title Nine shirt, an Eddie Bauer skirt from a zillion years ago when I was still teaching, Target tights, a Vintage Pearl necklace, Lori Anderson earrings and a bracelet I bought in Ireland years ago. Oh, the shoes are Clarks and ADORABLE, trust me.

2) You can still buy books. Online at Cornerstone Press or locally at the Atlas Coffee Mill, the Freedom Pursuit store and Book Worlds all over the area. It will be at Pages & Pipes after the holidays. The B&N corporate office in New York did not choose to carry this book, nor hundreds of other titles published by independent and small presses. I have no further comment on the politics of publishing at this time. No e-book is currently available.

3) Sure, I'd LOVE it if you review my book on your blog, at GoodReads or anyplace else that seems appropriate to review a comic novel about home parties and romance and public radio. Let me know what you need and I'll gladly supply it for you!

And to all of you who have bought copies already, thank you THANK YOU for the support.

24 comments:

  1. You did a great job and I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My You-Go-Girl pom poms are out and waving wildly. I wish we were local, but yay anyway from many miles away.
    I love Mr. D's look of pride in that photo, and that all your misters are supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like such a fun night :-) Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again -- HUGE CONGRATS!!! Glad you have so much wonderful support. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like so much fun! You look adorable. And should be so proud.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incrediable support system. Kudos for emotionally reining it in, that can be very difficult.

    We are heading into your neck of the woods on Wednesday, to spend Christmas with my folks (close to Madison). I'll see if I can pick up Whipped to read on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and YOU looked fabulous. Can't go wrong with a pair of Target tights by the way... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good one..GOOD ONE!!!! If your publisher is actually SENDING people to HELP you promote the book, girl, ...that's big, when a publisher does that...those publicists have salaries, y'know! you don't even know how well that bodes.

    F*%king well. It bodes well.
    *hahaha!!
    This means making Friends AND some $$.
    <3
    Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! THis is huge!! I'm so happy for you!

    (huge spurt of confetti, out the back of my monitor! YAY!!!)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Green, you go girl!
    I am pleased to be able to say I have "known" you since before, and can say you are still as down to earth since becoming such a well known and published author as you were before.
    am looking forward to reading your book.
    sure is a good looking bunch of guys living with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy I got a copy and got to meet you. Sorry I couldn't stay longer. I'm about 1/3 of the way into it and love it so far. They should make it into a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so very proud of you and wish I could have been there. I can't wait to share copies of Whipped on my blog after the holidays.

    And thank you for the fashion details. Very important to me, you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh. I'm all choked up reading this. What a wonderful way to end the year.

    Cheers to dreams coming true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so flipping honored you wore earrings I made! And SO proud of your book accomplishments! I have a beading book coming out next year, but SO want to write my memoirs -- we should chat, and I think I need your book!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, LOVE the photo of Team Testosterone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking at the pictures of your party and reading was so fun. It sounds like everything was perfect, and the boys look so cute. Their dad's not so bad either. :)

    I truly wish I could buy your book but for the last year I've been living on a survival budget. I was hoping it could be found online. Perhaps in time.

    Anyway, I'm so happy everything went well. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that's the first pic I've seen of Mr D...now wonder you have such good looking boys!

    That looks like a fun party.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats!!! Just wish I could have been there in more than spirit :0

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perhaps we should explain to Amazon or B&N that you have a world-wide audience clamoring for your book! Any idea when the ebook might come out?

    ReplyDelete
  20. So exciting! And I know quite a few people who would love this book. Must get busy ordering!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds and looks absolutely fabulous! And I will definitely talk about your book on my blog once I actually get to read it! Maybe this Christmas break. :)
    Congratulations again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so wished I would have been able to make it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so amazing!! Such an accomplishment and it looks like a fun venue in which to celebrate! My mom's publishing a book this year, and we're all in shock. You must be loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.