Tuesday, January 10, 2012

that kind of friend

You know how you meet someone and immediately you think, "I love them. They are my Tacy/Diana/Bess." (bonus points for recognizing those children's classics) That happened to me when I interviewed for a teaching job--a woman about my age with long brown hair and a confident air walked past while I waited on a bench in the high school office and I immediately thought, "Please God, let me get this job and let her become my best friend." The man sitting beside me in the office leaned over and told me her name and that "she's one of the coolest teachers here." I got the job, she became my mentor and all these years later I still consider Nicole to be one of my best friends.

I have a few of these soul sisters in real life, but in the Blogosphere I lurked around a few blogs before starting my own. One of those blogs was Jen on the Edge and each time I read her posts I'd think, "If I knew Jen IRL, she'd be the perfect best friend." (I actually harbored some jealousy each time Jen posted about her shoe-shopping pal, Melissa--I know, my name--even though I don't like to shop for shoes.)

You can imagine my glee when Jen left me a comment on my blog asking for my phone number. MY NUMBER. This was bigger than big. Of course I called my BFF Sarah to tell her and together we tried to think of what this might mean.

Long story short: Eco Women was born. And I met my Bloggy BFF kind of IRL.

It's funny how in sync we are. We'll post about the exact same topic on the same day--even though we live half a continent and one time zone away from each other. We both love Colin Firth, all things British, 80's music and many of the same books. Our politics, parenting (even though she has daughters and I have sons--and I AM trying to arrange a marriage between our families because who wouldn't want Grace or Ellie as a daughter-in-law?) and environmental passions are muy simpatico.

But what's really cool is that Jen feels the same way as me (which is good because otherwise I'd come off as sort of creepy and desperate right now, wouldn't I?) and in the spirit of our friendship, she's giving away THREE COPIES OF Whipped, Not Beaten.

So, quit reading this post and click on the link to read her review and enter her drawing.

And take a moment to raise your coffee mug/beer can/Klean Kanteen water bottle to those Tacy/Diana/Bess friends.

24 comments:

  1. Love that you characterized a bff relationship as a tacy/diana/bess. Hm, I know the first two (I esp. LOVED Betsy books), but from where is Bess?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I will check out Eco Women! Funny story--my fiance says to me the other day, "Hey, good old GGIW commented on your blog." Haha..took me a minute. But then I was like yay! That means two awesome people read my post. :D So, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! No wonder. Was never a fan. Thanks for the explanation! Will stop cluttering your blog NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to friends with BOTH of you IRL. I have bloggy friends that I have met in person and loved them as much as I thought I would. I have never been disappointed. There are a few more that I am hoping to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so totally awesome! i feel the same way about some of my bloggy friends. i just *know* they would be dear friends IRL. (i think i would love hanging out with you - even though i'm probably much older, but only in years not in my mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a temp job in my mid-twenties. The office said they had another girl at the same location. She came to my cubicle and it was kismet. Our lives were very different but we clicked as though we had been friends forever. I think of those as special gifts God sends to say, "Life on earth doesen't have to suck."

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool to make that sort of connection online. :-)

    Tacy? That one doesn't ring a bell...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww...I got all goose bumpy and teary-eyed while reading. What Green Girl doesn't tell you is that I was ready to arm wrestle the rest of the department to mentor her. I felt the same way - her "coolness" was evident the minute the interview started! So lucky to have her in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only recognize Diana!! (I see Nancy Drew mentioned, and I have to admit, I've never read a Nancy Drew...)

    I'm so glad you found an online bestfriend :) I bet that feels lovely.

    Off to read her review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool story of your online to real life friendship. And what a generous giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Will my protein soy shake do? Heeehehhe!!!

    Ok, you've convinced me. I'm off to meet your BFF and enter the contest.

    Woohoo...I just love a great giveaway!

    God bless and enjoy your day sweetie!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OF COURSE I recognize Tacy, Diana, and Bess. I mean, duh.

    As for the rest of your post, now I'm all verklempt. Thank you. I can only imagine what it would be like if we were real neighbors -- I think we'd never get any work done because we'd always be doing stuff together.

    Even though my girls aren't into boys yet, they're totally fascinated by yours, due to the Yeti incident this fall, plus a few other stories I've recently told over the dinner table. (They also think a certain young man's urination off the front porch was hilarious.)

    XO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Betsy-Tacy! And dear, pleasantly plump Bess. I'm stumped on Diana, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doh! I couldn't figure out Bess either. I LOVED the Betsy Tacy series (did you know it continues up through Betsy's marriage?)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It took me completely by surprise how this whole blogging thing could lead to such great friendships. Amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Betsy and Tacy. Bess, Nancy and George.

    Diana? I'm lost.

    How about Trixie and Honey? Loved them! Also...Scarlett and Melanie. Nobody kills Union soldiers like those two! :) And of course, Ron, Harry, and Hermionie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and if the two of you are neighbors, I want to stay in the 'hood too. I'd enjoy hanging out with the two of you as you venture out to 'green up' the world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to admit a preference for George over Bess, and am a smidge ashamed to have no clue about the other two...

    ReplyDelete
  19. My hubs always has to ask...is it a real LIVE friend...or a bloggy friend????? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bess- Nancy pudgy friend? Tacy and Diana - still thinking.

    I'm headed over for the giveaway. As you know, I'm a slut for whatever.

    Go Pack!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can I get your book at Barnes & Noble? I've been gone awhile, but I'm back. Congrats on the book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Diana - Anne of Green Gables I would guess! I haven't read the Betsy/Tacy stories, sounds like something to dig up pronto :-).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love when that happens and have met a few of these soul sisters myself.

    And now I'm a little jealous. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.