Monday, January 30, 2012

more new stuff

It's good to know most of you are dedicated tire-well-snowpack kickers. Here's another one for you to chew on: wtf was Target thinking when it added on a pharmacy without adjusting the store layout? Instead of bumping out some room, they slammed an entire pharmacy counter right against the regular-spaced aisle, which already is too small to accommodate two passing shopping carts. Bad enough to be wedged up against all and sundry when the pharmacist is asking about your digestion tract/itchy rash/contraceptive needs. But you're also stuffed against the Cold and Flu/Pain Relief aisle, so everyone walking past is oozing contagion. Only a real moron would design a store that way. (Writes the girl who prefers the drive-thru window at Walgreen's because FAST! CONVENIENT! NO IMPULSE PURCHASES! PRIVATE!) Target, you're making it awfully easy to quit you.

On the "new experiences" front, I took Mr. T to see a local high school production Saturday night. It was charming. I was glad to introduce him to some straight drama (actually, a comedy, but no songs). The performances were quite good for high school and we both enjoyed the night out. And cheap--even with a treat afterwards, I spent less than $20.

Today I got called in for my first shift as a substitute teacher. A couple weeks ago the school secretary at PS told me how difficult it's been to find subs. I asked what the requirements were--only a bachelor's degree. Well, with my Masters in Curriculum and Instruction and nearly a decade of teaching experience, I might be able to help you out... My application hasn't even been fully processed and my phone rang at 6:15 this morning. I got the gravy shift--middle school language arts. A morning of mostly vocab review, a little C.S. Lewis, and some grammar instruction, which I was fully equipped to teach. Go ahead--ask me anything about adverb phrases or adjective phrases.
The bonus is that this particular teacher only works until noon. It's a particular sort of person (me) who wants temporary work (me) on a part-time basis (me) with kids (me) without having to work in the summer (me). (Pop quiz: how many prepositional phrases were in that last sentence?)

Spill it, reader. Your thoughts on the Target pharmacy, high school theater or substitute teaching.

16 comments:

  1. I bet you'll be the sub the lids love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my most vivid middle-school memories is that of my 7th-grade Language Arts class making the substitute teacher cry. We were an honors class, too.

    In our defense, she really shouldn't have worn that outfit. Think 70's, but more so. Mary Richards crossed with Chuckles the Clown...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts? Okay, I've never used the pharmacy at our Target, so I have no thoughts on that.

    I think middle school drama productions are always humorous, but not in the ways intended by teachers and students. I haven't been to any high school shows in 30 years, so I have no thoughts on those.

    As for substitute teachers, I think they're all saints in disguise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck on your new adventure in teaching. subbing can be a tough row to hoe. but will give you a unique perspective if you get on the school board.

    high school plays can be very good. usually the actors give good performances.

    as for target, it is 60 miles either east or north to find one, so almost never shop at one. but from your description, I wouldn't want to have to go there for my prescriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use our Target's pharmacy, but it is neatly tucked away and doesn't prevent people from buying all they want, so I guess the issue varies by location.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually quit going to the Target pharmacy a little over a year ago. They always make you wait almost an hour even when all they're doing is slapping a lable on a packet (not even counting out pills). I also don't like how they close for lunch from 12:30-1:30. I get all my Rx sent to CVS now and they also have a drive-thru.

    Were there 6 prepositional phrases in there? Its been awhile, I could be bit rusty. I got a couple years to brush up before my son gets to middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're totally going to be the cool sub!

    Can't wait to read your tales from the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Target pharmacy sounds almost as bad as the Walmart pharmacy here. I don't get why people use them unless they don't have insurance.
    I didn't know you could substitute with only a B.A. I heard awhile back that you could be a regular teacher in the LA schools with only a B.A. It seems no one wants the job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have always secretly thought i'd like to be a sub. but i also think i would be very bad at it. the kids would kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our target is now turning into SUPER TARGET! Which means for now they are moving all the isles around. Since I cant find anything, it gives me much more time to check out all the clearance stuff and buy all the things! Like 8 cute turquoise salad plates why not! I love target, but my wallet hates it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I only use the WalMart (extremely roomy) pharmacy ($4 generics!) and the Grocery store pharmacy (FREE diabetes and blood pressure meds).

    High school theater can be awesome if the school has a good drama teacher. I have terrible stage fright but I was on the tech crews.

    My sister-in-law has spent years as a sub. Now that her youngest is in middle school they offered her a permanent part-time position.

    The school where Sorority Girl is student teaching is having a BEAR DRILL this week! YES! BIG BLACK BEARS wander onto the playground!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a perfect gig for a gal like you. I'm sure it will be a mutual admiration society between you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those middle schoolers don't know how lucky they were today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that sounds like a dream job - aside from the spit wads hitting you in the back of the head whenever you turn your back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe Target is angling for those pharmacy customers who don't understand why one must end all cell phone calls prior to being served?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, our old Vons grocery store was like that. Two carts can barely pass in their aisles. Miserable.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.