Friday, December 2, 2011

so close to being rednecks around here

Feeling like I'm all that with a brilliantly conceived mantel and all the rest of the Christmas frou-frou set out. Mr. B and I cut a wheelbarrow full of boughs, branches and berries and they're all strategically hung, wired, laid and placed. Let the festivities begin!

I thought I'd get the Momvan washed today. My MIL lives on a dirt road, so that Thanksgiving trip to Iowa left it extra-dirty. Then I remembered we're stuffing a tree into the back of the Momvan tonight. Probably best to wait until after that, no?

Smashed a bunch of my best gourds and pumpkins so I could harvest the seeds and dry them out for next spring's planting. I labeled each pile with really precise descriptions. "Small White Bumpy Gourd." "Orange Yellow Striped Gourd. Some Bumps." My favorite pumpkin, a gorgeous bumpy one with great color had a super-thick shell. I ended up banging it against the floor, muttering Give up your seeds, bitch. It took a lot of tries and coercing (cursing), but I finally cracked her open.

Mr. D let loose about 20 pheasants on our property last night. We'll see how they do. This is our 4th attempt at planting pheasants around here. One year we got so hopeful, a couple made it through the winter and had babies. Then they all disappeared. Eaten by foxes? Hit by cars? We'll never know. The first time we let pheasants go, one flew directly into the side of our neighbor's shed and killed itself. I swear, pheasants are about the dumbest birds ever (and that's saying something, because really? We're talking birds.) Within days we found 2 more dead in the road. Mind you, we live on 60 acres with a bit of development to the south and nothing but wetlands, woods and farm fields to the north for over a mile between us and the next intersection. Turkeys do really well out here, we have a huge flock thriving on the other side of the creek. Hopefully these pheasants are smarter than the last few batches, but I doubt it. I didn't take photos of the release because it was too dark.

Anyway, the master plan is for Mr. D and Team Testosterone to be able to hunt pheasants some day--they'll be that prolific around here. I despise pheasant. It's too gamey, a heavy tasting meat that grosses me out. I confess to not minding if the pheasants never get to huntable numbers around here, but it is cool to watch them fly up when you're walking around the field and prairie.

Still no sign of that cat.

Birdfeeders are full, but we haven't had any visitors yet.

Snow is in the forecast.

19 comments:

  1. I have the attitude of it's winter, why bother trying to keep the car clean! We had flurries last night, just enough to slicken things up, but not make a dent on covering all the brown around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing the part that is close to being redneck. ;) Maybe I'm too close to being a redneck to see it. :)

    I'd love to see a pic of your house all decorated. I LOVE fresh cut boughs and berries decorating a house. So pretty. :)

    Snow. Mphf. Not much to say about that other than, I'm still not ready.

    Hope you find that cat! Maybe put out some food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your seed descriptions. I could have labeled one of my tomato plants (that was the extent of my summer gardening) "lots of leaves and not much fruit."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pheasants may be dumb, but they are neat looking birds at least. Maybe they make up in beauty what they lack in brains?

    I'd never release pheasants here for hunting (even if we did hunt) because it'd just be another reason for our 'bad' neighbors to poach on our land (mad).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had fun with the seed storage.
    set out a bit of food for the cat, and likely you will find either it or a skunk.
    was the momvan? umm almost never, have to drive too many gravel roads. usually only in the spring to get the road salt off.
    I too have had your feeling about the taste of pheasant, however, I ran across a really great pheasant recipe and it is good. let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the problem with washing cars --they always seem to get dirty again. I can put it off until the salt crystals start growing on the metal.

    Emma created a very pretty table decoration for us from pine branches and cones she got from the yard, all arranged artfully in a twig basket. We added a couple of inexpensive gold balls, and she got crafty with a tiny bit of glitter on the cones (she used a paint brush for the glue, to make sure she didn't get too much). She's going to make a great interior decorator some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a dirty car person, so it's lucky that I don't drive on many dirt roads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Give up your seeds,bitch"
    I snorted.

    If Team T hunt pheasant will they be cleaning and de-feathering in your garage? Ewwwwww.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes my Momvan gets the needles vacuumed out of it in... February. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny about the birds. Well, in a sad sort of way. We have a lot of turkeys around here. They hop on my deck and look for the seeds every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes birds are dumb but I hope the Pheasants survive and thrive for you so the males can go and kill them......lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Birds ARE dumb. I saw a turkey tom and a hen the other day in Minneapolis. Seriously -- Minneapolis! THere's just something really weird about being in a city and looking over to see this huge ugly bird...

    We did the same over here, by the way, with the boughs and the berries and whatnot, except in the flowerboxes on the outside of the house. We won a $50 prize last year for our decorations and my husband is now determined to "place" every year. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have started to decorate but we don't have a tree yet. It's not going to happen this weekend either. After that, I'll wash the car. Not that we can stuff a tree in Big Blue, but it can travel on top. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We got rain this weekend and for that we are thankful. My niece in MI got a wonderful blanket of snow. Our neighbor, who we depend on for outside lights, is getting it together today. I do the decorating inside and enjoy everyone else's outside. Do love the smell of fresh cut pine though. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Give up your seeds, bitch?"

    Love it! And I don't think that makes you a redneck - it makes you awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds winter-y around there! And beautiful. And fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That third paragraph is so funny....

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually had to read a couple of bits out loud to my mister because he wanted to know why I was very nearly actually rolling on the floor laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Give up your seeds, bitch." Seriously, I'm going to be laughing about that for the next week...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.