Friday, January 13, 2012

The Photo Project

So that Jen on the Edge challenged us to a Photo Project. The upshot: post pictures of ourselves without apology. For some folks this meant getting on the other side of the camera (because if your family is anything like mine, your photo album makes your family look like mom never went on a single family vacation, never had a birthday and missed all the Major Holidays). For others this meant stifling their urge to point out their flaws (There I am at the beach with all the hairs on my chin highlighted by the sun in the background and my pudgy thighs showing!).

Now I had the distinct advantage of some Book Launch Events for which I made the effort to look nice, so most of my pictures are from that. To be fair, I threw in a couple others that reveal a less polished side. I got a new camera for Christmas and haven't got it set up to download photos yet from the holidays so here's what I managed to obtain:

Second row, far left, looking weary of all the karate hoopla. This was taken after I earned my 2nd degree black belt. Note my partner has a similar expression on his face.

Self-portrait while driving.

At the Appleton book launch describing my work to the assembled crowd (I'm wearing a headset).
Me on the right in pink sweater---closest to a full-body shot that I could find.

Here I am posing, and thanks to my Bumble Book Club pal, Robin, for taking lots of pictures for me!

Reader, even if you didn't take Jen's challenge, I hope you put your best face forward in 2012. We're all beautiful and we owe it to our families and loved ones to document our own lives--even through pictures. Jen's challenge really made me think about what my kids will have left of me someday when I'm dead. I want them to have pictures to remember me by, to show to their children and grandchildren. To that end, I'm passing the camera to other people and getting in the shot more often!

Spill it, reader. Are you with me?

21 comments:

  1. I too am absent from most of our family photo's. It never occurred to me Lola would have very little to look at when I am gone until just now.

    Now all I have to do is teach my husband how to take pictures. All his are blurry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad Jen challenged us, I'm loving looking at all of us brave, beautiful souls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the longest time, you didn't post photos of yourself on your blog. I'm glad that you've started posting them and I'm really happy you put up so many today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are few photos of me because I usually hold the camera. And the ones of me that do exist seem to bring out lots of explanation of flaws. For an upcoming retreat I have to provide a photo of myself - to everybody! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am. Whenever I need a photo, I have to put the camera in someone's hands and ask for it...and to be very honest, I often am left wishing someone felt compelled or interested enough to do it without my asking. *dramatic sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you weren't actually driving while taking the self portraits ;-) Great collection of shots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm absent from most of our family pictures, too. Seems no one could operate the camera but me (and I didn't want to be in too many pictures - too fat, too awful looking, too something negative) or (this one is good), I didn't have any gifts to open so why take a picture of me??? Yeah, those holidays did happen.

    You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great pictures, and I think you are brave to show both sides of you: the "I'm so done" of the group shot and the lovely one of you signing your book.

    My mother always took a picture of the 4 children on Christmas Eve, posing in front of the tree. Since my dad wasn't usually home yet from church (he was a pastor), it made sense... and yet we were missing a family photo every year.
    Fast forward... my oldest son is now 20yo, the youngest is 12yo. We have very few family photos from Christmas Eve but ALWAYS a photo of the boys together. Since we had family visiting, I announced on the way home from church that no one got to do anything until a family picture was taken. I'm sorry to have twisted arms like that pleased with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm to pushy not to have my picture taken. I take a picture then give the camera to someone sitting there and have them take one of me in the same situation. This link is a before and after picture, back in 2010, when we went on Weight Watchers (starting the Wellness program at David's job).
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.437873526423.225891.511961423&type=1&l=d00c9da2f5

    We wore the same clothes at two different graduation ceremonies (David works at a university) so we'd have a good comparison picture. Thanks to Jen, a fun thing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the photographer in this family too. I just want to make sure I capture everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you look awesome. I especially love your smile in the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so right! I had to submit a photo for one of my kids' events with me in a photo with them. I couldn't find one from the time period requested. I had to give one of my hubby and the kids. After that, I started getting in the pics.

    Love these of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thoose are great shots--- and bonus points should be awarded as they are not posed family shots. Today was a Picture Post day for me, too. It just wasn't a post featuring me. I love the Photo Project idea, and I'm playing along very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely with you.

    If I had your adorable figure I'd be posting full-body shots every day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a tough challenge. I'm also the one behind the camera, and I hate, hate, hate pictures of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Melissa:
    We have found you via the wonderful Rubye Jack and are so pleased to have arrived. The energy in your posts is infectious, your life certainly seems to never have a dull moment.

    We have signed up immediately as Followers and look forward to keeping in touch with your adventures. We note the very British Hunter wellington boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great sentiments--Thanks for the reminder :)

    I apologize for not being aware that you have a book! That's really cool! I will have to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a zillion pics of me these days, since the teenager got attached to my camera :)

    P.S, I tried to order your book while I was away, and they said they don't deliver to the UK. Please advise! I have an iPad with Kindle app so can I download it there? Sorry to be clueless, I've been madly busy and stressed out! Just beginning to catch up, which I know will be temporary until the next crisis appears. Wish I could blog about EVERYTHING, it would be good therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like that idea! For Christmas I made a photo book for my family. When I was putting it together, I realized I didn't have a ton of pictures, so now I'm focusing on taking more. Cheers to documenting through photos!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.