Tuesday, January 31, 2012

of subs

Oh, you are all so sweet to worry about me, but I'm fine. No spitballs in my hair. No sore throat from yelling. No new wrinkles, grey hairs or nervous break downs. My subbing gig is in a small town parochial school--with a correspondingly tiny staff I'll probably only get called a few times a month. I know all the students from serving in the cafeteria, I know many of their parents. As a former teacher I don't want to be their new best friend nor do I feel the need to enter the room as a rigid authoritarian, ready to write up and dress down any kid who drops a pencil. I come in striking that good balance of "let's get your work done" mixed in with a few lame jokes because I never met a pun I didn't like. Subbing at the PS is a cherry gig--almost as sweet as my BFF's son's babysitting job--except he gets paid the same as me to play video games during his shift.

One of my informal references for this gig turned out to be a former student of mine whose kids attend this school. I don't believe they even called the people I listed on the job application. The paperwork has been more overwhelming than the actual subbing job--you'd think in the land of the free a girl could just work, but I have to prove my citizenship, fill out tax forms, establish my criminal record is nonexistent and all other manner of frittery. It's more work to WORK than to actually work, you know?

The whole filling out paperwork made me think of back when I applied to graduate school. I loathe red tape. One of the many forms I had to fill out was one establishing residency. I could either establish my residency based on where my parents lived or based on where my husband lived back in the day. Yep, those were the only two options on the form. I remember being so annoyed that I couldn't just establish my own damn residency, why did I have to adhere to the patriarchal rules dictated by a husband or a father? What was this--1708? I hope things have changed since then. I have no plans to return to graduate school, but I hope women can establish their residency based on their own merit.

Now, for my fellow Downton Abbey Fans, I leave you with this link.

15 comments:

  1. I remember that too. Apartment living was totally frowned on at my college, but I was out of the dorms sophomore year anyhow (they required it freshman year - no work arounds)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think you'd be an awesome take no crap from anyone kind of sub!

    Wow, I would be completely snockered halfway through Downtown Abby ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to work in administration at a private school,which required fingerprinting at the police department and full background checks, even though I wouldn't be around students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy the subbing. The idea of it makes me cringe, just slightly, remembering my days at Mothers Day Out, but this is way different, and I know you'll be awesome!

    I'm not even going to look at that Downton Abbey link. I haven't started Season 1 yet!! I need to get caught up!

    P.S. Thanks for keeping my widget till the bitter end!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey teachergirl...check out what i just posted on my facebook page...Ryan gosling is now admiring teachers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try emigrating or applying for a gaming license. They bring a whole new meaning to red tape.

    And I had to have Ryan sign off on my residency when I went for a driver's license back in Washington. Grrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my husband and I bought our first car, in 1993, the car dealer guy refused to put my name first on the title. Even though my husband had never owned a car before and I had owned two cars. Nope, the woman goes second. Grrr.

    Glad you survived subbing. I never would!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had it out with my local public school the first time something was sent home addressed only to my husband. Apparently the system just did the man's name when there were two names listed. They figured out that it would just be easier to hand-address the envelopes coming to my house!

    It sounds like you've got a sweet gig going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun -- the subbing, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yeah...proving residency is a big deal, here in nuevo mexico, as you might imagine...

    For some reason your post made me think of Blackboard Jungle..*hahaha ever see it? Wow ~ ! Sidney Poitier is practically in diapers...he does a great job, natch. What an interesting film about the climate for teachers at that particular time and place. It hasn't earned its place as a classic for no reason! Anyone who hasn't seen it, give it a lookie! And thank goodness this isn't Green Girl's environment! *heeheehee!! ::wink!::

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paperwork SUX. I would love you to be my teacher, though.

    Any time Carson decants wine through cheesecloth, I pretty much take a drink of as much wine as he's decanting. We call those "Jocelyn's Rules."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Paperwork stinks. Why isn't everything electronic yet?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would apply to sub here but you have to have a teaching certificate. i have a graduate level degree - just not a teaching certificate. {sigh} i'd apply for one if i thought i could work every day but this is a small town with not many options. we shall see...

    congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wowza!!!! I've been thinking of being a sub too!!!!! I'm so happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I subbed for 2 1/2 years before I got hired full time. It was a learning experience. My main memory is of feeling like I was starting a new job each and every day. New place, new people, new plans and routines - even new parking lots. After a while it got to be exhausting.
    The work itself, however, was fascinating and sometimes even fun!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.