Thursday, January 19, 2012

wtf, anthropologie?

While looking for some new hardware for my kitchen, I ended up at Anthropologie. The cyber version, not the brick-and-mortar one because all the neat stores are not HERE (yes, I'm talking to YOU, Title Nine, IKEA, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). Before checking out with my five new knobs, I trolled through the clearance bin and found the most twee butter dish. We eat butter at Chez Green Girl. Margarine is for sickos. In the Dairy State we're all about the real deal. We eat butter to the tune of at least a pound or more a week. I always keep a stick of better on the counter, nice and soft for spreading on toast, bread, English muffins--Paula Deen would feel right at home here. For $12 I could buy this adorable stoneware butter dish with a cover in a color that would match my redecorating.

Of course I clicked "Buy now."

No, I did not read the fine print. It's a freaking butter dish, right?

Then the UPS guy brought it to my front door a week later and I tore into the box, delighted with my five new knobs and perplexed by the butter dish.

Behold:
That, friends, is my new butter dish. Next to the butter dish is a stick of butter. In Wisconsin all butter comes packaged in sticks measuring a half-cup each. I've never seen it any other size or shape--except packaged as a whole pound block.

See how the butter is way too big for the butter dish?

Why would you design a butter dish perfectly sized for a half stick of butter?

And yet they did:

DETAILS

One pat or two? This festive stoneware container holds a half-stick of butter beneath its lid.
  • Stoneware
  • Dishwasher and microwave safe
  • 2.5"H, 6"W, 4"D
  • Imported

Had I bothered to read the fine print and not made my decision based solely on the picture, I wouldn't be stuck with this ridiculous version of a butter dish.

Half stick indeed. A pox on you, Anthropologie, and all of your silly proportions. Us real girls need actual sized kitchenware, not the diet-sized crap. (Or spinster-sized, come to think of it--this would be perfect for my grandma...)

29 comments:

  1. Bummer! Have you ever tried a butter bell? My friend swears by it in the summer...keeps it spreadable, but not grody half melted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you return it?

    If not, I guess you just lop off half a stick and plop it on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the Normal house, we only use real butter as well and I keep it in the cupboard, not the refrigerator (despite growing up in the same state, my MIL cannot fathom this and I am always searching for the butter dish after she's "helped"). J4 just broke my butterdish last week, so I am currently using a saucer and a piece of saran wrap. Thanks for the heads up, will not be ordering one from Anthro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, that butter dish looks exactly what I had in Holland where butter is sold in a different shape. I didn't bring it with me for obvious reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so strange! I've never seen butter come in sticks that size (and yes, we eat real butter in my house too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the fine print and thought "does she know it only holds 1/2 a stick?"
    I guess it keeps more of your butter fresh in the fridge. I also guess your Team T could go through half a stick for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do relate in the sense that it makes extra work every time you want to fill up the butter dish. But why not just think of it like a butter crock, chop it in half and stick it in? It *might* be airtight enough...and let's face it as soon as one puts out butter, one lops off a pat or two... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah for real butter, I milked those darn cows for 25 years.
    is the butter dish square? can you put the whole stick of butter in there, just cut in half sitting side by side?
    waste of time really. not sure what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anthropologie has adorable stuff... but I don't consider most of it practical!

    You would love Trader Joe's, but I don't think Whole Foods is anything you're missing. If you can get organic items elsewhere, you're doing just fine. They are largely overpriced, and quickly becoming too big for their britches. They have lost the small-chain, unique, local, honest feel, and they now feel just like any other market but with more expensive stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I'm guessing this is why it was on clearance?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never heard of Anthropologie. I'll have to look around on there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my butter bell (and real butter) more than I love my own children. Really. The drawback is that you must let each new stick soften enough to smush it down into the bell, and in homes with children the bell is very often empty. I once had a butter dish that went with my Corelle dishware but was designed for long skinny sticks of butter (apparently the Eastern style); here in the West our sticks are made shorter and thicker, requiring a suitably shaped butter dish. (I don't know what midwestern butter looks like.) The bell sidesteps that problem but fantastic as it is, it might not fly at your house...

    ReplyDelete
  13. For a moment I thought the butter dish was just shaped for European butter. But a half stick? Really?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, that would just bug the buhjeezua outta me! I'd send it back for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love butter here, too. hmmm... maybe you should send it back with the explanation that "real" people by butter by the whole stick - not the half-stick!

    i need to find out what a butter bell is. sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Anthropologie.

    This made me laugh out loud. If you have a Whole Foods near you, their butter comes in short, extra thick sticks, but it would probably be pretty ridiculous to make a special trip to Whole Foods just to accommodate your butter dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The red color is great. I'd say save it and give as a white elephant gift at the next appropriate party or give as a graduation gift to a college bound student or a house warming gift to a single, portion controlled friend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, butter!

    That's really all I have to add. Except that now I will definitely be having buttered toast for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a sweet vintage china butter dish that is probably about that size. I cut the sticks i half so they fit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I used to accidently buy my Land O Lakes butter in half-stick sizes - there were 8 half-sticks in a box. Then I had to put two in my regular size butter dish.

    Many years ago the butter came in one-lb blocks and we had to cut off chunks of it for our square butter dish. That was a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now, Green Girl, just cut your butter in half and get a grip! Butter is worth a little inconvenience.

    I get lots of organic butter in my weekly organic farm delivery, and it is SO edible. Now I look closely... I think my butter would EXACTLY fit in your butter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Commonly heard in my house: "everything's better with butter!" you also can substitute bacon. Either way, dee-lish.

    Saw several recommendations for butter bells (love mine) and here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Butter-Bell-BB-RED-Crock-Red/dp/B000BOWWZQ

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, I'm just giggling because I can't count the times I've LOOKED at measurements and it just totally didn't click.

    ReplyDelete
  24. And that size butter dish won't fit into the butter dish holder in the fridge for those three days a year when it's too hot to leave butter on the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You had me at "magarine is for sickos"!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Why would you want to go to the trouble of putting half a stick of butter out? Weird.

    Anthropologie...trying to be trendy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is actually the perfect butter dish for us! I like to keep out only half of a stick because we don't go through (soft) butter very quickly. We just don't eat a lot of buttered bread! We had it on a dish but I really wanted to get something with a cover & found this while searching for a 'half-stick' option.

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.