Tuesday, February 28, 2012

blooms


Of course the forsythia I cut for Thursday's Bumble Book Club meeting looked gorgeous two days later. Even so, I'm glad I did it because it sure brightens up the place. You can cut all kinds of spring-blooming willows or forsythia this time of year and bring them inside. The warmth will force early blooms on bulbs, too, if one were so inclined to dig into the frozen turf for daffodil or tulips. I'll stick with forsythia branches because I only have to walk a few feet out my front door to access them.

In other signs of spring, I've almost got my seed order ready to place. This winter I got one of those small shelf-style greenhouses to put on our front porch. Armed with starter soil, cardboard egg cartons, last year's seed harvest and the seeds I'll order, I have big BIG ambition for an early start on the season.

Since I'll have a wattle under construction, I plan to expand into the space beside the raised beds. I asked my guy (the landscaper who sells me wood chips) if it's too early to deliver mulch. He laughed and told me it would be a couple months yet. Until it's time, I'll doodle away on graph paper, designing the plan for the new space.

Carrots, lupines, peppers, hydrangeas, onions, zinnias, blackberries, cranesbill, tomatoes, astilbe, beans, lilies of the valley, squash ... that's what's on my mind lately. Spill it, reader. What's on yours?

12 comments:

  1. I want some forsythia!!! They are beautiful and springy---what a dreary winter mood lifter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do a serious sweeping on the screened porch and dust off the outdoor dining furniture.

    We lounged by the (unheated) pool the other day, trying to remember when the water was warm enough to get in last year.

    Do you grow cucumbers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew that about forsythia! I have some that I planted years ago, but never tried bringing it inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just green. Anything green. Anything not dirty white, grey, tan, or wet-colored. This has been a relatively easy winter but still my soul yearns for warm and verdant and lush and green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're lucky to be able to garden. I have failed at all my attempts to garden. We're talking to a contractor about putting down a brick patio over a big chunk of garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted a forsythia a while back but, aside from a few weeks of beautiful yellow blossoms, it is a decidedly ugly landscape plant that refuses to play well with its neighbors, so it had to go. I like to bring in a branch off the very old yellow plum tree but I have to act fast because there's about 48 hours between tight buds and falling petals. At least it lives right outside my big slider and I can watch the whole show but don't have to vacuum it up. Your wattle project inspired me to try [again] to drag my "garden" (half-barrel as heavy as a cow) into a sunnier spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, well it DOES look beautiful now, at least! Majestic and wild. Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, btw! And, on my mind? That spring flowers will stick around until April 28th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not aware of any blooming bushes in my relatively new backyard. But I desperately want some flowers! I drove all the way to Green Bay today to visit Stein but no luck. Very disappointing. I had to settle for a little almost dried out, don't know how they can still ask money for it, cyclamen from Home Depot. My Dutch heart aches for more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The forsythia in your photo just warms my weary heart! I do not have gardening on my mind, but I am watching the places where I planted new bulbs last fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of flowering stuff, not so much veggie-type stuff. Only a small kitchen garden this year, due to plans for a long trip during the height of tomato season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It worked out that my son lost a college textbook recently--it makes it very easy for me to have him spend several hours of his spring break getting my beds weeded for planting. There's always a silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture is gorgeous! I love forsythia and I LOVE the color of your walls! And as you mentioned before, we have the same kitchen table, so I dig that too. :)

    I see I'm not the only one with spring/summer fever. I can wait to start my planting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.