Wednesday, February 22, 2012

look

Today I grabbed my camera and looked at life through the lens. Look:

Mr. G pretends he is a wild animal and last night he told me all kinds of details about Ash Wednesday because he's nervous about people rubbing ash on foreheads. Last summer he stuck his hand in fire ash when his friend J was over and burned his fingers, so the thought of Father Dave and Deacon Greg smearing ash on folks worried him, but he thinks they burned everything two days ago and after sprinkling it with holy water, the ash shouldn't hurt anyone. I had no comment since I'm not Catholic and never participated in Ash Wednesday. In fact, I don't think he'll get to participate either, but no matter--he's pretty cute regardless of whether they smudge him or not this morning. Today he growled and rolled around the floor wrapped in blankets.


Mr. B survives on a diet of apples, milk and Nutella sandwiches. I wish I could tell you eats a more balanced diet, but alas, he really does not. I used threats to make him eat asparagus last night. Sometimes he'll eat peanut butter. I never get enough of that kid's smile. The other night while watching Animal Planet he said, "I wish they'd just find Bigfoot already and solve this mystery!"


Mr. T, on the other hand, enjoys a hearty breakfast of Cheerios. Honey Nut or Peanut Butter. He's big into karate once more, and it's nice to have him back in the dojo. His bo staff complex is actually quite good. I'm constantly amazed at how old he is, how mature he can behave, how reasonable he can act. All of my kids wear blankets over their shoulders in the morning, huddled like old peasants around the table while they eat porridge. I kid. I make them eat gruel. Or oatmeal or cereal or toast or granola. You'd think my house was freezing the way these kids wrap up, but it's really not.


I cut forsythia branches so I could force them to bloom and add some color to my table. Sadly, I did this too late for them to bloom for Book Club tomorrow night. So I have a centerpiece of sticks.


My bedside table--I'm reading The Founding Foodies, which is really fascinating. It's about presidents and history and food. A trifecta of good topics presented in a brisk, chronological (important in history books) and conversational way. I'm also slogging through The Old Devils by Kingsley Amis. I hate it. It's about a bunch of middle aged people who spend all their time getting sauced. It won the Booker Prize and people, I've had mixed experiences with Booker Prize-winning books. Sometimes they're amazing, other times they're perfectly dreadful. But then I wonder if I'm not sophisticated or intellectual enough to appreciate their brilliance, because Gee whiz, they won the Booker Prize! And then I think, so what? At the bottom of the stack is my bible where I'm currently bookmarked in the middle of Job.


The project that got moved again. My dear friend A has bequeathed to me all of her vacation slides. I will look at them and cull the good ones. I will, I will. But that stack is daunting. But my love for A is bigger than that stack, so one of these days I will set up that slide projector and start viewing. Pinky-promise.


And speaking of Ash Wednesday, I better look in the cupboard and make sure I have a can of tuna fish for Mr. D to eat tonight...no meat for him today, am I right?

18 comments:

  1. No meat for Mr. D today or all the Fridays between today and Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys are the same..they look like hobbits in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the ashes. Pretty thick over here. I look like I've gone a few rounds with a chimney sweep!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those boys look pretty chipper for morning time. And the bouquet of sticks reminds me of the centerpieces at Brownies Day Camp. One group of girls was always in charge of foraging in the woods to make a centerpiece. Yes, I DO want to eat my lunch with moss and rocks in the middle of the table.

    That is a daunting pile of slides. But think of the pictorial treasures that must be hidden there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeing the ordinary through the lens is eventually the manifestation of memories. Yay for you taking the time to capture the sweetness of Today so you'll have a little something to remind you of when the tomorrows stack up.

    Perhaps it's an odd choice, but Job is my second favorite book. Particularly, Chapter 38.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been through a stack of slides like that...now it's the old photos I've got to go through. Good luck! And check it out - MacD's usually has a Friday special on Filet o' Fish during lent :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a recovering Catholic, don't get me started. The church has WAY more problems than whether I eat meat loaf on Ash Wednesday.

    I want to go through all my dad's slides. We have no family photos before the 1980's because they are all on slides...buried somewhere in my brother's attic. I have found a lot of old pics of my Mom on my cousin's facebook pages!

    The pic of Mr T surprised me the most. He's looking less like a kid and more like a pre-teen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, the slides...I inherited 3 huge boxes of my aunt and uncles slides and I know there are some good ones in there but, 10+ years later, I have yet to go through them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a pity you live so far from me --I can tell just by looking at those pictures that Emma would LOVE to play with those boys. She'd think Mr. G was adorable, she'd want to run outside in the woods searching for Bigfoot with Mr. B, and she'd be trying to impress Mr. T and secretly hoping he liked her.

    I have that same Burt's Bees tin on my nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must say, that Iain Glen just below is very yummy indeed! The first season of Downton Abbey is in the mail!! I will catch up if it's the last thing I do!

    The Founding Foodies does sound quite interesting...The Old Devils, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chica, Mr. T has had a MASSIVE growth spurt, hasn't he? I can't believe how much he's changed since your Christmas card photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic photos. When I take pictures, they come out looking very 1 dimensional.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, life through the lens. My daughter has seen life that way for ages. She is such a photographer.
    I love your guy's thoughts on Ash Wednesday. I'm Protestant; I can totally see the humor in his concern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your ordinary life through the lens... great post!

    i was going to ash wednesday services tonight with amy but ron doesn't feel well so i stayed home with him. we're not catholic... the methodists also observe ash wednesday (amy and her family attend the local methodist church).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm with you on the mixed bag that is the Booker winners. When they're good, they're amazing. Otherwise? Meh.

    GREATLY cute boys there. I adore the blankie-over-the-shoulder look. You're doing well, Ma.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always astounded by how happy kids are!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like Little Miss Sunshine, I too, am a recovering Catholic. But I love that Mr. G. is curious about how it all works. And even cuter that he growls like a wild animal.

    As for wrapping up in blankets, it's all the rage. I do it every morning too!

    ReplyDelete

Spill it, reader.