Friday, January 20, 2012

kitchen reveal!

I feel a bit like Paige Davis, all bouncy in my blue jeans and grinning and eager to show you MY NEW KITCHEN! It's not new-new, really, more a matter of paint and accessories; no walls, cabinets or appliances were altered in this redecoration project.

But first, the back story. When we moved it, I had the kitchen walls painted a very neutral taupe-y shade. My library is painted burgundy, the downstairs bathroom peach, the laundry room a bright green, the upstairs rooms are blue and yellow. But the kitchen was just drab and bleh.

It wasn't until I spotted some photos on Pinterest (oh, Pinterest, you time-sucking devil!) that I began to explore a specific color scheme. I found these sites that cemented my decision to move ahead:

Aqua and Red

House of Turquoise

Let the AQUA and RED kitchen begin

This:

became this:

(same cluttered fridge, but look at the WALLS!)

I went from this (note the black rug beneath the stove--BOR-ING):

to:
Look how that punch of bright blue makes the room cheerful. Inspired by the aqua and touches of red/coral, I painted my recipe box and the basket o' potholders. (New red and turquoise potholders.)


The five new knobs and rugs look grand, too.

I like how the shot of color catches my eye when I come around the corner in our living room.

All new dishtowels in bright red!


Everyone seems happier in my new kitchen. Team Testosterone like that it's cheerful and bright. I like that it's fresh and decluttered (because there's no way you can clear off all your counter tops for the painter and not feel compelled to rid yourself of some of it). I even scrubbed the grout between the floor tiles. My happy new kitchen has inspired me to bake 2 batches of brownies, a blueberry muffin cake, 4 loaves of banana bread and a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I want to be in my kitchen, and that's sayin' something.


It's true that color can change your mood. If a space makes you crabby, a bucket of paint might make all the difference.

Spill it, reader. What space have you improved upon with a gallon of paint?

31 comments:

  1. I love that blue! it looks so great.

    And that's a lot of baking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! The blue makes the space look bigger and your pops of red go really well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very nice. I heard blue kitchens make you want to eat less, but red kitchens make you want to eat more, so that should be a nice balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't improved anything YET but I'd like to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The links are dangerous. Thankfully, I followed them before seeing the Big Reveal, so I had to pull myself out of the time suck to see your bright, cheery kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! too hilarious we picked the same colors....now if only we could see you in the kitchen (hint hint)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your kitchen colors. Our kitchen walls are blue, too! Well, they were. Now they are just grime-colored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. precious!! I love blue and red paired together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sigh, no paint improvements in the 11 yrs we've lived here, though I've been eyeing the playroom for every single one of those years. want to make it a fun teen room. but you know, teens can't be pleased so I'm doomed.

    Love the blue but really really lurrrve the red accents. I'm mad about red accents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!!!! Paint does make your mood change :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I improved my bedroom by going butter yellow (again with the butter!) and it was risky but IT WORKED! I have to repaint this flat soon, the BEIGE is getting boring. It's a big job though, so much easier to just retouch where necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the color! wonder if my new landlord will let me do some painting. hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Melissa:
    it is so true that paint can make such a difference to a room. Your new turquoise tints and shots of lipstick red have really livened up the kitchen. It looks very stylish and new life has been breathed into it. We have to say, however, that we dislike ever going in to our kitchen and no amount of paint on the walls can change that for us we fear!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it amazing how something small like a drawer knob can make such an impact? I love the combination!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great!!!!! I love the pops of red.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looks very cheery--it's amazing what a difference new pulls and new towels make!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will be 47 years old (oh my) in 3 weeks and I have never painted a wall.

    The kitchen is beautiful! I absolutely love the wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love turquoise and red! My kitchen needs a facelift - I might need to go play around with Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you wanted that butter dish. You may want to go ahead and put a 1/2 stick of butter in it and see how it looks on the counter. I may be worth keeping up with. Love the colors, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My favorite color combo, in all shades! Lovely and fresh. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aqua and red is such an awesome combination! Your kitchen looks cheerful. I can imagine it's a fun place to be.

    I should probably show my kitchen now too, right? It's been a while since I went to town with my gallon of paint.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love aqua and red. To me, that color combo feels fun and retro. Your new kitchen looks so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty!

    When we moved into our house, the kitchen was painted dark red to go with an apple theme the previous owners had. It was cute, but it just didn't "work" because it's a "great room" and the kitchen, dining room, and living room are all combined. The red broke things up, so we did the opposite and painted it a cream shade to match the rest of the room. Doing that made it feel larger for some reason.

    And downstairs in our basement they had the walls painted dark green with burgundy highlights. Again, a nice choice, but not for a room with NO windows. It was like a cave. We painted it lighter, which seemed to brighten it up somewhat.

    Love the blue, though! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The blue is beautiful!!!!!!! I've been toying with the idea of blue accessories to snazz up my grey kitchen for the spring (if it ever gets here! ahhh! lol)

    Now cooking is even MORE fun, eh? =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cheerful! I can see why it makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOL! I painted my kitchen blue, too! It's "big sky", so it's not as warm a color as your. I've always had the urge to sponge in some clouds near the ceiling...

    Still, I only did the eating area -- I don't have the 20 hours to cut in the paint around the edge of all the cabinets, the stove, the backsplash, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You need to check out Target. I was just there yesterday and they have a whole kitchen section with stuff in your colors!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's the happiest kitchen EVER! I love bright colors too. My old living room was a mustardy yellow, the kitchen, apple green (with red accents, like you!) the office blue and my bedroom burgundy. I loved it!

    Enjoy your new pizazz!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You may have already seen this, but when I saw it I thought of your new turquoise kitchen. Darn cute for a dumpy old basement laundry room!

    http://www.remodelaholic.com/2012/01/turquoise-and-red-laundry-room/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the new color combo! We need to redo our kitchen cabinets, but can't get motivated. We painted the walls a lovely green, but now I'd like to do the cabinets cream. Someday...

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.