Wednesday, February 15, 2012

if you give a green girl a paint chip

She'll decide to paint her living room walls.

The point where two colors meet is where a giant shark bares its teeth.

Which will in turn make the kitchen walls look shabby. So she'll get those painted, too. And she'll add in new hardware, rugs and a picture.

New rug on super-clean floor. She might eat off of that floor later.

Then she'll notice how grungy her floors look against the freshly painted walls, so she'll begin scrubbing the grout (on her hands and knees like a scullery maid from Downton Abbey) with a bucket of soapy water and a brush. Her shoulders will ache but her heart will swell with pride as her efforts make the floor look brand new once more. But now the bathroom tiles look grungy, so the Green Girl feels compelled to scrub that grout as well.

Damn, that's some clean grout. Damn, do her shoulders ache.
Does it stop here?

No, it does not.

The door of her freshly painted kitchen leads to the laundry room. Now the Green Girl realizes that her laundry room looks dismal--it needs another coat of paint, the edge by the ceiling was never done properly, really the whole room should get emptied out and re-set.

She ran out of paint and quit mid-project about 2 years ago. The shame of it.

She'll need more hooks.

Estimated Dust Bunny Population: 4,243
And maybe a bench with storage.

All she thinks is "What a mess" every time she walks through this room.

Some of this stuff needs to disappear. She wonders if there's a hitman service for clutter--some kind of mafia that could come in and clean house--eliminate this for a fee so she doesn't have to get her hands dirty.

The grout and the rugs are crying out for soap and water.

And she wonders, if she finishes the laundry room, where will it lead her next?
Spill it, reader. What project did you start only to find it never seemed to end?

19 comments:

  1. De-cluttering. The clearing of one pile o' stuff from counter or corner seems to make other such chaos stand out. I live in hope of one day standing back to appreciate the results of organizing and cleaning out a space to see that there's not another one waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabric de-stashing. I think if I'd resolved to just give it away, it'd have been out the door quickly. Instead, I thought, "I should try to sell all this fabric!" Which means:

    Carting it all out
    Ironing it (if necessary)
    Taking photos
    Editing photos
    Measuring the fabric pieces
    Pricing each piece
    Figuring out the best place to sell it

    I'm through the measuring piece, though now that I think about it, I have no idea where those measurements are. So . . . I have photos taken.

    I think I'm just going to have to give it away.

    Also, your laundry room makes me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the exact reason I haven't painted my kitchen or my living room. I can't afford a new sink or countertops, which my kitchen desperately needs, so painting seems like a lot of work to still be dissatisfied. The living room needs new carpet and curtains and the couch and coffee table need makeovers. If I paint, everything else will still be shabby and mismatched, so I haven't painted there, either. My bedroom and my girls' room are beautifully decorated and everything matches, but the rooms we spend the most time in are a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly why I ignore projects ;-) Your place is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh darlin', my life is just a ongoin' project 'cause you are 100% right...one thing leads to another.

    Hubs learned a long time ago to simply say...yes dear!

    God bless ya and have a wonderful day!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the older part of our house (built in 1845) every small project reveals a larger, hidden project that must be completed before the small one can be completed. Fifteen years ago, when we first moved in, we had limitless energy. Not so much now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is what happens to me all the time. This is why I never get anything done -- something else always pops up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm lucky. I like chaos and clutter just doesn't bother me. However, I usually have a yard sale every 3 months or so and life goes back to a sort of minimalism.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knitting! But that's such luxury I can't beat myself up about it.

    Your walls look great! And you can always just pretend you WANTED your laundry wall be two-toned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We thought we were going to renovate our old house and ended up building a new one three miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously? You need to get to my house and help me out!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have days when I just want to get stuck in and clean and I do and other days I just close the door and pretent I can't see the mess.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sister-in-law put a Norwex towel in my hand and I went bananas after the Christmas holidays. I couldn't move my shoulder for a week after but boy did the house sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Scrubbing floors always leads to scrubbing baseboards which leads to cleaning behind the toilets with a toothbrush. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honey, never-ending is the story of my child-rearing life...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Things are looking fabulous!

    I personally think that the decluttering will never end. Ever. No matter how fast I haul stuff out of my house, the faster the kids seem to be able to bring more back in,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I feel your pain. I bought a house, knocked down a wall, put in a whole new kitchen, ripped out the doggy yucky carpets, installed hardwoods floors, painted each room then moved in. Then I decided to gut the backyard and build raised beds. Then it got hot, so I decided to install AC. That rainy season, the roof leaked so I got another one. Then a new front door and a new garage door and the list goes on and on and on...

    Stop now! If you can. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.